CDW Reviews in Mettawa, IL | Glassdoor

CDW Mettawa Reviews

Mettawa, IL

2.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • And you hear about work-life balance everywhere you interview, but at CDW it's the real deal (in 151 reviews)

• Flexible schedule - work from home 90% of the time (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes difficult to work/life balance (in 49 reviews)

• base salary is not competitive with other entry level sales jobs (in 84 reviews)

"Great experience in 1st position - not a great experience in 2nd"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mettawa, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mettawa, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of free food (make sure you don't gain weight). Coworkers are pretty friendly. Great training program for entry-level sales.

Cons

I worked in two positions: I really liked the first one and had a great boss. He was very motivating and everyone worked to perform above and beyond for him. The second position was a nightmare! I had a micromanaging boss who had it in for me from the beginning. I have no idea what I did to her but she was manipulative and dishonest. I even caught her going into my documents and making changes so the numbers would be incorrect. She would also give me instructions via email in writing and then would give me DIFFERENT instructions verbally afterward. Then she would send the document I created following her verbal instructions to her manager saying I didn't follow what she wrote in her email. She made my life such a nightmare that I started getting panic attacks and heart palpitations. I ended up quitting but wish I had gone to HR first and told them about her underhanded behavior but figured it would be my word against hers and she has spent her entire career there and was promoted to supervisor with no degree or experience. I also found out she did the same thing to the man who held the job before me. I have no idea why this isn't a red flag to management. Because of her, I have a bad taste in my mouth about CDW. It looks like my experience was an exception rather than the norm.

Advice to Management

When a supervisor claims an employee is underperforming there may be an unusual reason why. Especially for employees who have past management experience and past managers' feedback contradict current supervisor. Follow up on supervisors who have a high turnover and a lot of write ups for their employees. Hopefully this doesn't happen often but the experience was horrible and left me feeling dehumanized and manipulated.

"A Good Place to Build Experience"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Mettawa, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Mettawa, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tons of resources. Lots of vendor support. Very helpful co-workers

Cons

The pay can be very low to start out. Certain departments, like small business, should be nothing more than a launching pad to another career either within or outside the company. Managers have the power to hold you back. Way too many levels of management.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your veteran employees. Don't take away from us to give to new employees because they aren't sticking around due to low pay.

"Telemarketing"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Mettawa, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

free things, great relationships and what not--- thats about it

Cons

No oppurtunities in small business

Advice to Management

help your employees move up in the company

4. "Marginal"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Mettawa, IL

Pros

cool people, good accounts to work with, easy to get time off.

Cons

Horrible base pay. Large amount of favoritism.

Advice to Management

higher base pay

"Good place to learn the ropes... and that's about it.."

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Mettawa, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Mettawa, IL

Pros

As a new college graduate, CDW was very good to me in regards to training and teaching me how to successfully work in the IT industry. After 2-3 years at CDW as an Account Manager I had become very marketable to other IT companies in the industry. (Manufacturers and competitors)

Cons

Staying past LOS 24 was a waste of my time.. (for the non-CDW folks, they measure their employees Length Of Service in MONTHS not years.. very telling).. CDW continuously decreases commissions by raising goals and/or trimming your account base by 20%.. They always give a good organizational reason for the changes but the net effect is always the same, less money in your pocket.. After 2-3 years I knew everything I needed to know to move to a competitor in the area that doesn't play games with compensation & accounts.

Advice to Management

Stop playing games with Account Manager's goals and customer bases.. You are encouraging your best and brightest Account Managers to leave.. They will rebuild their success over and over again until they eventually realize they can get off the CDW treadmill and rebuild somewhere else.

6. "fd"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Mettawa, IL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Mettawa, IL

Pros

Inside sales is always good. Free food - bagels, coffee, etc. Decent co-workers.

Cons

Management is always watching and listening to your conversations, some co-workers take sales from you. Management doesn't help you.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage people - help them don't scold them.

"CDW is a sinking ship, get Krasny back and Zeman, they know how to motivate people and take care of the employees."

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Mettawa, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Mettawa, IL

Pros

You have an opportunity to earn a lot of money in sales. Other positions are average pay.

Cons

No work life balance
    No matter what the goals is, your never there
    They keep changing compensation
    They keep taking accounts from Sales
    Directors, Sr. Directors, Bill Weaver are very disconnected from what has made CDW great
    They are turing the place into a bunch of average to below average sales people
    It looks like HP and Dell from an inside perspective
    People are leaving in huge numbers and Management does not care

Advice to Management

start rewarding people, stop cutting compensation. Wake up, were losing tenured account managers every day and they are taking their accounts with them. The economy is impacting our business and give some people goal relief. Sr. Management has killed the moral of the sales people. WAKE UP, morale is at the lowest level in history! Your paying people in non sales positions a lot of money to do nothing. Pipeline, meetings and spreasheets don't produce sales. The Berbee integration was a joke and no one in upper management will be held accountable. (just blame account managers, than write them up and fire them) Alienate your best account managers, then justify why they leave ,as a good!

Showing 7 of 1,590 reviews