CDSS "elderly" Reviews | Glassdoor

CDSS Employee Reviews about "elderly"

Updated 22 Jun 2019

Found 52 reviews

3.1
Douglas D. Park
Pros
  • "A chance to make a difference in the lives of the elderly and dependent adults living in long term care(in 5 reviews)

• "(in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • "(in 2 reviews)

• "Plenty of nepotism, quantity of caseload over quality of cases(in 2 reviews)

Reviews about "elderly"

Return to all Reviews

"A unique and rewarding learning experience."

Current Employee - Licensing Program Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CDSS

Pros

A chance to make a difference in the lives of the elderly and dependent adults living in long term care.

Cons

Heavy work load with constant changes.

Advice to Management

Reduce the micromanagement.

CDSS2015-02-21

"I am a caregiver to the sick and elderly"

Current Employee - Caregiver in Victorville, CA

I have been working at CDSS part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I can keep my elderly mother home with me and give her the care she needs at home.

Cons

My worker at IHSS does not call me back when I need to talk to her.

Advice to Management

Have supervisors do their job in a timely manner.

CDSS2013-07-19

"A Very Challenging Place to Work..."

Former Employee - Office Assistant (Typing) in San Diego, CA

I worked at CDSS full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits, after five years employees are vested in CalPERS pension system; this agency provides a necessary and vital service of maintaining the safety and care of the elderly in assisted-living facilities that sometimes are run by corrupt and uncaring owners, who, when discovered, are given warnings and sometimes fined or shut down. There is never a dull moment in the CCLD working environment.

Cons

The workload is horrendous and due to budgetary and hiring freeze constraints, it is impossible for employees to fully perform all of their duties. Employees are stretched to the limit--or well over. Facilities are supposed to be inspected on a regular basis, but due to the amount of complaint calls that need to be investigated within ten days, regular inspections do not always occur.

Advice to Management

More employees, including clerical, need to be hired, especially for customer service. All orientations and administrator examinations should be offered via videos and online. These also should be available in different languages, including Spanish, Tagalog, and Vietnamese. When employees work overtime, offer some type of compensation (comp time and/or paid). Regarding DOJ and FBI background checks and clearance to...

CDSS2012-10-11
    • "Satisfactory: Wages are minimum and benifits for P.T are none."

Current Employee - IHSS Caregiver in Kelseyville, CA

I have been working at CDSS part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Elderly people get needed care.

Cons

The Union doesn't do a whole lot for the workers who only work P.T. in Lake County. We get minium wage where as other counties in this state get quite alot higher wages.

Advice to Management

Wages need to increase, and benifits for the part time workers are needed as we still get charged for "union dues" even though we don't recieve benifits for work under 30hrs. a month.

CDSS2012-08-05