CDW Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Chicago, IL Area

4.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Sometimes difficult to work/life balance (in 47 reviews)

• base salary is not competitive with other entry level sales jobs (in 82 reviews)

1. "Great company"

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Brand Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits
    Good culture and coworkers
    Lots of perks
    Stability and good Comp
    Lots of opportunities for advancement
    Work life balance

Cons

Communication between departments could do better

Advice to Management

More transparency and communication

2. "Recruiting Coordinator"

Current Contractor - Recruiting Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Contractor - Recruiting Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great company and team.

Cons

Being a contractor, I didn't get much of the perks of being an actual CDW employee.

3. "CDW Review as a summer intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Lincolnshire, IL
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Lincolnshire, IL

I worked at CDW as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The overall atmosphere was friendly and collaborative. The building was modern and new, and the cafeteria was excellent.

Cons

The department that I worked in did not have a lot of diversity, and the intern class that I was a part of had little diversity.

Advice to Management

Implement better programs to retain interns after the summer has ended

"Good, but room for improvement..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- At a high level, good company culture. People rarely get fired, and when they do it's because of inappropriate behavior.

- Lots of free food (mostly unhealthy)/perks from vendors.

- Great Chicago location.

- Good career progression opportunities; I went from an AM, to Partner Specialist/BDS, to ISA over time.

- Easy to land a job with a vendor after tenure.

- Good money to be had.

- Good work/life balance, managers tend to be hands-off.

Cons

- Suburban locations are off the beaten path, you're better off driving (they have a shuttle which sucks).

- Management in S3 was pretty bad, a side effect of having old sales guys try to be businessmen.

They're only good for popping into meetings to say generic things like "What's the ask here?" and "We need to come up with a more efficient way of doing this."
    Awful, but we all had to suck up to them.

- Fellow ISA's were a bit arrogant, to the point that AM's were shy to reach out to them. They tended to be belittling to sales reps for not being "technical" enough.
    I had AM's outside my territory reach out to me as their assigned ones were, in their words, "rude".

- Lots of finger-pointing when business slows - CDW blames vendors, vendors blame CDW, etc.

- Chicago office bathrooms are gross.

- You have to request access to use the company's WiFi...for a tech company that's pretty silly.

- People here tend to wear super loud shoes - it was like Jurassic Park with the water rippling sometime. Do you have to stomp around the office?

- Lack of diversity in some departments.

Advice to Management

- Hire more outside senior management. Yes, hiring from within is important, but once you get to a director level you need intelligent business leaders, not just loudmouths who have been around forever.

- Have more company team-building activities.

- Teach humility, some people here thought they were a lot smarter than they actually were.

- Have business writing classes. I felt embarrassed by the spelling/grammar of some of my peers. When you're outward-facing, that's important.

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work ethics, work life balance, flexible work hours, recognition for hard work, great bonus structure

Cons

salary could always be better.

Advice to Management

Better planning needed to address utilization issues.. sometimes you need to put in 50-60 hours a week but the other times it goes down as low as 5-6 hours a week.

6. "Warehouse is a Slave Ship - worst than a Chinese Sweatshop"

Current Employee - Configuration Engineer in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Configuration Engineer in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They feed u donuts once a week to keep your sugar up the beginning of the week.

Cons

Hardest job I have ever had for the least amount of money. Take your experience, then move, or start looking the minute you get in.
    All they care about is "Certs", so then all the slaves talk about is their "Certs" - certification/s. You'd get $0.50 -$1/hour more for each certs. Seriously?!?!

Advice to Management

Hire some managers that have management experiences.
    Increase base salary by at least $5-10K more - especially for hard labor work at the warehouse. If you're not racist, then when was the last time you invited slaves from the warehouse for a "round of golf"?...

7. "Green Grass"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stability, Excellent work perks, Benefits

Cons

Salary is low
    Pressure is high
    Compensation changes happen frequently never in the favor of the coworker

8. "Average job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time

Pros

From what I see, decent benefits, 7 paid holidays with one floating holiday, Having a routine work week of mon-fri. Coworkers are very friendly and helpful

Cons

Too many people like step on one another to get higher up the ladder. The founder wanted it to feel like a family but over time the values have slipped away. too much expectations, doesn't seem to a whole lot not a whole lot of room for growth. Some members of management like to micromanage. One killer of management is micromanagement. Base pay can be a little better to.

Advice to Management

On the shipping side of things. The productivity system that is in place now. Is flawed!, it seems as tho it's all about numbers!! numbers!! numbers!! if you don't make your numbers your in trouble after awhile. That puts a great deal of stress on coworkers just trying to make their numbers everyday. Coworkers start getting greedy, they go after all the easy work for themselves everyone is running around like chickens with their heads cut off. More likely to mess up. I'm telling you to whoever reads this. It would be far better to have a error system in place instead. You get so many errors a year an if you make to many you get suspended or what have you. That way you would be able to retain workers for longer just go until your done, less stressed. Just like part of the moto says " we listen" so listen.

"Good company but too many people care about themselves climbing the ladder."

Former Employee - Sales Operations Supervisor in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Operations Supervisor in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great values on the operations side. Cut throat on the sales side. The backbone is the bread n butter of the company. They make it happen.

Cons

Too many people step on others to get higher in the food chain. Sales side is not as family oriented as the operations side. The founder wanted it to feel like a family but over time the values have slipped away.

Advice to Management

Don’t treat employees like they are expendable.

10. "Struck in Medieval times - avoid this company if you have another job offer"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Chicago, IL
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Chicago, IL

I worked at CDW as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

3 locations in and around Chicago, IL to choose to work.
    Very near to Union station in Chicago, IL.
    1 day per week Work from home - your choice.
    Free breakfast on Wednesday's.
    Free Coffee.
    Chicago building is located behind Sears tower and river side - its very beautiful from cafeteria.

Cons

Software developers will have hard time adjusting to the notorious political environment here. Tons of employees here have been around for long time (10 years or more). Sense of insecurity among these employees is evident right from day one. They will do anything to stop you from changing their process. Arguments are part of every meetings and they are not open for new ideas. Lack of proper documentation creates loads of confusion. Integration and coordination required to do your job is an up hill tasks. 1 year after working here, i learnt nothing and forgot all the stuff i knew. Because they are struck in medieval technologies.

Believe me a major part of their e-commerce business still uses ASP.NET webforms from 2006. After an extended period of hibernation, they are finally upgrading. However these efforts are contaminated by bad choice of technologies, fake deadlines, and ignorant employees. For example, their monolithic e-commerce application is now transitioned to Microservices. Instead of choosing highest and best - they are doing this in ASP.NET MVC. Moving from webforms to MVC in 2017 is like moving from Nokia to iPhone 4s in 2017.

I advise to avoid joining this company if they are hiring to bring external expertise here. Bad management execution and insecure employees is a lethal combination for a disastrous career here.

Advice to Management

Hiring talented people and asking them to work on outdated technologies is very demoralizing. Its like buying a high-end iPhone just to make a phone call. Especially a e-commerce company like CDW should invest in upgrading itself frequently. That's the nature of the game.

Showing 617 of 1,566 reviews