CD Projekt RED Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
CD Projekt RED Managing Director Adam Badowski
Adam Badowski

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Growing pains, but good heart and amazing talent"

I worked at CD Projekt RED full-time

Pros

excellent ambition, talent, and grit.

Cons

inexperienced management, below industry wages, poland is still a difficult country

Advice to Management

bring in and pay for higher experience levels as the knowledge will spread among the other talented employees making them more productive and increasing quality.

"I can't believe this website..."

Former Employee - Director, Program Management in Warsaw (Poland)
    Former Employee - Director, Program Management in Warsaw (Poland)

I worked at CD Projekt RED full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All I have to say here is that a lot if not all of these reviews below are fake. We often talked to our staff and made sure they are perfectly happy working there. If anything was missing, we'd make sure we had a plan to atleast implement it.
    I no longer work there simply because I got too stressed, and I will never work anywhere if it's stressful, even if it is my dream job. I hate stress.

Cons

This website is a con.

"The best Game Development company in Central Europe"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kraków (Poland)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kraków (Poland)

I have been working at CD Projekt RED full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can agree with only few of the negative reviews placed on this portal and in most cases they are highly exaggerated and subjective.

- Management cares for its employees and seeks for the top talents in entire world.
    - We are working on amazing project, building a spectacular piece of art.
    - There are many benefits from company like Multi Sport card or private Health Care.
    - Crunch hours are being highly rewarded and planned along with developers so if someone doesn't want to stay extra hours he does not need to.
    - HR Team takes care of us being well integrated, there are many events sponsored by company.
    - Standard of the office (especially in Kraków studio) is very high which improves the work comfort.
    - People that you work with respect your opinions and treat you well no matter of your level of experience, gender or age.
    - Our work is being appreciated by supervisors.
    - Salaries are decent for polish standards.

Cons

- Directors take too much on their shoulders. It slows down the workflows.
    - Your career depends a lot on your charisma.
    - Some people like to complain just for sport and spread rumors which shouldn't be accepted by higher management since it affects team spirit.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work :)

4. "Great projects, worse conditions"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warsaw (Poland)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warsaw (Poland)

I worked at CD Projekt RED full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- they make amazing games, best of the best
    - really professional atmosphere, corporate-like, not emotional, like in some other places. There will be no situation where somebody will yell at you etc. This happens a lot in smaller firms.
    - overtime WAS paid and it WAS voluntary. You could say "no".
    - parking space, cantina, quite nice office

Cons

- nice office, though very crowded
    - low salaries. Junior workers earning very, very little, way below industry standard in Poland, senior workers earning 70% of what they can get in other AAA Polish studios. Generally people work there for the project despite the salary.
    - because there is so many people, you don't feel like the project is "yours". You are just the guy who textured jackets of peasants, or animated 3 monsters and a siege tower. And then somebody else took those and tweaked them more, so your original work is not even really in the final game.

Advice to Management

Not really, at the time I worked there it seemed they are doing whatever they can in those conditions (giant company, giant project, small budget in comparison to, for example, Destiny or GTAV)

"I don't know how we pulled off Witcher 3"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warsaw (Poland)

I have been working at CD Projekt RED full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Amazing people to work with (not management)
    - Very cool projects (though you can get stuck on boring tasks for a long time)
    - V.good benefits, including a gym inside the studio
    - No micromanagement, understanding bosses (when it comes to being late, taking day off etc)

Cons

- Low salaries, even for Poland
    - Spreadsheet driven development
    - Game director changing design on a whim, often contradicting himself
    - It's actually 5 people making the game, the rest (hundreds) is just taking orders. Opinions don't matter and are rarely taken into consideration
    - Same management mistakes repeated over and over and over and over again.
    - Who you know > skills, actual knowledge
    - Insane crunch time
    - No time dedicated to polishing the game
    - You need to start managing people to mean something in this company
    - Lots of fake success just to pat ourselves in the back and pretend we're doing fine and no one's, especially management, at fault
    - Some teams are clearly treated with less respect than others, without any facts behind this.

Advice to Management

Get off your high horse, currently you're making Witcher 3 look like a game done despite you, not thanks to you. Respect other opinions, rise salaries, do some actual thinking when planning work.

6. "Good company"

Current Employee - Lever Designer in Warsaw (Poland)
    Current Employee - Lever Designer in Warsaw (Poland)

I have been working at CD Projekt RED part-time (More than a year)

Pros

+High wages
    +Best food
    +Great sky diving expierence
    +United Emirates of Arabia is a great coutry

Cons

-No extra salary for over time!!!!
    -A lot of cycle crunch work hours
    -The employees are being used are pure resources, fake goals to milk the most out of them and afterwards throw in the garbage can with barely payment
    -The company has an annoying constant phobia of Russia with believing news such as:
    Russia invaded crimea
    Putin is a dictator who can do whatever he wants
    etc .......

-Horrible management who are sometimes even lost with the product itself and who are there just because they have invested a lot of time in the company.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like pure resources and hire some real management.

"It was just a waste of time and energy..."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Warsaw (Poland)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Warsaw (Poland)

I worked at CD Projekt RED full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- some folks were cool and talented, but usually they had quit soon..
    - parking lot
    - social events where ok

Cons

- really toxic, 'corpo' atmosphere where you have to watch out for what you say and to whom
    - many people from management are unexperienced, it seems that the only reason they were promoted is that they knew someone from management before. All good people are leaving this company sooner or later.
    - chaos in decision making process
    - tons of your work and engagement will be lost, because things are started and ended in chaotic, thoughtless way
    - micromanagement
    - hard crunching times, which are direct consequences of the decision making process
    - many people is afraid to take any responsibility( especially management guys ), so at the very end decisions are often made by regular workers, who simply have a hard deadline to achieve and cannot wait
    - if anything fails( and fails a lot in this company ), 'the guilty' has to be found - obviously, he/she is always found among regular workers...
    - work is generally boring and repetitive - most of the time you will spend on re-implementing things that were cancelled a few weeks later. You cannot simply use old stuff, because in the meantime most of the things has changed or are gone, because the general vision has changed, etc
    - if you want to gain unique experience and learn something new - you won't find it there
    - unfortunately, things are getting worse and worse with every month IMO

Advice to Management

Well, management is generally close-minded, so I won't waste my time on giving them any advices - they won't listen anyway.

"Cyberpunk 2077?"

Former Employee - Electronics in Warsaw (Poland)
    Former Employee - Electronics in Warsaw (Poland)

I worked at CD Projekt RED full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None..
    None.. None..
    None..

Cons

Trust me.. I was working there and it's really bad.

Advice to Management

What management?

"Mad king, absent minded aristocracy and survivalists"

I have been working at CD Projekt RED full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You'll meet nice and talented folks. You'll also see them run away once they'll catch on with what's going on here.

Cons

Almost everyone from higher and middle managment have clear game vision - regrettably those visions are contradictory. Since those visions are clear no need to discuss them.

CEO is only one willing to take responsibilty and make tough decisions. He also erratic and chaotic person with no interest in gaming.

None of these noblemen are open to feedback as anyone bellow their level is here merely to take orders not to "criticise". At beast you'll be listened to no effect.

Design changes based on cloud patterns, dice roll or what was in TV the night before.

This company has over 400 workers but it's still run as rock band or castle: there are few pals around whom everything is revolving. The rest are expandables.

Crunch here is insane. We read about Bungie's crunch and ME:Andromeda crunch and laughed. And crunch will hit current project hard. Because spreadsheet planning + incompetent overssers = hemorrhoids, bad back and depression.

Advice to Management

Just retire, or focus on family. Please leave making games to poeple who actually who play them, make them and love them.

"Avoid unless you have no choice"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warsaw (Poland)

I have been working at CD Projekt RED full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of talent and great ideas. Cool approach to reach for more and better. Benefit and bonus system are nice, salary is ok.

Cons

It's a company of contradictions. Knowledge loses with charisma, good will is losing with fear of change. After world record crunching on TW3 and its expansions company grew to a level where management has no idea how to handle such an amount of people and problems. Brute force or ignorance is the answer but whatever will happen, hard work of employees will make this company float somehow.

Advice to Management

I wish you a lot of luck.