CDK Global Reviews | Glassdoor

CDK Global Reviews

Updated February 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Work/Life balance was consistently good (in 148 reviews)

• I'm permitted to work from home full time which allows for actual work-home balance without all the commute time (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • On occasion as with any business of our size work life balance can be a challenge - but doable (in 27 reviews)

• New changes have been made with upper-management that leaves employees wondering what changes will come next (in 47 reviews)

"Management lacks professionalism."

Pros

They are a major player in their market.

Cons

Management lacks professionalism: they need to improve.

"n/a"

I have been working at CDK Global full-time

Pros

Location is close to home

Cons

Company struggling for overall direction

"Client Technical Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at CDK Global (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, American based technical support, good team work.

Cons

Eliminating a lot of experienced people to bring in cheaper labor. Career support associates replaced with Millennials with entry level experience and then closing key support centers?

Advice to Management

Opening a tax free office in an economically depressed area and slowly handing over support to India isn't going to work. It failed in Hyderabad before. Rumors hold a lot of weight when the truth is never discussed.

5. "Great Company with loads of opportunity"

Current Employee - Director of Sales
    Current Employee - Director of Sales

I have been working at CDK Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quickly transitioning into a true technology company with major focus on product, end-user experience, and not holding to the old ways of a sales driven company by applying more focus on being product driven. I was warned during the hiring process (that was laborious and even challenging) that, "it's hard to get in [get hired] and even harder to leave." I find this to be 100% correct. Our new leadership has had tremendous impact; they have made and are continuing to make our company more efficient for both employees and customers.

Cons

With major changes and re-orgs comes a certain degree of ambiguity. It can be difficult to feel secure as we're evolving so rapidly, but without change, what is life? ;) Even with uncertainties, consistent, effective interdepartmental communication could really help with everyone feeling a bit more confident in their roles and missions.

401k Plan is fee heavy and straight out of the 90s - a bunch of churners. Just read everything about management costs and find the conservative, low costs funds - they're there, they just push you to do others.

Advice to Management

I would say interdepartmental communication could be improved. I hear the messaging from leadership, and myself along with my peers are on board. However, I think the hype around the org, and the end result has began to subside. I think it would be valuable to the employees to hear the steps (broad strokes is fine) of how we get there with minimal ambiguity; that's hard, I know.

"CDK: It is not pretty"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at CDK Global full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Immediate co-workers
    - Work/Life balance
    - Honestly, nothing much else.
    - At least the CEO doesn't outwardly lie about layoffs, 'leverage our global workforce' is the template answer to any question about shifting jobs overseas.

Cons

- Health care benefits, worst I've ever seen it here in at least a decade. Expensive, poor coverage. You should see our internal conversations over this.
    - All new hires in the last two years have been cheap, low-level employees with little experience, or to south asian offices, where turnover, language barriers, and poor quality code are the norm. It has never worked in past attempts, but they are forcing the issue to save money. CDKs applications and systems are complicated, because the requirements of our customers are complicated, you cannot expect a new hire to jump in and replace a tenured, knowledgeable employee right away.
    - Upper management skirting the edge of age discrimiation with layoffs, encouraged retirement. Decades of customer and application experience have left the company, and customers are noticing.
    - Vague mission statement proclamations to evolve the retail experience, which nobody really understands. How much money was spent on that?
    - Employees are tired of taking it on the chin, year after year, month after month for a company that shows little loyalty and takes away more than it gives. Motivation at an all time low.

Advice to Management

I am looking forward to the boilerplate copy/paste HR reply to this (if they decide to) that nobody bothers to read.
    Our software applications and systems are complicated at CDK because the business processes of our customers are complex. You cannot expect low level new hires, or offshored 'temporary' employees to be able to support them right away. So letting go of experience, talented reps might save you money in the short term, but you will suffer in the long term (as we have already seen with the lost contract a few months back - how much recurring revenue did we lose?) The layoffs send the message that you do not care about customer service or quality products. How long before we start losing other dealer groups? I am betting our CEO will have moved on to a different company by then.

"CDK Global"

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at CDK Global full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

if you are an investor, nice especially when they sell so top management can walk away set for life. If you are a VP or a senior director, grab the cash & run..

Cons

all chiefs no Indians....great place to start in sales...they will feed you & pay you very little but make you feel special...under 25 great start!! If you have knowledge but gasp, if you have experience & tenure, you are just taki ng up space...

Advice to Management

stop being so greedy...biding your time waiting for the "sale" - actually act like you care

"Forms Builder"

Current Employee - Forms Builder in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Forms Builder in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDK Global full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good PTO, lot of good people.

Cons

Growing workloads put strain on everyone on the front line.

"A Shell of its Former Self"

I have been working at CDK Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meh. There aren't many left,for employees. I guess a couple products finally seeing improvements after what seems like centuries (in software terms) of poor development.

Cons

Not doing right by their employees. Slashing positions and benefits like crazy...All in the name of pleasing their Wall Street minders. Company was already grossly porfitable, but investors installed a cut and slash CEO to make even more for the 1%. They don't treat their employees like a profitable tech company, so many are leaving as just about everyone offers better, more affordable benefits than this place.

Advice to Management

They don't need any...Just ask them. Campy CEO wants to hear "straight talk", but you'll be fired if it not what he wants to hear.

CDK Global Response

Feb 7, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback and for being part of CDK. We have an exceptional opportunity to evolve and influence the automotive retail industry. We take pride in the strengths and collective ... More

"Hang on to your hats"

I have been working at CDK Global full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I'll be leaving shortly and won't have to deal with the fallout

Cons

They are letting go the dedicated "workhorses" from Hoffman, who have years of experience and understand how hard the jobs are and the impact their work has on the rest of the company and our clients. The new Norwood team is overwhelmed and unprepared to work hard or deal with the stress of the jobs. Management seems to thing everything is going great because they are not in the trenches to see what is happening. Management doesn't even understand the complexity of the work.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes to what is really happening. If you don't see the problems your customers will not hesitate to tell you.

CDK Global Response

Feb 6, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. AT CDK we have an exceptional opportunity to drive change and evolve the automotive retail experience through state-of-the-art products and ... More

11. "Painful going through all the changes, however CDK will be an even better company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I have been working at CDK Global full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People, ability to continue to learn new skills, challenging work, put the customer first!

Cons

Too many changes at once which created a very unstable work environment which caused some excellent people to leave. Some of the newer people automatically think something has not been done correctly because it is from the ADP/CDK. Seek to understand first before jumping to this conclusion.