CDW Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Updated April 12, 2017

Chicago, IL Area

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • company benefits are great; culture is very focused on a healthy work-life balance (in 144 reviews)

• Flexible schedule - work from home 90% of the time (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes difficult to work/life balance (in 47 reviews)

• base salary is not competitive with other entry level sales jobs (in 80 reviews)

"Hardest job I have ever had for the least amount of money... period!"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Either Say Away or Get Away As Soon As You Can - only Pitstop Not a Career

Cons

Accounts give to a few on the team, the rest of the team struggles, small starting salary, churn and high turnover, small starting salary, CDW takes a piece of every dollar made somehow, management plays favorites (if you're liked you make money, if not you suffer), big management bonueses off of your work end of year (you get a couple $$$), micro management, petty office politics, minorities have a rough time making…

Advice to Management

Change the payscale and move folks into their positions of strength, grow a pair and give accounts to everyone to be successful

"unfortunate"

Former Employee - Tech in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Tech in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the location is very nice

Cons

you work over 9 grueling hours a day. and asked to volunteer for overtime for 11 hrs
    Bad morale and tension between workers.
    Little reward, no encouragement nor support
    Managers full of apathy and use office politics to remove you.

Advice to Management

Learn how to listen to your subordinates. Even the temps. You were one once.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A great first start to your career and to learn about VAR operations.

Cons

Lack of diversity, lack of investment, unfair treatment, cliquish.

Advice to Management

Pros: Free food, work from home opportunities.Cons: Lack diversity, lack of investment, unfair treatment, and low pay.CDW has an excellent culture on the surface. Cliques are heavy at and no matter how hard you work, you are subjected to how people perceive you and perception may not always be a reality. Leadership has these monthly and quarterly "check ins" just to check off a box but have no real investment in your future. Diversity and Inclusion is a SERIOUS problem at CDW but it varies by department. There isn't a lot of minority leaders and they feel that having a women group (primarily white) solves the issues with diversity. Its feels like more of a fraternity house-either you're in or you're out-and if you're not "in" you are made to feel that way. The pay isn't competitive and they try hard to realign departments to make the company more attractive. Would I recommend CDW, sure, if you are fresh out of college and is looking for a first step. Otherwise, I would be apprehensive-especially if you're a minority.

CDW Response

Apr 7, 2017 – Senior Manager

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience. Many roles at CDW provide great insight into the various aspects of the technology industry. CDW is incredibly committed to ... More

"Ecom Management doesn't get it, avoid!"

Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Chicago, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some Nice co-workers and talented passionate people work there, a desire to change from the best people that work there

Cons

Being a hard worker isn't rewarded.

Favoritism is a regular management tool.

More concern over profits and release dates instead of the customer experience.

The salaries and benefits are embarrassing.

Managers use passive aggressive bullying techniques and don't understand the fundamentals in their fields.

Good talented people are driven out by management

Advice to Management

Start trusting your employees and listening to them.

Better compensation will get you better workers.

5. "Nothing to write home about"

Former Employee - Configuration Technician in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Configuration Technician in Vernon Hills, IL

Pros

The work to be done was fairly easy. Free ice cream at times. Easy to get help with a task if needed.

Cons

very long hours. no work life balance. Long walks to everything. It seems to be a very solemn environment.

Advice to Management

Have a better work life balance for people. Well rested people are more productive. senior management should spend time in the warehouse.

"Poor Interview."

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at CDW (Less than a year)

Pros

None really. Probably that it ended.

Cons

Interviewer showed up very late. Told me he was strapped for time and wanted to cut what should've been a 45min-1hr interview down to 20 minutes. Didn't make eye contact. Went completely on script for interview. Nothing about the interviewer screamed "leader", and I have no idea why he was even with the company. Couldn't answer my questions when it was time for me to ask.

Advice to Management

Get actual people running your sales teams. The person I interviewed with was very unprofessional, and I wouldn't buy water from him in the desert.

"I'm being bullied by my boss and HR is allowing it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you asked me at the beginning of my tenure, I'd have had an answer to that question.

Cons

I asked my supervisor for help communicating with the sales staff, in response my boss quit talking to me for many months. Just, quit talking to me. My coworker threatened me, and HR tells me he has a hearing problem. (As if I can't tell the difference between someone who is leaning in because they can't hear, and someone who has pushed me into a corner, and put his angry face six inches away from mine, spitting and pointing his stupid finger at me because I asked him to correct his mistake. That doesn't sound like a hearing problem to me.) He was not reprimanded for this, nor was he asked to move his desk away from me. Later, I began receiving an unpredictable number of assignments every day, I asked me boss to either even that out, or tell me when it will change and he, of course, never did.
    My bosses, and HR, each tell me that these are not genuine problems. I just "perceive" them as problems. CDW is gaslighting me, which is a common bullying tactic.
    I took a leave when I began having panic attacks at the office. I asked for a work-from-home accommodation, but CDW declined to offer it.

This organization is full of bullies.

Advice to Management

Don't bully your employees. Take serious complaints seriously. Accommodate reasonable requests.

"Services is no longer strategic"

Former Employee - N/A in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - N/A in Chicago, IL

Pros

Name recognition is helping CDW with current business. The reputation has also been good for CDW. Good culture, with a family feel

Cons

Salary is very much below industry average and Senior leadership see's no need to change it. Also, there is a very big focus on out sourcing services to partners which means they will not hire. The also expect to grow the company with increasing goals and targets, but if they are not hiring this will make it harder and put more strain on the partner group. Also, this inhibits the ability to monitor quality.

The directors of the services group are also too far removed from the business and not making decisions based on what is best for the market. Which is filtered down from the top. It is apparent the management team is looking to make decisions best to drive up the stock so they can cash out versus making decisions for the long term.

Advice to Management

Trust the people you hired to do their job, do not micro manage. Remember not all markets are the same and their are nuances between each city and you need to rely on the people you put in place to perform their job.

"account manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Mettawa, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Mettawa, IL

Pros

paid 1000 biweek;y on time every time
    good gym team SCUZZZZ

Cons

25k base? is that a joke?
    MAYBE 5k in commision first year
    Long training
    soul sucking
    cold calls all day every day

Advice to Management

DONT go here as an account manager if you have a bachelors degree, youre better then that!

"Treasury"

Former Employee - Treasury in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Treasury in Chicago, IL

I worked at CDW full-time

Pros

Company is growing rapidly and looks good on your resume.

Cons

CDW wants talent, needs talent, but has clue what to when they get it. Hold onto your wallets because CDW employees have no idea what the term Sarbanes Oxley Act means, literally. You cannot be a public company without public experience in treasury management. The culture is a recipe for a surpise audit:

Ingredients:

Ego
    Selfishness
    Greed
    Insecurity

Instructions:

1st, be selfish and take someone's ideas are share without recognizing your team member.

2nd, boost your ego with a locker room culture and hand shake deals.

3rd, add more insecurity by constantly whispering, making unnecessary condescending and negative comments.

4th, mix in greed with a hefty dose of a don't ask don't tell culture.

5th, stay put for years and years, learn nothing new, wait for the heat to rise and say hello to the suits when they arrive.

Showing 32 of 1,485 reviews