CDM Media 50 Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CDM Media CEO Glenn Willis
Glenn Willis

Pros
  • Great people in a highly collaborative environment (in 8 reviews)

• Good people all around in each of the different departments, helping each other succeed (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management may be the core problem here (in 8 reviews)

• They do not care about the employees, they give and then take away, dangle the carrot around commissions, bonuses, even vacation time (in 3 reviews)

"Left to travel the world but I would return"

I worked at CDM Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined after having done some face to face selling in the B2C world. The comparison of the daily routine vs what I was doing was very surprising and much better with CDM. I was giving a full week training by one of the managers from Chicago then joined the RM team. We worked on a long table in a nice open environment which was helpful as I was able to ask lots of Qs to manager and others on the team. The job itself was easy enough if you were willing to stay some extra hours. For me I had to stay an extra 3-4 hours a week and often a few of us would go have a drink at the bar afterwards which the office director would pay for. I found success a little hard to come by as I was stubborn to the sales process having sold previously but was averaging 3-4 attendees booked to attend the events with a higher than usual retention rate which helped me earn some nice commission checks. I also saw quick career advancement and was promoted to run and train a small team before I left. I personally left as I wanted to travel but would consider returning if I come back to NYC.

Cons

The mandatory break times werent great and the elevators in the office were slow. Sometimes you would lose delegates that you booked to last minute drop outs on there side but most of the time we could ask them to do another event. It just sucked if they chose an event 6 months away as you wouldn't get paid until that event happened.

Advice to Management

To be honest a good analytical and training manager would help. I would find it hard towards the end of my 2 years to get information. I don't think this was as much as I couldn't access it but my boss was travelling and the only other sales manager didn't know much at all.

2. "Business Development Manager at CDM Media-Chicago IL"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at CDM Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at CDM Media for 8 months. The only reason I left was because I moved home for personal reasons.

The people who work here are truly awesome. You all take breaks and eat lunch at the same time so you get to spend a lot of time with these people. Each person who works there brings something unique to the company. Truly met some of the most interesting and engaging people during my time there.

The Management- I had the pleasure of working under one of the best Directors I have ever worked with. He always puts his team ahead of himself, and is always willing to help anyone at anytime. If you work under Ryland at CDM, your chances of success are increased exponentially as he is a great teacher.

Glenn Willis- CEO- It's rewarding to work for a CEO who cares for and wants to see his employees succeed on both a personal and professional platform. We also have random outings about once a month as a team where we will get off early on a Friday to go do fun activities.

Two week break over Christmas. Super awesome for the employees who have out of town families.

I would recommend this job to anyone who is outgoing, positive, energetic and a determined worker. Working at CDM Media made my Chicago experience that much better. I am grateful for everything this company has taught me and the people I have met.

Cons

I feel like most people who have written these reviews have not had jobs in the "REAL" world, or don't know what a full-time job is, so please don't let those fool you. I have never worked at another events company, but what I hear from most who came from our competitors, CDM is way better than most.

This job is not for the light hearted or lazy. Like any sales position, this job is a lot of work, and you get out of it what you put into it. If you come to work everyday ready to learn and work hard, you will be rewarded. If you do not, this job is not for you.

** Would like if the company would pay commissions when the vendor pays. Don't wait until the Event happens.

"An honest and truthful review of CDM Media"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDM Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I’ve worked in the events industry for some time, and anyone reading this should pay close attention to the following: This is hands down one of the toughest sales jobs on the planet, and if you can’t fight through long hours and lots of rejection, you won’t find success. That said, if you do have the grit and entrepreneurial mindset to make it through these challenges, you will be rewarded at a scale that most commission carrying sales positions can’t match. The salary is above what I’ve seen in the events industry.

I’ve spent years in a real boiler room, chop shop, churn and burn, revolving door (or any other negative term you want to use), CDM Media is miles and miles above the rest in this respect. My direct superior is phenomenal, supportive, and hardworking and isn’t even compensated directly for his team’s sales! As a former manager at a competitor, I was shocked (in a very good way).

As far as the product, I’ve never seen a higher quality event of this format in my 6 years of experience. The sales approach is honest, doesn’t employ deceitful tactics and this is reflected in the company’s significant growth and clientele.

Quite frankly, I am somewhat shocked at some of the posts I’ve read here. I’ve not been asked by the company to write this and pride myself on being honest and candid with my opinions. I only chose to write this as so many of these reviews are so obviously written hours (or minutes) after a termination and chock full of emotion and little fact.

Cons

- Firmly scheduled break times are somewhat archaic and do not seem to reflect the company’s innovative and hardworking staff.

- The strict security around accessing work information and tools outside the office, while well intentioned, could be better explained and more flexible for those wanting to work outside the office

- More new sales staff should be sent to the events to have real world experience in the product they are selling. This is a pitfall of many events companies that could set CDM apart.

- Employees that are selling into west coast or east coast territories exclusively could work the equivalent hours in office.

Advice to Management

Do away with the set break times as this is reminiscent of a assembly line or factory type job. Sales should be based on performance and work ethic. Three separate 5 minute breaks may be much better for one person while a single 15 minute break may be better for another. This would boost morale.
    Increase the flexibility around working from home and accessing work information and tools outside of the office, these changes would play a big part in increasing retention.
    Continue to invest in your employees and a high quality work environment, as someone who has seen very good and very bad, this company is on an excellent trajectory and lightyears ahead of others in the b2b events market, capitalize on this and push it further.

"Good people but sad company"

Former Employee - BDM
    Former Employee - BDM

I worked at CDM Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Think of hardcore sales job when you hear " CDM Media". If you are willing to put up with constant meetings based of your bad performance and how you should fear for your job every day than this is the place for you.

On a better note, you can make some good friendships that may last a lifetime. Not too bad salary wise if your fresh out of college. This job is good as a stepping stone to build out your experience and resume for your next role. Pray your lucky enough to travel to an event or attend a local event. Anytime out of the office is always considered a blessing! Occasional times out of the office to the bar is fun.

Thier product actually isn't bad ..there are many happy clients that love thier events.

Cons

Your time is micromanaged to the max. All employees have 2 - 15 minutes breaks and 1hour lunch. If you get out of your desk anytime before or after that your considered lazy. Communication between the whole company is a complete disaster. Be prepared to have proof on why you called out in sick or why you asked for a day off. They are so paranoid and always think people are lieing or pulling a fast one on them. From time to time payroll gets messed up which is a headache in itself.

CDM'S greatest scam however is having everyone work on "salary". You get payed to work from 830 to 5 but in reality have to work until 630 or later. If you work at an event you have to work from 7 am to 7 pm. Again you are not compensated anything extra for this in fact it is considered as "part of your job". I bet all employees work over 50 hours and get nothing to show for it.

Work life balance dosnt exist here. Like I said previously if you don't give it your all, including "lead sourcing" on weekends than your considered expendable. Oh wait they tell us that in meetings that we are expendable so at least thier upfront there.

Some benefits are lies. We do not have a corporate gym membership as they advertise that we do.

Commisions structure is nonexistent because you rarely ever ever sell. And if you do sell, it will be so little that you only get mad at yourself for making them some money.

Upper management may be the core problem here. They care about the revenue and nothing else. I wish they cared more and weren't so cut throat to employees.

Office size : They preach that they are growing but it's quite the opposite. NY Office went from 15 employees to 3 by the end of January 2017. Chicago and cardiff offices has had many great employees come and go along with NY.

I can talk all day about CDM'S issues but I believe this is a " truthful " and "honest" review that covers all the main points.

In conclusion: CDM is not a career job. If you get a job here then learn all that you can and move on.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Your employees are your product and you've done a great job of ruining that. You are so prideful that you can't even tell that CDM is sinking.

Good luck and if you ever want to be a dominated force in this industry, I suggest you change things quick!

"It's a joke"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at CDM Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some amazing people have worked here and I was lucky enough to have them to get me through the days. Product is not bad.

Cons

Everything! NY Upper management needs to go. Sometimes you need to see the brown thumb in business. Anything good in NY fails. Any good people in NY leave. It is a shame. The Senior staff here were great and helpful and truly tried to make this place better. If we didn't have the middle management over the past year, we would have all been gone the second training ended.

Endless meetings where are told to "pop in" to the glass bowl to hear what we need to do better, why we suck, what we are missing. Ironically, if the upper management hit there own numbers that they committed to the company would have been in a great place and we would have probably been told we are amazing and keep up the good work. That is because they have no idea what the actual sales people in this company are doing. The managers that I reported to were real and honest and tough and could have made us all successful. Unfortunately, the management that they report to destroy everything including us. I am happy to hear that the good people here left. They will be an asset to any other company and CDM doesnt deserve to continue profiting off of anyone anymore.

Advice to Management

History repeats itself. Stop rebuilding.

"WARNING .... DO NOT WORK HERE, AWFUL COMPANY, CRUMBLING DAY BY DAY"

I worked at CDM Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you sell your soul to management you can make good money, if not they will never trust you.

They hire great people but for some reason cant figure out how to keep them, grow them or treat them.... Management is all about themselves so they can line their own pockets.

Cons

In January 2017 CDM Media had 8 employees quit in the New York office and 3 were fired. Out of the 8 that quit, 3 were management. The work environment is branded as "dark' I could not believe how badly people were treated and how the head management in New York spoke to people; it is border line verbal abuse and most definitely illegal.

Lets also get this out of the way. Any reviews 5 stars are written by management to level out the playing field on Glassdoor; I know because I've seen it with my own eyes. The review written on February 15th 2016 is by someone that has been at the company under 5 months and obviously hasn't seen the truth about management and the organization.

Those that run the show are selfish, liars, untrustworthy and manipulative. They do not care about the employees, they give and then take away, dangle the carrot around commissions, bonuses, even vacation time! I've never worked in an organization where the employees in every office (Chicago, New York, Cardiff) despise management and management does not have a clue. Its like they are half asleep OR they are SO SELFISH they cannot see the truth because they do not interface with their staff.

Advice to Management

Get ride of management in New York and close the New York office before its too late. Hopefully you can some cash and save face.

Don't be so greedy, if you want employees to actually stay treat them good, but doubt that will EVER happen)

"Walk Away NOW!"

I worked at CDM Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am only writing this because of the recent review that was written raving about how amazing CDM is. Since that the review was written by someone who has only been there for a few short months, and has yet to see how the company will soon screw him - I felt like it was my responsibility to set the record straight.

Pros.?.?. So the company has gotten some really great people to work here. Most of them are in Chicago - and the ones from NY are now all gone. In the past 6 weeks, the entire office cleared out. The office fits 50 people and is down to 3!!!! They say that they are rebuilding, but this is a sinking ship...

Cons

Even though the idea of the product is good - the execution is horrible. Lying is the constant here! They lie to clients, they lie to attendees, they lie to employees, they hold back commissions, they lie all day and just assume that everyone believes their stories. If you walk into the company, you will be micromanaged, yelled at, treated like a child and constantly talked down to.

95% of the problems in this company comes from NY Upper Management. They use people to see how much they can get out of you. They will treat you like you are disposable and pay you as they wish. If you want to work for this company - then move to Chicago and do it there!!!!

Walk away from this - this will be the biggest mistake you will grow to regret.

Advice to Management

STOP IGNORING WHAT IS HAPPENING IN NEW YORK

"Join at your own risk!"

I worked at CDM Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can make some good/decent money if your willing to put up with a horrible culture and work environment. Good experience in the sense that I learned what its like to work in a "Boiler Room".

Some employees are good people and that makes the job a little better.

Cons

EVERYTHING else.....

Lies...Lies...Lies....these reviews are from upper management so that they can trap new and incoming college graduates who don't know any better.

Extremely aggressive management. Hitting sales numbers is all they care about. Good Luck getting any vacation days approved. Once in a while you get payed wrong, or do not get paid on time...either way their payroll department is a joke.

Advice to Management

Not worth trying as they will never change their ways....

"Relationship Manager New York City Office"

I worked at CDM Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people & fun work environment. Everyday going to work was truly a blast! (keep hiring the great people that you do) You're given the opportunity to travel to great cities! Ex. Boston, D.C. , Chicago, Philadelphia

Cons

Don't really have anything bad to say about CDM. I guess the high turnover rate & a lot of people come and go through the doors.

Advice to Management

Wishing CDM nothing but the best in 2017

"Since my last review..."

Current Employee - Associate Director Relationship Management in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Director Relationship Management in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDM Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunities to make commission on top of competitive base pay in the industry we are in. I've been working in B2B Summit sales for quite some time, and don't know of too many other companies that have such base salaries for new hires. Since my last review ("Moving the needle") I have been fortunate to be considered for promotions and raises. I have been given responsibilities of managing a team. The thing is that it takes someone who is willing to create and TAKE those opportunities. It takes the kind of individual who is willing to come in early, stay late, and put in the extra dial to get the "breaks." This company absolutely rewards those who are willing to go the extra mile. I am a prime example of this. Just like in most sales jobs worth staying with for over four years (like I have), it takes considerable hard work to achieve the success that most people who, I'm sorry to say, write so many poor reviews and expect things to be handed to them. The best piece of advice I can pass along to anyone reading these reviews to consider working at CDM is that you need to look deep down. Ask yourself if you're a hard worker. Are you the kind of person not satisfied with only doing what is required to get by? If so, you will do great things here.

I'm sad to see the negative reviews on here, as I started off like any new hire that starts at CDM. Nothing was handed to me, and I had to prove myself whenever an opportunity was given to me. I'm certainly not in a position to say anything negative about those who posted poor reviews. I don't know what their situations are and I can't tell you what their experience was like. I'm also disappointed to see all the reviews that say that most of the positive reviews are written by upper management. Like I said, I wrote my first review while I was still a junior relationship manager. I think there are a number of people with great experiences with the company, but just like with your cable company - you're more likely to write a poor review instead of a positive one. No one calls their cable company to tell them what a great job they are doing. I'm not saying this company is perfect. I really don't think any company can say they have it all figured out. All I know is that I'm glad to be working for this organization, and hope to have the opportunity to show you why it's so great if you decide to join us.

Cons

Need to have autonomy on projects, and to grow the team.

Advice to Management

Continue to give more opportunities to those who work for it. Focus on the growth of your employees. You have leadership that is hungry to make this the best company in the industry.