CDSS Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 55 reviews

3.6
Douglas D. Park

"It's a job"

I have been working at CDSS part-time

Pros

Most of the people are really nice and helpful.

Cons

The management watches your every move,

CDSS2016-01-26

"Structural Chaos"

I have been working at CDSS full-time

Pros

Excellent Benefits and incredibly friendly management and staff.

Cons

Poor use of IT resources and archaic business practices and implementations.

Advice to Management

Focus on NIST and Best Practices to effectively apply IT resources. Don't allow offices to stagnate and stalwart customer service practices. Ensure personnel are truly experienced and certified within their specialties.

CDSS2015-11-06

"CDSS"

I have been working at CDSS full-time

Pros

People are nice. Great place to get an entry-level job. Benefits are good and lots of time off. They invest a lot in their employees through training and making sure the resources you need are made available to you. If you stick around long enough, you can move up through the organization fairly quickly.

Cons

Salary is not comparable to private sector, but the excellent health benefits help make up this gap a little. Opportunities for substantive research projects are few and far between unless you are at the RPS level.

CDSS2015-09-06

"Just a Job"

I have been working at CDSS full-time

Pros

Working for the Department of Social Services means you can do meaningful work, but sometimes it is difficult to remember that. It is also simple to move up in the career ladder, and you can always transfer to a different branch if you find one that you like better.

Cons

It is difficult to find a good manager.

CDSS2015-07-19

"I am a caregiver to the sick and elderly"

Current Employee - Caregiver in Victorville, CA

I have been working at CDSS part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I can keep my elderly mother home with me and give her the care she needs at home.

Cons

My worker at IHSS does not call me back when I need to talk to her.

Advice to Management

Have supervisors do their job in a timely manner.

CDSS2013-07-19

"A Very Challenging Place to Work..."

Former Employee - Office Assistant (Typing) in San Diego, CA

I worked at CDSS full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits, after five years employees are vested in CalPERS pension system; this agency provides a necessary and vital service of maintaining the safety and care of the elderly in assisted-living facilities that sometimes are run by corrupt and uncaring owners, who, when discovered, are given warnings and sometimes fined or shut down. There is never a dull moment in the CCLD working environment.

Cons

The workload is horrendous and due to budgetary and hiring freeze constraints, it is impossible for employees to fully perform all of their duties. Employees are stretched to the limit--or well over. Facilities are supposed to be inspected on a regular basis, but due to the amount of complaint calls that need to be investigated within ten days, regular inspections do not always occur.

Advice to Management

More employees, including clerical, need to be hired, especially for customer service. All orientations and administrator examinations should be offered via videos and online. These also should be available in different languages, including Spanish, Tagalog, and Vietnamese. When employees work overtime, offer some type of compensation (comp time and/or paid). Regarding DOJ and FBI background checks and clearance to...

CDSS2012-10-11
  7. "Satisfactory: Wages are minimum and benifits for P.T are none."

Current Employee - IHSS Caregiver in Kelseyville, CA

I have been working at CDSS part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Elderly people get needed care.

Cons

The Union doesn't do a whole lot for the workers who only work P.T. in Lake County. We get minium wage where as other counties in this state get quite alot higher wages.

Advice to Management

Wages need to increase, and benifits for the part time workers are needed as we still get charged for "union dues" even though we don't recieve benifits for work under 30hrs. a month.

CDSS2012-08-05
  8. "very imformative"

Current Employee - Homecare in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at CDSS

Pros

work with people that are confident and professional

Cons

not enough benefits for all employees

Advice to Management

better oversight for employees and their benefits because the state budget is constantly coming up short every fiscal year and employers have to keep fighting for higher equality that is satisfactory and can help support and maintain a living wage for all employees that work for Ihss and employees that are apart of the union as a whole.

CDSS2012-02-15
  9. "Helping those in need is personally rewarding."

Current Employee - Caregiver in Oakland, CA

I have been working at CDSS

Pros

Providing help for people in need is personally rewarding. The health benefits are great. You can choose your own schedule.

Cons

The pay rate is low. There is no opportunity for advancement. The care recipients are often in some kind of distress, which can be challenging to deal with.

Advice to Management

Payroll problems arise too frequently. Delay in processing time sheets can result in interruption of health benefits, as well as paycheck delays. More administrative support seems to be needed in that area.

CDSS2011-05-12
  10. "nothing more than a paycheck."

Former Employee - In Home Care Worker in

I worked at CDSS

Pros

The ability to improve the quality of life for those that are disabled in some way and really have no one else outside of those individuals that work in that postition.I also received full medical and 75 on dental, don't see that too much anymore.

Cons

Mainly it was the lack of consideration for those people that had to put up with a stranger coming into thier homes, for good or bad reasons and leaving them with a sense of burden when they were never that to me.

Advice to Management

If any employee has a sense of compassion for those around them, then while they might be underappreciated and seriously underpaid, but it will make a difference in a lonely, scared or sad person's lives. I would want to be treated with respect and empathy when I am not all there.

CDSS2012-05-07