CDSS Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 52 reviews

3.1
Douglas D. Park

"Just a Job"

I have been working at CDSS full-time

Pros

Working for the Department of Social Services means you can do meaningful work, but sometimes it is difficult to remember that. It is also simple to move up in the career ladder, and you can always transfer to a different branch if you find one that you like better.

Cons

It is difficult to find a good manager.

CDSS2015-07-19

"Bureaucracy is priority"

Current Employee - Associate Governmental Program Analyst in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at CDSS full-time for less than a year

Pros

At least you feel like you're trying to contribute to a better world...

Cons

Antiquated processes Inflexible scheduling Politicking among management is priority

Advice to Management

Buck the outdated "chain of command" mentality and workflow. It's lame and thwarts collaboration, innovation, and kills motivation. Let egos go, and let people do good work.

CDSS2015-05-11

"State Employment is a mixed bag."

Former Employee - Management Services Technician in Sacramento, CA

I worked at CDSS full-time for more than a year

Pros

State employment could be great if conditions are right. It all depends on the people you work with and your supervisors. I had a generally positive experience with the supervisors, but had trouble working with individual employees. State benefits are great and once you pass your probation it's almost impossible to get fired.

Cons

The opportunity for advancement is slow. It's difficult to advance because you have to take exams, but with enough effort, you will get there. I had a generally positive experience with the supervisors, but had trouble working with individual employees. The "analyst" positions are more desirable than the office technician or management service technician positions because they allow you to do more interesting work.

Advice to Management

Management needs to work more on creating a more positive work environment.

CDSS2015-03-06

"A unique and rewarding learning experience."

Current Employee - Licensing Program Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CDSS

Pros

A chance to make a difference in the lives of the elderly and dependent adults living in long term care.

Cons

Heavy work load with constant changes.

Advice to Management

Reduce the micromanagement.

CDSS2015-02-21

"Worst Job Ever. No balance. Stay away unless you know what you're getting into."

Current Employee - Licensing Program Analyst in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at CDSS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Somewhat flexible schedule, some co-workers are decent, potential to help those in need and get rid of bad apples, job security.

Cons

Crushing workload, dysfunctional system, heartbreaking cases, bureaucracy. You're constantly exposed to the dregs of society and the mistreatment of children. Mind-numbing, energy-draining, miserable.

Advice to Management

Whatever it is that you need to do to get more staff, find a way to do it. Bring retired staff back, get student assistants, interns, etc. DO NOT throw your new staff into a trial by fire. It will backfire. Give your staff the right tools for the job.

CDSS2014-09-20

"Overwhelming"

Current Employee - Disability Analyst

I have been working at CDSS full-time for less than a year

Pros

The staff are very pleasant

Cons

Overloaded with cases and paperwork. It is too much work for what you are paid. If you like to feel like you have a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day. DONT'WORK HERE! I am trying to find a way out.

Advice to Management

Slow down your training schedule, it is overwhelming!!!!

CDSS2013-09-12

"I am a caregiver to the sick and elderly"

Current Employee - Caregiver in Victorville, CA

I have been working at CDSS part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I can keep my elderly mother home with me and give her the care she needs at home.

Cons

My worker at IHSS does not call me back when I need to talk to her.

Advice to Management

Have supervisors do their job in a timely manner.

CDSS2013-07-19

"A Very Challenging Place to Work..."

Former Employee - Office Assistant (Typing) in San Diego, CA

I worked at CDSS full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits, after five years employees are vested in CalPERS pension system; this agency provides a necessary and vital service of maintaining the safety and care of the elderly in assisted-living facilities that sometimes are run by corrupt and uncaring owners, who, when discovered, are given warnings and sometimes fined or shut down. There is never a dull moment in the CCLD working environment.

Cons

The workload is horrendous and due to budgetary and hiring freeze constraints, it is impossible for employees to fully perform all of their duties. Employees are stretched to the limit--or well over. Facilities are supposed to be inspected on a regular basis, but due to the amount of complaint calls that need to be investigated within ten days, regular inspections do not always occur.

Advice to Management

More employees, including clerical, need to be hired, especially for customer service. All orientations and administrator examinations should be offered via videos and online. These also should be available in different languages, including Spanish, Tagalog, and Vietnamese. When employees work overtime, offer some type of compensation (comp time and/or paid). Regarding DOJ and FBI background checks and clearance to...

CDSS2012-10-11

"Disorganized, ineffective, and toxic."

Current Employee - Analyst in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at CDSS full-time for more than a year

Pros

Vacation, sick leave, job security, and retirement contribution.

Cons

The Human Resources office is a mess. Don't assume that you're qualified for a certain classification based on real work experience. They will disqualify you instantly and then offer you a Training and Development assignment as consolation. Don't assume that they're accurately keying in your leave usage. I've seen two employees shorted 10+ years of service credit due to data entry errors in Human Resources. Although...

Advice to Management

Do not continue to hire unqualified people to manager. Give up the "savior" mentality; hire rank and file employees who are capable of doing the job now as opposed to being hopefull that someday they will be able to do the job.

CDSS2012-09-18
      • "Satisfactory: Wages are minimum and benifits for P.T are none."

Current Employee - IHSS Caregiver in Kelseyville, CA

I have been working at CDSS part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Elderly people get needed care.

Cons

The Union doesn't do a whole lot for the workers who only work P.T. in Lake County. We get minium wage where as other counties in this state get quite alot higher wages.

Advice to Management

Wages need to increase, and benifits for the part time workers are needed as we still get charged for "union dues" even though we don't recieve benifits for work under 30hrs. a month.

CDSS2012-08-05