CDK Global Reviews | Glassdoor

CDK Global Reviews

Updated February 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Work/Life balance was consistently good (in 149 reviews)

• I'm permitted to work from home full time which allows for actual work-home balance without all the commute time (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • On occasion as with any business of our size work life balance can be a challenge - but doable (in 27 reviews)

• New changes have been made with upper-management that leaves employees wondering what changes will come next (in 47 reviews)

"Managed Data Services"

Current Employee - Client Technical Analyst III in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Client Technical Analyst III in Columbus, OH

I have been working at CDK Global full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay Scale is rewarding
    Job Training
    Lots of departments and business units
    Great facilities in Austin, TX and Cincinnati, OH

Cons

Lots of growing pains caused by M&A and some outsourcing that never quite went away. Usually it felt like we were fighting multiple agendas.
    Many conflicting interests
    Lack of Focus
    Management is inexperienced, many of the managers were forced out and replaced due to relocation
    Petty favoritism
    "Us" vs. "Them"
    Very Poor Resource Management
    Current CEO is an interim "fixer" type. Lots of consolidation and gutting.

Advice to Management

Keep your resumes updated; doubtful the MDS department will last another 5 years. The whole industry is "moving in another direction"

Feb 6, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. It’s great to hear your positive comments about CDK’s remuneration, training, size and facilities. We have an amazing opportunity to improve the ... More

2. "Rewarding Experience"

Current Employee - Consultant in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Consultant in Detroit, MI

I have been working at CDK Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance
    Lots of training / learning opportunities
    room for growth
    Great people to work with
    Comp is decent

Cons

Pricey medical benefits/ high deductibles
    No parking coverage in Detroit ( monthly parking downtown can be over $200 )

Advice to Management

Keep transparency with employees
    Offer better benefits

"Good company on a massive decline."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at CDK Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance is good, work from home is very flexible.
    Co-workers are great, lots of interesting people to get to know from different backgrounds.
    Seemingly Impossible to get Fired (maybe a negative)
    Ping pong :)

Cons

No one cares anymore
    Agile development is a thing of the past
    Declining benefits ( healthcare is atrocious )
    Management at all levels making terrible decisions

Advice to Management

Pay attention to people's complaints. They are widely shared among developers and many people are looking for new jobs. Take some time to plan things out before jumping into them.

Feb 21, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to contribute your feedback. CDK is driven by our mission to evolve the automotive retail experience by delivering phenomenal customer service and building ... More

"Good work life balance"

Current Employee - Social Media Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Social Media Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at CDK Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

work life balance
    work remote
    low pressure
    opportunity to learn

Cons

not much opportunity for growth

Feb 7, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time provide feedback, and for being part of CDK. It’s great to hear your positive comments about CDK’s work-life balance, flexible working arrangements, work environment and ... More

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Leader in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Leader in Portland, OR

I have been working at CDK Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful people and an excellent leadership team with vision and execution
    Executive leadership is very engaged and approachable
    If you appreciate engineering excellence, customer delight, thought leadership and innovation this is an awesome place to work.
    Great breadth of technology ranging from Java stack to Microsoft stack to Open stack
    Lots of growth opportunities, both in career ladder and skill set inventory
    Market leadership and dominance in the solution space
    Solid financial stability and business model

Cons

Work life balance could be better. Though this is more on the associates themselves, business factors do influence.
    Change is good and is necessary, but too many changes are being implemented in parallel

Advice to Management

CDK needs to run its global team as one unified team, instead of India having its own leadership ladder, with non-aligning goals resulting in no accountability for short comings or failures. India team always seem to be protected no matter what the business outcome has. Leadership should have direct solid line responsibility across shores and it should go both ways. Irrespective of the location of the leader, there should be solid line direct reporting structure rather than teams reporting through a separate chain of command. This is our own captive center, but we act and treat India team like a vendor.

Some business processes are broken or simply not there.

7. "Overall review"

I worked at CDK Global full-time

Pros

I was fortunate to be in an awesome, fun loving and caring team. CDK accommodates for this to happen

Cons

Although it has a big umbrella of products and services running on latest technologies, it still burdens itself with carrying on with legacy products and technology.

Advice to Management

Transition of legacy technologies might need to be fast tracked to attain swift progress into the future.

"OK"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDK Global full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Varied work and very interesting.

Cons

Layoffs always pending and looming.

Feb 7, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback, and for your contribution over the last 10+ years. CDK is on a mission to evolve the automotive retail experience through state-of-the-art products ... More

"I'm sure there are worse company's to work for but this ones pretty bad."

I have been working at CDK Global full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I seldom have to meet management in person. I get a paycheck every two weeks. My coworkers are good people.

Cons

Repressive and fear based management. It's all about the bad things management can do to you. Excessive policies and micromanagement. The many, many day to day rules we are required to follow are mainly just roadblocks which prevent the actual job from getting done. The sticks outweigh the carrots by a large margin. Understaffing and unreasonable workloads make the sticks unavoidable and the carrots, if they exist at all, unattainable. Management is easy to talk to but there will be no positive movement, only lip service. Upper management shows no cohesive plan to get us out of the mess they've put us in other than taking it out on the employees. HR is a joke, they’ll rubber stamp anything that gets through legal review.

There is one company car policy for us with two choices, take it or go find another job. They take $100.00 a month out of our check for personal mileage. We also pay taxes on that money. There are two reasons why most of us drive as few personal miles as possible. 1) Extreme Big Brother tracking. A gps and cellular equipped device is plugged into the OBD2 connector. The OBD2 connector knows everything that’s going on with the car right down to whether the doors are locked, brake and throttle position, turn signals, etc. This data along with location, speed and even g-force is transmitted to a server and stored. They have reserved to right to do anything they want with the data which includes selling our driving record and location data to anyone they want as many times as they want. 2) An 18 page company car policy that forbids many every day, perfectly legal activities. You can’t even pick up a gallon of gas or lighter fluid because all flammables are forbidden. There are multiple scenarios where they reserve the right to charge you the full repair cost and a catch all for anything they missed, whatever THEY determine to be negligence.

It’s just a job and I do it for a paycheck. Moral is at an all-time low everywhere. I’ll take less to work for a company that treats its people with dignity and respect and I’ll work a lot harder for them.

Advice to Management

Your employee and client management philosophy has failed. Smaller clients are leaving at an alarming rate. The layoffs make everything move slower. You’ve created an “every man for himself” atmosphere and not a team atmosphere. A complete change in your way of thinking is needed. I am truly sorry to sound so negative but that’s the way it is and you made it that way.

"Not great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at CDK Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is some work life balance, IF your account load is appropriate(more on that later), snacks during the week.

Cons

Management is not great, raises and promotions are largely based on favoritism, way too many accounts to be an affective "consultant", perks that do not match the industry standard in the area, pay is well below market, parking isn't covered.

Advice to Management

You have to do better if you want to attract the type of talent you say you want. Detroit is the heart of the auto industry. No one in the Detroit office has to work for CDK if they want to work in automotive marketing, there are way too many opportunities outside of CDK. You need to be competitive with pay and perks. Other agencies can do it, why can't you? Parking is the bare minimum that you should be covering in full. No reimbursements, no money added to paychecks to be taxed. Employees should just be handed a parking pass if you want them to work downtown since no consisten work from home option is offered in Detroit. Again, every other company can do it. Stop being cheap or you will continue to lose your employees to your competitors.

Feb 21, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

CDK came to Detroit for many reasons - to be closer to our customers, for the city’s automotive spirit and culture, and to find talented people. We are driven by our mission to evolve the automotive ... More

11. "Laser Artwork Specialist Level II"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at CDK Global full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Enjoyed my past position at the company because of all the great people. My job offered me the opportunity to expand and develop specialized expertise.

Cons

CDK Global was formerly ADP Dealer Services, and after the transition it appeared they were attempting to replace former seasoned employees with less experienced newcomers.

Advice to Management

Try to avoid "dummying down" in your market place because it will only leave you lacking in quality employees. Show appreciation of your employees because their the backbone of your organization.