CDK Global Reviews

57 Comments

Tech

206.7K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=CDK Global~870191
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Poor management and follow through.(in 161 reviews)
  • "Constant layoffs of hard working folks in the U.S. Sending any remaining jobs to India to save a buck.(in 101 reviews)
  • "Managers don't understand the job or how long doing it right takes and are very out of touch.(in 79 reviews)
  • "Upper management is only concerned about call wait times, not about quality of work/support.(in 73 reviews)
  • "Senior leadership explained to me before I left for a new opportunity that the office in Seattle was toxic.(in 61 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of CDK Global and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Flexible Great Company

May 19, 2022 - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible Management Great Team Used Agile and regular meetings to discuss new tech

Cons

Older stack but they were upgrading

2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Avoid working here unless you like doing nothing

May 10, 2022 - Software Engineer in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

They don't expect much out of you really. If you're working remotely it's basically a part time job.

Cons

The culture is so outdated, the same pro is also its biggest con. No one has any sense of urgency. - IT takes weeks to months (this happened to me regularly ) to respond to simple requests. - They send broken laptops out to developers then make it difficult to exchange. - HR is a joke, they filed my taxes for the majority of the last year I worked there under the wrong state, completely messing up my taxes and are almost impossible to get back in touch with. - They say they're modernizing the whole infrastructure but in the 2 years I was there I didn't see any progress that had any beneficial impact whatsoever. - If you're an engineer I hope you like grossly outdated stacks. - They take projects to juuuust about completion then in the final sprints before it's ready to ship, the project gets cancelled unceremoniously. I know this happens in software but the amount of times it happened here was just nuts. CDK is where engineers go to retire. I'm sure other departments are fine to work in, but avoid working here if you have any plans on furthering your career as an engineer.

1 person found this review helpful
  3. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Large Organization with Small Company Problems.

Apr 24, 2022 - Senior Financial Analyst in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good culture, great benefits. Do you due diligence when it comes to the hiring manager. Definitely reach out to others you don’t report to, regardless of positive or negative interactions. There are many intelligent people at the company.

Cons

Terrible remote and onboarding. May differ based on the manager. Mine was not good and that’s an understatement. I had to tell my manager to input expectations/goals into the HR system 1 day before they were due (+120 days after employment) and set up the meeting for that…1000% out of any job expectations for any company.. My 10% bonus was based off of that as well as an annual raise. Yikes!

4 people found this review helpful
  4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good place to work

May 16, 2022 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

good tech stack, great learning

Cons

leave policy, not unlimited leaves

5. 4.0
    Former Employee

Great Company!

May 12, 2022 - Customer Service Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible Scheduling Forgiving Management Easy to learn Great Work Environment

Cons

The work there can be tedious at times.

6. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

A polished turd is still a turd

May 9, 2022 - CTA III in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Hard to want to list any because the taste is so bad. An okay job while you're looking for something better is all I can say.

Cons

Companies lies about Unlimited PTO Awful cost of living and performance raises Promotions are more likely to be given to less tenured staff. Director and Department management have a tendency to ignore the cries for help of their clients and co workers. Wages are competitive only at the 1st tier tech positions. Your performance metrics are pulled from unreliable software. HR is non responsive.

1 person found this review helpful
  7. 4.0
    Current Employee

My hope is to retire here

May 4, 2022 - Software Engineer III
    Business Outlook

Pros

great pay, great benefits, good people. The focus is on improving the product.

Cons

Upper management sometimes steers things in the wrong way.

8. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Pros

The "Pros" here are not recognized. By that, I mean the people who actually show up to work and do their work great are treated like garbage. So maybe this belongs in the cons, but Glassdoor requires requires a "Pro", so I'll tell you that people who are ambitious, motivated, and looking to make positive change in this company, the real "Pros" that create actual pros, don't appear to actually succeed here. Those who stay here for years with a sane mind: I don't know how you do it.

Cons

I have re-written this review many, many times. I have tried to remove all emotion from this review, and I've calculated carefully when I felt it was right to post this and what to say, and it still doesn't feel right. There are too many factors as to why I'm no longer here, which I will explain. I also understand for legal and ethical reasons that I have to be ambiguous as possible, so here it goes.. This was the worst place I have ever worked at during my ENTIRE professional career, and I have seen my share of employers to know who is looking out for the employees who actually show up to work, and the employers who see everyone as an object. During my entire tenure at CDK, it is my opinion that I saw the company saw me as an object, and not a person. Otherwise, I don't think I would have ever left. I also want individuals who look into applying at CDK to understand what they may be getting themselves into, and what the impact of working here will have on their life will be like. If you're big into the tech industry and have an open mind, are hungry to learn, you may work here for a time, but with CDK's operations at the time of my departure, the only way they can possibly create success is to change everything. At some point, you'll feel a crushing weight of responsibilities you can't possibly maintain. It's not so much that this job will eat up a big chunk of your time, it's the fact that not even a 40 hour week is manageable for anyone who actually shows up to work and cares. I felt burned out, depressed, exhausted, and my co-workers were very much the same. I've also had plenty of time to be separated from CDK, and I still suffer "side-effects" from working here. There are very good reasons for all of this, and many of these are incredibly poor decisions made by management. These poor decisions include understaffing, rushing new hires on training, many of which quit before they got out onto the floor. I don't know the official reasons why the agents we were trying to bring on kept leaving so often, but I can put myself in their shoes and understand. There is no incentive to stay. Not all of us have to worry about losing their living if they cannot find work, but I had to worry about my living. I had to work in a dumpster fire to survive. It got to a point where everyday was like running a marathon through sludge, and the"Sunday scaries" rivaled my nightmares--thinking about how someone could lay into me or blow up on me ht next day, and then the next day, and the next...and these aren't the company's customers we're concerned about here, bless their poor souls. There is a huge problem the company has with their PTO policy, and it is the fact that they state is is "unlimited" PTO, when there is an actual cap on the policy. The cap of which, was not known before the policy went into effect, and was also not known for some time until the policy had already been in effect for a while. When I found out about my cap, management claimed it to be below 100, or 80, or whatever, it seemed like the numbers fluctuated, and as a result, those of us who wanted to take vacation or had to miss work due to illness could never adequately plan when we would actually run out of PTO. A lot of companies introduced COVID pay during the first year of the COVID-19 pandemic that stayed in place for nearly two years for a lot of employers, however CDK chose not to adopt a COVID pay policy, likely because they already had an "unlimited" policy already in place. You can probably see how this could lead to someone not getting paid who was out with COVID, right? I also do not appreciate coming back to work after a devastating life-change with one of the first things I get from my superior is that I'm running out of PTO...this really solidifies further that I was an object, and not a human to them. Hiring and managerial decisions in our division/department also left a terrible taste in my mouth. I could care less about the amount of money I am making, I care about how I'm treated, and how other people around me are being treated, because people COMMUNICATE. THAT IS WHAT MAKES A BUSINESS EFFECTIVE. If you give your employees nothing but bad things to say about you, they will talk about that more than any and every good thing the company has ever done. As it goes for my direct superior, this person demonstrated behavior that became more erratic later into my tenure, where meetings were de-railed by them, they would change the topic entirely, or just lose track of what was happening and what was going on. This person wanted to demote me too, and when this happened, I put my pedal to the floor on finding a new place to work. I had already experienced similar erratic behaviors in a previous employer (but not demotion), and I refused to let myself go through something like that again. I learned a lot here, which is great, but I took nothing I learned at CDK with me to my future employment, except the knowledge of what an incredibly toxic work environment is like. CDK may have expanded my resume, but I know very well if I had been looking in the right places, I would have found a far better job. At least I learned what a toxic workplace is like. Let's go over it, one last time in case what I wrote above doesn't make sense: ⦁ People who show up to actually work and care are generally miserable. There are good people who are miserable, but there are apples that spoil the entire bunch, and make the work environment hostile. ⦁ Toxic personalities are present, with toxic behaviors present in the environment with little done to correct them, some of them termination worthy (repeated offense or first-offense term worthy), but nothing is done because the company can't lose the resources (which is odd, because they'll eventually lose anyway, I don't understand this logic) ⦁ The type of people who work here who don't actually show up to work, they have sneaky ways of cheating the system, lying to others, and get by without doing any actual work, or making any effort. ⦁ If any hostile behavior is directed toward you and you report it to your superior, little will be done with it. Sure, they may say something at a meeting, but because they claim they can't fire anyone, chaos reigns. What if someone takes it even further, will they get fired or properly disciplined then? ⦁ Co-workers in meetings expressing displeasure about wearing masks and would get into conspiracy theories...is this a workplace or a town hall? This made a lot of us with common sense feel unsafe whenever there were discussions about returning to the office, or just the idea of it, really. This also insulted co-workers who had loved ones who died of COVID. I draw the line at individuals putting other people's health at risk in this way. There were also plenty of words said by others about vaccines in general, said employees touting anti-vaxx conspiracies to other employes in our department. This is not professional behavior. ⦁ Calling out the actual issues in a department/division meeting will be met with oppression by management. There are consequences if you can't be transparent or communicative with your employees, or if you restrict your employees from doing so. ⦁ You'll find much better price on benefits at other companies (don't forget that "unlimited" PTO policy, as you don't want to use all of your "unlimited" hours!) This current 3.7/5 Glassdoor rating for CDK is also insulting: I personally find this rating is absolutely artificial, and does not properly represent the company to any extent. This is a company where if the rating on a scale of 1-5, it should be in the 1s, not the 3s.

9. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Significant Room for Improvement

Mar 25, 2022 - Data Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company's core platform and products are very good, if antiquated. Their vision for the future of automotive is pretty bold, even if it's unreasonable. There are some truly knowledgeable and interesting people to work with.

Cons

The company has embraced the Silicon Valley mindset of software as a service/subscriptions for life. This has resulted in a drive to unify the company's various platforms and services. Unfortunately, this merge is hampered by weak leadership, lack of proper funding, and a refusal to listen to industry veterans. Most of the leaders who can bring projects past obstacles and impediments have been pushed out in favor of the they/thems.

2 people found this review helpful
  10. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Fun, Appreciative, Good pay

May 7, 2022 - Associate Technical Project Manager in San Jose, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

-good pay -diverse -work is actually fun

Cons

-private so no stocks, recent news

Viewing 1 - 10 of 2,503 Reviews

CDK Global Reviews FAQs

CDK Global has an overall rating of 3.7 out of 5, based on over 2,715 reviews left anonymously by employees. 76% of employees would recommend working at CDK Global to a friend and 63% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 6% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, CDK Global employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.6 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at CDK Global. This rating has improved by 4% over the last 12 months.

76% of CDK Global employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated CDK Global 3.9 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.8 for culture and values and 3.6 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at CDK Global to be benefits, work life balance, coworkers and the cons to be senior leadership, career development, management.

Popular Careers with CDK Global Job Seekers