CDK Global Reviews | Glassdoor

CDK Global CEO Brian Krzanich
Brian Krzanich

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "On occasion as with any business of our size work life balance can be a challenge - but doable" (in 41 reviews)

• "Too much upper management changes" (in 74 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I enjoy working at CDK"

Current Employee - Digital Advertising Strategist in South Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Digital Advertising Strategist in South Seattle, WA

I have been working at CDK Global full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Collaborative, helpful, and friendly coworkers; managers genuinely want to help you do you job better (without micromanaging); Opportunities for learning and growth

Cons

Normal frustrations of being a part of a large corporation with many departments and levels of bureaucracy .

Advice to Management

Focus towards making CDK a leader in digital marketing/advertising.

"Reviews shouldn’t sway you"

I have been working at CDK Global full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, nice office, reasonably priced benefits, friendly co workers

Cons

The recent lay offs have caused a very negative look at CDK, but most people are not well informed enough to form a real opinion. Large companies go through this a lot. It’s horrible for people to lose their jobs, but sometimes it’s smart to consolidate departments and restructure.

"Great Coworkers, Not a great corporate environment"

I worked at CDK Global full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people you work with every day are really great. Because of the many cuts over the past 4 years, those left are mostly positive, good people that are great to work with. Also, for the most part, the work/life balance is good.

Cons

Things have really gone downhill for the employee at this company over the past 4-5 years. It went from a company that truly values the employees to one where the employee is a second-class citizen. It's surprising since this stance has caused a lot of truly great employees to leave and find better companies to work for. Those left are trying hard to keep things together, but the cuts were way too deep and the customer base is very angry at the level of support they receive. The new CEO might help, but it's going to take time and a lot of re-building. I worry that they won't be able to bail out water fast enough to keep the ship from sinking.

Advice to Management

Get rid of most of the C-Level positions that Brian McDonald brought on - they didn't do the company any good and look at the stock now - every few days it hits another 52-week low. Start investing in your employees or else you will lose so many of the top talent that you won't be able to recover. But TRULY invest in employees, don't just set up a program for training managers and assume that will fix all of the problems.

"New CEO Announcement"

I have been working at CDK Global full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

CDK just announced a new CEO: Brian Krzanich, former CEO of Intel. He spoke at our global town hall and he came across as a very genuine leader. With such a passion for autonomous vehicles as well as his stated interest in increasing morale, I am now more than ever excited to work for CDK. He is a former software engineer and his perspective of removing doors from executive offices and sitting in a cube among the developers and the rest of the staff is so refreshing. Very excited to see how our culture changes.

Cons

While we are still process-driven, I am hoping that with a push toward using data as more of a decision maker will continue to speed things up in the end. I am looking forward to increasing our machine learning capabilities both in our external products as well as internally.

Advice to Management

Continue to evolve and push forward fast.

NOTE: My rating of the CEO is reflective of Brian Krzanich, NOT Brian McDonald.

"Sales is no longer fun"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at CDK Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At FIRST, I liked working for one of the leaders in the industry. Right now, that Pro is at risk, I fear.

Cons

I'm reading a lot of the comments from my peers and, unfortunately, I can tell which ones are from actual employees, and which ones may have been added by those that either are NOT on the front lines, or are in a place within upper management and trying to equal out the negative reviews. There isn't a position around, and I'm talking worker bees, Directors, and even into GM's, that aren't feeling the extreme disjointed working of the company at the corporate level right now. For anyone that's been with us for 10+ years, and say there are "no cons" is just not truthful. We're going thru a lot right now - most of it is generated by Corporate. The employees are ALL really good people, and we've given blood sweat and tears to our customers to keep these products working - and they are good products. BUT Corp is cutting so may corners for what EVERYONE assumes is to make us look at profitable as possible, so that we'll be bought soon - that it's having the opposite affect! Customers see it, the industry sees it, employees and perspective employees see it -- and the competition is drooling over the opportunities that are theirs for the taking. Corp just doesn't and doesn't care - thinking a customer will leave because Sales doesn't visit them...NOT because they can't get support to save their lives (Sending all to the community is ludicris! and they know what I mean by this). It's been so long since those that have a $14M paycheck have had to pay bills, and try to keep their families afloat -- I'm sure if we pushed the CEO position off to India, many would notice. Most of all, I'm just sad about what we look like to those on the outside now. To our Clients: The Employees are with you and we truly do have excellent applications -- we apologize for the decisions made by those at a corporate level who have NEVER worked in a store before. We're trying to make them see. And to whoever is planning on buying CDK -- please do it soon! Or we'll fade off into oblivion.
    For Sales, they have a long, detailed, and VERY difficult pay plan and policies that make it extremely hard for you to make money. When you decipher their codes and figure out how to use it to get the customers what they need AND somehow make a paycheck, while jumping thru literally 4K hoops, if you by chance do well and make it to "Club" - you are a target now. Once you figure out how to do it so that you make a decent commission from a deal, they plug those holes in the plan to insure you DON'T make the same money as you did last year. Increased quotas, decreased commissions, decreased discounting capabilities (Dealers say we are already too expensive and leave for smaller, less expensive providers), and LOOOOONNNNGGG wait times for the equipment and software they purchase, with empty promises of a new DMS and iPhone-like addon applications coming years down the line - that doesn't help the company NOW. Since they only pay Sales half at the time it's sold, and the other half when it's installed 5-8 months later, you're stuck staying until you can get paid on what you rightfully sold. We have some really talented sales people who sell on relationships in this industry. It's hard because I don't think Corporate cares that not only is CDK's reputation suffering, but the employees - WHO ARE PEOPLE YOU KNOW - are feeling it worse.

Advice to Management

What will it take for you guys to HEAR what your employees are saying! They go to Glassdoor because you don't listen to the surveys - even then, the surveys are built to have only the answer you want to hear. Internal emails to us telling us not to use Glassdoor won't help, and eventually (like now) it will become apparent when you see fake reviews popping up -- employees won't mark those "helpful" because we know they aren't real. Don't ruin the years we've spent building this company to what it is. Sell us NOW and then leave, and God help the next company you destroy.

6. "There are worse places"

Former Employee - Client Technical Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Client Technical Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at CDK Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked this company well enough. solid benefits and decent rate of pay. People didn't leave when I was there. management was ok.

Cons

Feels like you are treated like a kid

Advice to Management

Cater to your employees

"Feels like there's finally a light at the end of the tunnel..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at CDK Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible people. My team is smart, hard-working, fun and inspiring. The work is interesting and meaningful.

THE BEST NEWS is that we have a new CEO! Brian K. seems like a visionary leader, and I am thrilled that the former CEO's reign is over. I know it's early, but it seems as if we finally have a leader in place who wants to propel us forward, and not hold us back. The negative reviews you'll see on this page are reflective of where we were- NOT of where we are going. For the first time in a long time, I'm proud to be here, and excited to see what we can accomplish.

Cons

We've seen many competent and wonderful people laid off in the last couple of years. It's been a hard journey.

Advice to Management

Use the momentum behind the CEO announcement to make this place what it used to be! Spend money on engagement and team building and convince people to stay!

"ouster of CEO"

Former Employee - Cta in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Employee - Cta in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at CDK Global full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Free parking and free coffee hard working associates

Cons

Greed of CEO and his underlings in upper management. Stripped the company of associates with knowledge and replaced with young inexperienced associates where customer service centers became a "churn & burn" call center. High turnover in customer facing positions.

Advice to Management

Work on keeping front line employees and hire fewer VP's and directors. Compensation that went to former CEO was beyond ridiculous.

"Exciting times"

Current Employee - Director in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Director in Portland, OR

I have been working at CDK Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New CEO in Brian Krzanich from the top down. Truly excited for the vision, future and innovations. Hope he can use connections to pull talent and new customers in.

Cons

Too much work not enough time.

Advice to Management

Welcome, Glad to have Brian on-board.

"CDK"

I have been working at CDK Global full-time

Pros

Nice co-workers, people with extended knowledge of how dealerships run their business.

Cons

The company is running a muck today. There is no direction from senior/middle management. Too many layoffs to count, and no one left to pick up the work and move forward.