CDW Reviews in Madison, WI | Glassdoor

Updated January 18, 2017

Madison, WI Area

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Good work life balance and good culture (in 139 reviews)

• Opportunities to work from home (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • If this is a problem for your work/life balance, CDW may not be the best fit (in 45 reviews)

• Also the base salary is seriously low (in 78 reviews)

1. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Symfony Developer in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Symfony Developer in Madison, WI

I have been working at CDW full-time

Pros

It is a very good company.

Cons

It is a very big company.

2. "Managed Services"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Madison, WI

I have been working at CDW (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with at CDW. Benefits and compensation seem to be above competitive. Great growth and learning opportunities.

Cons

Engineering teams sometimes seen understaffed. Engineers are pushed pretty hard and put in long hours. Senior Management seems disconnected at times and don't seem to care about the concerns of the employees.

Advice to Management

Get down and dirty and work directly with the Engineering teams on their concerns and let them advise on the direction of the company.

3. "Managed Services"

Current Employee - Managed Services Supervisor in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Managed Services Supervisor in Madison, WI

I have been working at CDW full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, people, salary and culture

Cons

None to name at the moment

"Consulting Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at CDW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work if you are a Cisco engineer. Cisco has a great relationship with CDW because CDW sells lots and lots of Cisco equipment. Unfortunately, I am a Microsoft engineer.... read the cons. Overall, it's a good place to work, but not for a Microsoft guy.

Cons

I am a Microsoft Consultant and Microsoft does not sell little green things that go in racks (Cisco stuff) and CDWs value added reseller (VAR) approach is not in alignment with Microsoft's cloud partner approach which is to build reoccurring revenue streams, not "do a project and get out". I was told my a senior CDW manager that "Microsoft is a necessary evil". Rather than embracing the change, my direct PSM said "Microsoft is stealing all of our customers"

Advice to Management

Most of your PSMs (Professional Service Managers) are Cisco guys. I think CDW should just get out of the Microsoft business, management admitted that they don't have a good partner relationship. Send the business to a partner that likes Microsoft.

6. "Big Company that doesn't feel big"

Current Employee - Business Development in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Business Development in Madison, WI

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

visibility of and access to top leadership. I am only a supervisor, yet I routinely have opportunities to interact with SVP's and executive leadership. The culture not only allows for change, it promotes change... fixing things that are "broken" is typically impossible in companies this size; that's not the case at CDW... There is an sentiment here that, while things are very good, they could be better - and we are all responsible & empowered to change things & fix things.

Cons

health benefits are mediocre. Growth of the services segment is coming mainly through use of more contractors, which limits some of the "team" atmosphere to services groups. Being public equates to the classic Q-end push to sell anything that's not bolted down

Advice to Management

Services segments need to grow even faster if we expect to hold onto profit margins. This isn't unreasonable given the size of the sales force. Continue to stay visible & approachable.

7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Madison, WI

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I like the flexibility and work/life balance. I make on my schedule, I work remotely when I need to. The management team is great and there for me to provide guidance and direction when I need but at the same time I am my own boss. Plenty of locations that I can move to if I want. The company truly appreciate the employees and willing to go out of their way to make things right.

Cons

Sometime it takes too long to implement a change. Moving up can be a challenge since there are limited positions available unless you are looking to change area.

"Great Company - NOC not so much"

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to great Engineers in all IT groups. Lots of company sponsored events.

Cons

Advancing beyond NOC can be a challenge.
    Corporate does not focus enough resources to keeping the NOC adequately staffed.

9. "Facilities Engineer"

Current Employee - Facilities Engineer in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Facilities Engineer in Madison, WI

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team, challenging work, delivering incredble IT service to customers around the country. Great benefits. Cutting edge technical work in the IT field.

Cons

Scheduling is a challenge. Few entry level positions available. We are a ways away from the corporate headquarters in Vernon Hills, IL. No opportunity to do overseas work.

Advice to Management

Please work hard to support all the teams in the company. Our team is floundering because we aren't getting the help we need from the corporation at large.

"The glass ceiling on glassdoor"

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Donuts on Fridays. Quite a few smart, capable managers do care, but have no power to defend their teams or get the resources they need. Wait, that's a con, isn't it?

Cons

CDW is beholden to shareholders. I've been watching customers walk out after more than 10-15 years as customers. If you are not the biggest of the big, CDW will not-give-a-crap until you get fed up and leave. I recently had a customer tell me they found better service from another company at 1/3rd the price of CDW.
    For the last 3 years CDW has refused to maintain a head count on teams that has worked for longer than a decade to keep teams both sane and productive. Recently, one of the sales guys (the ones that wine, dine, and lie to potential customers, as well as promise vapor-ware to get them to sign contracts, told a coworker "We are not a cheap company."). Funny they should say that since we've recently partnered with TekSystems to outsource level 1 tech support to India. If we're going to charge top tier prices for services and products, we should at least be somewhat capable of providing top tier services.
    If you are not being hired in management or sales, you will be a contractor. Thanks to these and other policies, the team I work on went from no contractors to 66% contractors in 3 years. Then, corporate complained that we use too many contractor hours and demanded that we cut our contractor hours by 50%. Our team of 22 is now down to 12 across 3 locations and our metrics have tanked, and corporate can't fathom why.
    There are some amazing perks and opportunities... if you are in sales and work in Vernon Hills. The people that deal with the BS which sales fabricates get squat. (Corporate cruise? Not if you actually work hard for a living.)
    Also, it's a class system here. If you are in managed services, you are lower class. Field and business services are upper class. Of course, just like the real world, the upper class could not exist without the lower class.
    The "cons" I could tell you if it didn't violate an NDA, not that CDW pays me enough to have anything left to take in a lawsuit. IF YOU ARE PROMOTED, THERE IS AN ARBITRARY RAISE CAP OF 10%. SO IF YOU WORK HARD AT THE BOTTOM LEVEL, YOU CAN NEVER MAKE WHAT SOMEONE HIRED AT THE TOP MAKES.

Advice to Management

Get your heads out from where they are. Your teams are mostly livid or scared that they will lose their jobs to outsourcing. You're management. At least pretend like you *earned* the bachelor's degree required to hold any management position at CDW.

11. "Work/life balance can be tricky."

Current Employee - Senior Service Account Manager in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Service Account Manager in Madison, WI

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people!
    Excellent Benefits.
    Good compensation package.
    Opportunity to work remotely.

Cons

Working too much.
    Not enough resources to work tickets in a timely manner.
    Selling things that are not in our playbook and then we have to support them.

Showing 29 of 1,392 reviews