CDW Reviews in Mettawa, IL | Glassdoor

CDW Mettawa Reviews

Mettawa, IL

4.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • company benefits are great; culture is very focused on a healthy work-life balance (in 146 reviews)

• Flexible schedule - work from home 90% of the time (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes difficult to work/life balance (in 47 reviews)

• base salary is not competitive with other entry level sales jobs (in 80 reviews)

"If you work hard you can go far in this company."

Current Employee - Learning Environment Advisor in Mettawa, IL
    Current Employee - Learning Environment Advisor in Mettawa, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about this company is the way they develop their employees. There is a world of knowledge that can be learned and easily accessed. I have been in the Sales industry for almost 25 years now and never received the kind of training that CDW offers to their employees.

Cons

The biggest challenge to overcome working for CDW is often compensation. There is a lot of incentive if you are doing everything you can to close deals, but the biggest battle comes from fighting the internal processes in order to make money. The constant fight to keep your deals profitable is easily the most daunting aspect of joining a sales team at CDW. That being said if you learn the system and leverage the right partner relationships the overall experience can be very rewarding.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like the individuals they are and try to avoid alienating the company's best resource in the shuffle of corporate minutiae.

2. "Overall experience is positive."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Mettawa, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Mettawa, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I like the work atmosphere. Everyone seems to enjoy working for the company and there are a lot of perks with the job.

Cons

Base salary is very low compared to the rest of the industry. Sometimes the account managers have to compete with fellow account managers from other segments even though at the end of the day we are all working for the same company.

Advice to Management

Management should all be on the same page when it comes to the message that we all work for the same company and there is no need to compete with each other when it comes to who should keep an account.

3. "I feel that CDW is more like a family than just a business."

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Mettawa, IL
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Mettawa, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

We have a new Manager and Supervisor. They more in-tune with the team and our work ethic.

Cons

Our department isn't allowed any "Work from home" days, while every other department in this company has designated days.

Advice to Management

Give us the ability to Work From Home.

4. "Happily employed at CDW"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mettawa, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mettawa, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

CDW is a stable company that does look out for employees' well being. I have met so many friends here and honestly enjoy coming to work each day.

Cons

Standard issues that every large company deals with. Politics get in the way of decisions and too many cooks in the kitchen stalls progress and makes the company less agile. Allow employees to make more decisions at a quicker pace.

Advice to Management

Get rid of politics and make decisions. Stand behind employees.

5. "It's not what it used to be"

Current Employee - Small Business Account Manager in Mettawa, IL
    Current Employee - Small Business Account Manager in Mettawa, IL

Pros

The money is definately there if you're willing to work for it. The people that you meet there are for the most part fun loving and you're pretty much assured to find yourself a very solid group of friends. Depending on your skill sets, ambition, and patience there are more than just a few positions there that will certainly earn you more than a six figure salary. There is an overall feeling of friendly competition and commaradery that serves well for any sales driven individual.

Cons

Because the company is over 25 years old, the larger accounts that have real potential to spend are pretty much taken. That being the case, you have to work a LOT harder these days starting out to build a book of business. They don't do anything for you in bringing you new (good) leads so you're pretty much on your own. Even if you decide you want to purchase your leads, you still have to take into account that there is a very real possibility that those organizations are already in the system and most likely being worked. There is also a lot of "red tape" for lack of a better word that you'll end up dealing with internally to fill orders for your customers. More than you should have to deal with working for an organization with our capabilities that is. Your manager can make or break you. In the event that you get one with a "hands off" approach or one with a "by the book" attitude, you will find yourself VERY frustrated and finding a way to work around that will put a lot of stress on you.

Advice to Management

Retaining talent was listed as one of the goals for 2010. CDW needs to do a lot more to take a proactive approach in assessing who they consider worth retaining, and working with them in a no nonsense manner to correct the issues that they bring to the table. You'll find that the ones that are ready to leave, still love what they do, they simply are losing faith in their companies ability to or willingness to help us do what we tell our customers we're going to do for them.

6. "Effort Effort Effort..... Dialing for $'s doesn't matter how much you sell, just make more calls!"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Mettawa, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Mettawa, IL

Pros

One of the best things working at CDW provides you is opportunity! Opportunity to grow personally and career wise. Most people will come in as an entry level account manager. Put in your 12 months without performance issues, and then you can move any where in the company. The move is usually to an easier job, with better pay!

Cons

At CDW you have to be ready for a very idealistic management team. They do take surveys and try to get a feel for what we want, but they never really get the jest of what we're trying to say. They are too concerned over "effort numbers" (the way our work is daily evaluated) and not concerned as much for the end result. (In other words, someone can make 20 calls a day, be on the phone for three hours, and sell $5000, but they were supposed to make 55 calls, three hours on the phone, and sell $2500. So they get in talked to, because they obviously did not put as much "effort" in as the other person!

Advice to Management

Come do our jobs for a day! Stop trying to think you understand what we go through on a daily basis. It's much different from when you used to do this job!

"CDW - the right technology, wrong management."

Current Employee - Network Security Specialist in Mettawa, IL
    Current Employee - Network Security Specialist in Mettawa, IL

Pros

CDW goes out if its' way to hire good people. It is a good, fun work environment and offers above average pay for above average producers.

Cons

who thought it would be a good idea to put an IT guy in charge of the entire sales organization? The founder, Michael Krasky's mantra was - take care of the co worker and they will take care of the customer. He built a billion dollar business that way. John Edwardsons focus seems to be - pander to the stock holder and pay lip service to the unwashed minions.

Advice to Management

actually put the "CDW Way" into practice - especially the "involve the stakeholder in the decision making process" part!

Showing 7 of 1,514 reviews