CDW Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Updated May 12, 2017

Chicago, IL Area

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • company benefits are great; culture is very focused on a healthy work-life balance (in 143 reviews)

• Flexible schedule - work from home 90% of the time (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes difficult to work/life balance (in 46 reviews)

• base salary is not competitive with other entry level sales jobs (in 80 reviews)

"There was a time ..."

Former Employee - Configuration Technician in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Configuration Technician in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

pastries every Tuesday. I know, that is pathetic.

Cons

I have been there nearly 17 years. I have a laundry list of complaints which includes pay, coworkers, management from the very top to the bottom.

Advice to Management

How about a higher pay rate instead of the "competitive salary" rhetoric that we keep hearing. Such ambiguous language makes for an unhappy employee. Competitive salaries fall into a bell curve. Why should CDW coworkers be on the lower end of that "competitive" curve?

More can be said.

2. "Great company headed in the wrong direction"

Current Employee - Executive Account Manager in Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - Executive Account Manager in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, and somewhat flexible hours in sales if you're established. CDW is a market leader which helps gain access to clients. Wide portfolio mix and ability to create customer value in a number of areas.

Cons

They've done a very poor job of developing the next generation of sales reps. Almost no one is making it past the 4 year mark. They're more reliant than ever on senior reps for success, and have made pay cuts in several key areas of sales to subsidize new reps.

Advice to Management

Stop cutting commissions and redistributing to the younger generation who is underperforming. Start recognizing that the industry is changing (more cloud/service provider driven) and profitability is the true measure of success--not legacy revenue streams.

"More Like a Glorified Internship"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time

Pros

Partner events, lot of chances to win free tech or vacations, culture is great, everyone is willing to help eachother out.

Cons

The nation's leading IT Solutions Provider pays some of the lowest bases and commissions. I performed in the top 10% consistently in my one year here and I did not even pull 35k in year one. This is a glorified internship and if you have IT and sales experience I would stay away. I'm headhunted by competitors and startups on a weekly basis who are offering 45 to 55k bases and commission structures much more generous than CDW's 3% of gross profit. You're now expected to do an unrealstic amount of work in 8 hours because overtime is never approved. The successful ARs many times work while clocked out.

Advice to Management

It is 2016 and your office is in Chicago. When you put your employees in a position where they can't pay their bills and have to work 2 jobs, you're going to have high turnover. The high performing people who are actually good at selling in the IT industry have no reason to stay here and make half as much as they would at direct OEMs or competitors. Pay your employees well and they will actually stick around and hit those numbers you set for them.

"Clueless Company"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time

Pros

You get some perks like cell phone plans and free food at HQ

Cons

Promotion within inner circles, box pusher company not a solution oriented company. Only concerned on profit numbers and not development of the individual

CDW Response

Nov 23, 2016 – Senior Manager

Thanks for taking the time to provide your insight. We are concerned about profit, but not at the expense of our coworkers' development. We have extensive resources available to our coworkers and ... More

6. "Project Coordinator"

Former Employee - IT Project Coordinator in Cary, IL
    Former Employee - IT Project Coordinator in Cary, IL

I worked at CDW (Less than a year)

Pros

Gained a lot of knowledge on different aspects of an organization.

Cons

Didn't really give me a chance to succeed.

Advice to Management

When you hire 2 people for the same position, give them the same tasks and chance to succeed, then determine who you feel is a better fit for the role.

CDW Response

Nov 23, 2016 – Senior Manager

As a CDW project coordinator, you are exposed to a variety to teams and coworkers across the organization. I'm sorry to hear you no longer work at CDW. I shared your feedback with the team to ... More

7. "if you are joining CDW for anything but sales, find something else"

Current Employee - Backbone Employee in Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - Backbone Employee in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits and work / home life balance.

Cons

Management is painfully slow to make decisions, pay is below average.

"SMB is the place to leave"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW (More than 8 years)

Pros

Its getting to tougher to see them. Perks are still pretty nice. Lots of free lunches, happy hours, outings. Good stuff if you are a fresh college grad with no responsibilities such as a family or mortgage.

Cons

SMB leadership is doing everything they can to turn this into a customer service job rather than sales. Resources are being pulled back, back-end processes are more frequently done by account managers. Larger accounts are constantly under pressure to be moved out of your book of business. The central region in particular is at an all time low in morale thanks to some old school management style. Transfers out of the division both internally and externally are being blocked by director level management.

Advice to Management

Unhappy employees will hurt your bottom line. Preventing unhappy employees from moving on will poison the morale of those left. Take a look at some of your upper management lately. The changes have not been for the better.

9. "Pricing Analyst"

Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home days, good work life balance

Cons

low salary, no career growth

"Unfair Treatment of Tenured Employees"

Current Employee - Corporate Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Corporate Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers are amazingly friendly and helpful. You get exposed to different sides of the tech industry and can network with great resources that can help you further advance your career.

Cons

Low pay and base compared to similar jobs in the industry. I was told when I started there that going to work for the vendor partners is a very viable option after paying your dues. I applied and got a position for a vendor, but the vendor relations wouldn't allow for me to work there. Put a bad taste in my mouth.

"There is plenty of room for improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home
    Plenty of work and job security

Cons

Limited incentives for backbone departments
    Lack of review of senior/supervisor employees (dead weight)
    Lack of upward mobility

Advice to Management

Find ways to add incentives and lose the pizza parties--try a different vendor.
    Team morale is severely lacking

Showing 72 of 1,467 reviews