CDK Global Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Employee

2.0
Brian MacDonald
1 Rating

Pros
  • Work/Life balance was consistently good (in 164 reviews)

• I'm permitted to work from home full time which allows for actual work-home balance without all the commute time (in 71 reviews)

Cons

"Yikes, lots of potential but horrible experience thus far."

Current Employee - Full Time Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Full Time Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at CDK Global full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Tons of great, funny people to socialize with.
    - location is great for those who utilize the train or buses to get from point a, b and c.
    - for those who lack corporate experience, there's a lot of entry level positions that will help you get your foot in the door.
    - great food is also around every block (if time is allowed, but forget even considering if you're working here)
    - free bagels on Mondays and occasional mini events for their employees.
    - wonderful view of the puget sound in the lunchroom area.

Cons

The cons here definitely outweigh the pros unfortunately. I hate to post this here because it has given me experience in my career transition however I've been in the workforce long enough to notice some really negative patterns here:

- lack of transparency between associates and management. When there's a problem, they don't want to go straight to you to talk about it, instead they will go and write you up or report you to whoever has the "power".
    - high levels of micromanaging - forget enjoying your lunches or taking your breaks because they will hunt you down Turok style if you're not seen at your desk for more than 30 minutes.
    - pretty low pay for the skills and experience you have to offer/want to utilize if you are not fresh out of college.
    - forget flexible scheduling - this is not said for all departments (because the salaried ones seem happier but work harder) but there are specific departments that treat you like you're a kid once you clock in.
    - if you're hourly, you get nagged at for not having a perfect time card and if you accidentally go over time.
    - on that note, don't even bother about overtime, it's rarely offered even if you are hourly.
    - they often seek career changers or new grads because they're easier to manipulate into old boy/old corporate operations.
    - imbalanced scheduling privileges - lots of associates have a privilege of homeshoring and once they are on campus they also get to leave early while others are forced to commute to the office and stay late even if clients don't need us that late.
    - prepare for your ideas to be heard but not necessarily listened to or experimented with.
    - the interns seem to be doing more interesting and innovating things than what they will ever allow their full time employees.
    - I have never met a dev in person in my whole time of being here.

Advice to Management

Talk to your associates first before reporting them or "escalating" - maybe there's a misunderstanding you can clear up before losing your employee and making them resent management and the workplace.

Give your employees a chance to utilize new ways of approaching and solving problems. There's a lot of wasted talent not being used here.

Allow departments to collaborate with each other.

Please bring back flexible work hours. I probably would have considered retaining my loyalty if my schedule wasn't drastically changed.

Consider doing salary positions versus hourly - this is not high school anymore.

"Incredible environment to mature professionally can't outweigh poor leadership, office politics and sub-par compensation"

Former Employee - Cobalt Group Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Cobalt Group Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Challenging work in a fast paced environment that attracts diverse employees and fosters out of the box thinking to succeed.

Cons

Low pay & poor benefits. Scorched Earth policy towards employee development long term. Inconsistent focus on business objectives and lack of transparency from one department to the next. Conflicting goals from one department to the next often set individuals or business units at odds. Leadership hypocrisy is notable and much emphasis is placed on an employee's perception rather than reality of value delivered. Employees often fall victim to attrition or set up to fail as a result.

Advice to Management

Invest in your existing employees professional development instead of replacIng them once used up. Foster loyalty and trust among your workforce. Take ownership of leadership weaknesses and correct them rather than ignore.