CDI Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

CDI Corporation Reviews

Updated November 15, 2017

2.0
CDI Corporation President, Interim CEO and Chief Financial Officer Michael Castleman
Michael Castleman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company offers work/life balance - you work hard when you need to, but it is very reasonable especially as a consulting company (in 14 reviews)

• Professional, provided everything that you needed as a contract employee, paid on time, all financial documents were on time (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Frequent turnover of Upper Management and substandard IT services for office engineering staff (in 15 reviews)

• There are NO benefits with this company (in 11 reviews)

1. "Buyer beware!"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at CDI Corporation as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

They have the connections to get you a position with prestigious companies too big to post on the job boards.

Cons

Their business policy seems to be to get warm bodies in the positions at all costs so they can get their commissions no matter what they tell their contractors. I was promised that they "paid" for benefits while working for them full time. When I went to sign up for their health plans I found that they only paid one measly dollar a week, and only for the worst health plan. For any other plan they paid not a single dime. I had to pay for everything. I felt betrayed.

Advice to Management

These people who work for you are human beings, not numbers on a spreadsheet. They have rent to pay, food to buy, some even have families to feed. They work for you. Don't lie to them.

2. "Deceptive"

Current Employee - Welder/Fabricator in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Welder/Fabricator in Irving, TX

I have been working at CDI Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Inside and out of the sun. So called ac controlled building

Cons

Low pay. Most employed are felons. Horrible leadership. Deal with galvenized steel all day. Favoritism.

3. "Great potential, but not right now."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cross Lanes, WV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cross Lanes, WV

I have been working at CDI Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Limited work from home potential

Cons

Non-existent policies and procedures make consistency impossible
    Admin title with no no actual admin responsibilities
    Low salary

Advice to Management

Empower and pay skilled employees what they are worth. Value their input and feedback and positive changes will occur.

"Let go after I got back from mourning a friend who passed the weekend before"

Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at CDI Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed my shift and I was great at handling tickets using Service NOW to make sure they were properly handled if still in an unresolved state.

Cons

Well, I showed up every day since I was hired in July except for the last two days (Friday and Monday) since I had to deal with a wake. I got back Tuesday which was when they let me go on the client's recommendation. Funny thing is the tickets were always directed to the correct help desk.

Advice to Management

A professional company would've been transperant with their client about company's workforce. I would've appreciated if they had foresight to give me room and let me go at the end of the week.

5. "Insulator"

I worked at CDI Corporation full-time

Pros

Nice people, decent bennies.

Cons

Lot of work hours, over nights ,weekends when busy, hot itchy work and don't like to give any raises.

Advice to Management

Do reviews on employees , give raises this is miserable work especially in the summer!

"Too short and crummy management"

I worked at CDI Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was decent and working for them was nice. I liked working there. The layout the office was nice at the beginning.

Cons

Who ever did the medical benefits they where too high and very expensive for medical and double of what I am paying now. Many people kept to them self. Manager didn't manage very well. Location of office was neat but traffic was heavy getting in and out. Sometimes it would take an hour extra to get into work.

Advice to Management

Management didn't care about us and let us go because they lost a major job. What is worse is asking for work when you are finished manager stated that it wasn't his job to find me work call the director. It also didn't help when the manager all of a sudden didn't like you. I worked there for less than 2 years. It was a giant train wreck when it was over. Also made us work so that we worked 4 - 10 hour days, but I worked a half day on Friday. Seemed grueling at times working that schedule. They made some changes that went the wrong way and things got smaller at the office.

"Favoritism Unequal Pay Rampant"

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at CDI Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Experienced competent friendly coworkers and managers

Cons

Days off include holidays and any sick time
    Some staff get 401K matching while others do not
    Core worker policy desciminates against new staff
    Employees doing same job function have significantly different pay rates
    Contracted employees are treated as non-employees
    Company recently sold

Advice to Management

Get rid of Core Employee policy and staff projects on ability, rather than time with company, otherwise there is no incentive for new hires to join the company.

"CDI Corporation - Corporate Office"

I have been working at CDI Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The corporate support departments, i.e. HR, Account, Finance, and IT, are relatively understaffed, so it is easy to take on new responsibilities and build your skillset simply by volunteering for various projects.

Cons

Employee morale is and has been extremely low for the past few years with little to no hope of improvement. This is due to poor company performance, changing or unclear business focus, lack of merit or cost of living increases, no career advancement programs or opportunities, open office work space, little concern for employee work/life balance, few WFH opportunities, extremely expensive benefits, stingy PDO policy for most employees, and the list goes on and on.

9. "Contracting company for tech position"

Former Contractor - IT Project Manager in Southbury, CT
    Former Contractor - IT Project Manager in Southbury, CT

I worked at CDI Corporation as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hands off management style. .. they don't bug you.

Cons

Expensive benefits.
    Indifferent to workers; they are more concerned with company the contracted for the work project. They rely on a single large company that outsourced it's work to CDI contractors.

Advice to Management

Don't rely on a single company, when that company has hard times and has layoffs then CDI suffers.

"Processes need much work"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Dearborn, MI

I worked at CDI Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Varying compensation packages to choose from
    Pleasant team to work with
    CDI University for maintaining or improving skills

Cons

Payroll processes are poor. Frequent mistakes resulting in CDI docking your pay MONTHS later, possibly causing hardship. Not small mistakes. Mistakes on the order of 10 and 20 hours. They will not own their mistakes and will put it on the employee to bear.

Complex process for using/understanding your PTO balance and use. No balance information regularly passed to the employee. You need to ask if you want to know.

Advice to Management

Multiple payroll mistakes putting the burden of fixing (monetarily) on the employee. Months have gone by before the errors were discovered. Errors were significant: 20 hours, 10 hours, etc. Corrected quickly it might not have been an issue but taking $1400 or $700 from your pay months later can be a significant hit.

Own your mistakes and if CDI makes the mistake, eat the cost of that mistake. Don't pass it off to the employee. No incentive to fix your processes if you always put the cost to fix on someone else. You would expect the employee to bear the cost of their mistakes, why wouldn't you bear the cost of yours?

Senior management receives 1 star since, even after multiple meetings on this, they weren't willing to do the right thing. The right thing isn't always "letter of the law."