CDW Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Updated April 29, 2017

Chicago, IL Area

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • company benefits are great; culture is very focused on a healthy work-life balance (in 141 reviews)

• Depending on what department you work in, work from home flexibility is nice (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • If this is a problem for your work/life balance, CDW may not be the best fit (in 46 reviews)

• base salary is not competitive with other entry level sales jobs (in 80 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place for a career!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at CDW (More than 10 years)

Pros

So many pros... Top down support and engagement in your career development, Coworkers who genuinely care about one another, company culture simply can't be beat! CDW was my second job out of college and I wish it was the first - high expectations and a hard working culture where great work is handsomely rewarded! Executives are easily accessible and easy to talk to - they care about coworkers and making the best decisions for coworkers, customers and the company.

Cons

Very hard to think of cons... Probably the volume of work - but I'd much rather have strong business and lots of work than the opposite!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing - it is very much appreciated!

CDW Response

Oct 3, 2016 – Senior Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective. We value your insight and are happy you are here.

2. "Wana make a lot of money and work with people you enjoy dealing with- CDW is your calling."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great entry level gig in which you can make a six figure income level in 3-4 years. LIke any job, you have to apply your self, however the opportunity is there. Most people come on board thinking they are going to make a lot of money in their first or second year. it doesnt work that way. You work hard your first few years and the results will come on their own. The culture is awesome. People really get along with each other and you can feel the energy on every floor. Its kind of like a frat/sorority house with profressional individuals. You feel as though you belong to a large team.

Cons

Locations are limited to northern suburbs and DT Chicago. They forget to cater to those that live out west. Sales AM's have a difficult time if their accounts get pulled. Goals are hard to obtain at times. This does not put your job in jeapordy, but sure does have an effect on your paycheck. Managers don't always lay out a career path for you. You have to be aggressive and let them know what you are looking to do down the road. Company has stopped alot of its gathering and activities, however it still has more fun then most companies.

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to help build career paths for everybody. You can be stuck in the same position for 10 years.

3. "This is a great place to ork and grow if you are willing to put in the work to get there."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

The ability to determine your own career path. Many people complain about the amount of pressure put on account managers to perform. I'll admit its not something I relish but it is good for CDW and more importantly me. The push for higher performance will directly effect my ability to sell and then get paid more. So if they are pushing me to do more and I get more out of it how can I complain.

Cons

Its a tough place to try and work the required minimum shift. You really need more time to get the job done right. This would be less of a problem if I didn't live so far from work. That is my decision though so again not CDW's problem. This being said the whole work/life balance is tough for me to achieve.

Advice to Management

AS we move farther into the MDP era try to remember that the desire of high level profits by an equity investment firm will more than likely run in direct competition to the needs of the employees to maintain thier loyalty to the company. I was really disappointed that CDW lost its place on the best places to work list the first year I was there, I hope this is not a sign of things to come but I really do hold out hope that this will remain a great place to work.

5. "CDW Rocks"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

It's fun environment and very challenging. People who work hard are rewarded. Excellent benefits package as well.

Cons

Long hours, a lot of independence. However, that could be seen as a positive. The problem with a lot of the newbies that start at CDW is that they do not want to work. They see CDW as a social engagement. It's a place to hang out till they go to Lincoln Avenue and hit the bars. Guess what? It's a job. If you work hard and play by the rules, you will get ahead at CDW.

Advice to Management

Go to graduate school

"Not that Bad, Could Be Better"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Vernon Hills, IL

Pros

Flexible Schedule, On-Site Daycare, Fitness Center, Donation Matching

Cons

Slow computer systems, inconsistency with employee allowances between departments, little to no 401k benefits, not as concerned with taking care of employees since company went private, stingy work-from-home program, little to no job sharing opportunities

Advice to Management

Fairness is needed between all departments / sub-departments in terms of flexible work hours, work from home days, working at different offices. Also, you have many unproductive people in the office which affects the morale of all the good workers, and management is completely unresponsive because they're too afraid to lose headcount.

"Not simply a start, CDW can be your home!"

Current Employee - Technology Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Technology Specialist in Chicago, IL

Pros

In reading other reviews of my company I decided to write my own. To anyone questioning if they should take a job offer from this organization, let me make it simple: DO IT! CDW is not simply a "springboard" into IT sales or any other role for that matter; it is a mansion with endless doors of opportunity. Sure, starting as an Account Manager may be difficult, stressful, and in some respects underpaying, but mark my words that if you put in your dues and simply perform at or beyond your expections (and I'm not talking sales #s, I'm talking effort), you WILL be noticed and you WILL be successful. Want to be the front-line liason between customer and vendor making upwards of $200K a year? Work hard and your time will come. Want to move to Marketing? build relationships with your vendors and you will have advocates to back you up. Interested in Management? Develop your sales skills, display leadership abilities beyond your peers, and you WILL be noticed.

I grew tired of reading people's complaints of this organization's habits of "promoting by popularity and not experience," or "underpaid, work like slaves and make no money".....read reviews from ANY other job on glassdoor and you'll see the exact same complaints. What makes CDW DIFFERENT is the fact that its very culture enables self-starters and hard workers to indeed move where they want to be and make the kind of money they want and deserve. CDW coworkers, from Account Managers up to Senior VPs, treat each other with respect. Executives have an open-door policy and will answer any question you have for them. The company is culturally diverse, and career paths are outlined for those who wish to pursue them. Again, the same complaints you see over and over again can be said about pretty much every other corporation; CDW however stands a cut above the rest in terms of empowering its coworkers (CDW's term for employees) to always be striving for promotion, and getting them where they want to be...nothing comes easily, and you have to work hard to get there.

Cons

sometimes the different sales groups tend to compete with one another, be it inside vs. field executives or even managed services teams. We would all benefit from a more structured alignment of groups working together for a single goal....which I believe the VPs are already working on.

Advice to Management

Please dont take for granted the more tenured Account Managers who have put in their dues to earn large customers; we're losing some great talent due to territory shifts, and our largest customers cannot be easily replaced by new and fresh Account Managers. Other than that keep up the great work!

8. "If you want to be in the IT world its a good place to be"

Current Employee - Acct Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Acct Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

This rating system needs a bit of a work, I'm a bit more then satisfied but dont think its perfect, so I'm giving CDW the benefit of the doubt...
    Tons of resources. I have friends at other technology companies and they dont have 5% of what we are able to offer customers.
    Self powered. My managers have never micro managed me to death, allow and encourage me to take time off, visit customers, ect.
    location, have to throw this in, its right across from Union Station. I dont even come from the burbs but for those that do its awesome.
    Coworkers, work with a lot of great people that are great at what they do

Cons

Some of this will sound contradictory, so bare with me...
    Coworkers, since CDW is such a large company I think we get desperate to hire at times. That being said I have seen some morons
    Starting off in Sales, it can suck. Base pay isnt much and you need to grow your account base
    Work from home still isnt readily available for everyone, in sales you need to be at a top % of your group to get this perk. I feel like we are a bit behind the curve here. IMO proven people that know what they are doing should get to work from home once in a while

Advice to Management

Keep up with perks that other companies are offering in the same field. Do whatever you need to do to keep your senior staff or they will go elsewhere and take market share. Its also better to not hire someone that hire a moron

9. "Up and coming!"

Current Employee - Technical Specialist II in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Technical Specialist II in Chicago, IL

Pros

Constant perks - food - giveaways - shirts - etc.
    Plenty of flexibility to attend local events and industry conferences.

Cons

Organizational structure sometimes separates groups that need to work more closely together.
    Lack of expertise in important markets.
    Flexible residency requirements can encourage too much travel.

Advice to Management

Fill open positions faster!
    Focus more on services.
    Publish more blogs / whitepapers for public consumption.
    Cooperate more with "the community" - user groups, events, etc.

"Best experience over the past several years of any employer I have had"

Current Employee - Field Solution Architect in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Field Solution Architect in Chicago, IL

Pros

Many opportunities for advancement, personal fulfillment. Great coworkers. Enough work that there is no time for petty office politics and boring water cooler chatter.

Cons

So much work to be done that it can be difficult to unplug. However, management is supportive of the times that I have asked for help.

Advice to Management

Continue to try and improve benefits, including professional development and learning opportunities. Change the bonus structure for the FSA role.

11. "Very Happy Where I am after 6 years"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I began working for CDW as an AM in 2006 and went through the down years of 08 and 09. I am not a 'favorite' by any means, just a fairly hard worker and out of the box thinker, both of which are embraced. At 6 years I receive 4 weeks of vacation + week of sick, am able to work from home one day a week, and compensation is in the low 100s

Cons

Since its such a large company you obviously dont get say in where the company is going, but you still take annual surveys on 'perks'. Account managers holiday bonuses are somewhat of a joke, given the fact that sales pays everyones salary.

Advice to Management

Do whatever you can to keep tenured folks, find out why reps are moving to other companies and change.

Showing 584 of 1,453 reviews