CDW Reviews in Mettawa, IL | Glassdoor

CDW Mettawa Reviews

Mettawa, IL

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • company benefits are great; culture is very focused on a healthy work-life balance (in 144 reviews)

• Flexible schedule - work from home 90% of the time (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes difficult to work/life balance (in 46 reviews)

• base salary is not competitive with other entry level sales jobs (in 80 reviews)

"Lack of structure and lack of big picture strategy"

Current Employee - Corporate Sales Operations in Mettawa, IL
    Current Employee - Corporate Sales Operations in Mettawa, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees are innovative because there is basically no structure.
    Lots of food which is bad if you don't want to gain weight.
    Employee diversity - they are very supportive of gay rights.

Cons

No structure or systems in place across the board. Get your act together! No structure may have worked 20 years ago when CDW was a small company but if they expect to succeed long term they need to put some resources into building a structure or fail.

Big egos in middle to upper management - please leave your egos at the door. You're not that great. Sometimes I snicker inside or cringe in embarrassment at some of the self-appraising statements I hear. This group (middle to upper management) are way more unprofessional than other large companies I've worked for. It appears they try to hire women that fit the 'mold' however they tend to be high strung monsters to work for. Again, the egos at CDW tend to be out of control especially considering that no one in leadership I ever encountered attended above a tier 3 or 4 university. There is a lot of un-professionalism and nepotism in management which really kills the morale. The favoritism is rampant and to get ahead you better brown nose the right people and fit a certain mold.

Revolving door in sales - VERY HIGH turnover. You never know when your 'coworker' or manager is just going to disappear one day. The company fires people for stupid reasons - usually it's political. They must have to pay a lot of unemployment compensation. Employees feel like there is an invisible hatchet over their neck - not a great way to promote good employee morale. In fact, it seems it's counterproductive. I have seen really good account managers start to fail when they're 'scolded' for inconsequential issues.

Strategic big-picture thinking is not encouraged. Instead there is a lot of micromanaging and focus on unimportant details while missing the big picture completely.

An immature culture - lower/middle management does a lot of finger-pointing and blaming. Lots of nice, hardworking people have had to leave the company because a woman above them has control issues. Make sure when you promote a 'coworker' to be a people manager that the power over others doesn't go to their head. Also, start making them accountable for what goes on under them. A failing employee is usually due to a lack of clear direction and the ability to motivate and grow. Treating human beings the same way you'd treat your dog when they have an accident in the house is demeaning!!! I have also noticed a lot of condescending management styles and the use of humiliation to correct errors. Not a great way to get the best from your employees and it makes it very awkward for coworkers like me that cringe when we see this. Remember it's not just stressful for you and the person being 'scolded like a child' - it's very stressful for others around them. Be professional and take care of this stuff behind closed doors. Embarrassment and demeaning adults = bad management. Childish behavior from people in management should NOT be encouraged.

The communications in this company are horrible! Not only do we rarely hear anything to explain company goals by the executives but when I have seen communications, I cringe at the grammatical errors and inability to articulate strategy clearly. Seriously the entire top tier of CDW needs some housecleaning!!!

I really don't see this company succeeding long term.

Advice to Management

Stop taking away our commissions and realize the goals you are setting are getting impossible to meet. I can't wait to leave!!

Work on being able to articulate the WHY and HOW of the company's strategy and goals. If you can't clearly explain it, how do you expect your employees to adopt it.

Stop using the word 'coworker' instead of 'employee' - it comes across as totally insincere in your authoritative company culture. We're not stupid.

Your pay is substandard. If you want to keep great employees, reward them with money. Daycare centers and workout centers don't apply to a lot of employees. We show up to work for pay to support our families, not bagels.

Develop more trust in your employees instead of trying to spy on them. Your new cubicle design will not foster collaboration. It will cause even more infighting and distractions. I can't stand having to sit next to someone who's very loud on the phone. I need to concentrate to do my work. Executives, if you like that design so much then maybe you should give up your large private offices and collaborate with each other. Maybe setting an example and walking your talk would get the rest of us on board. If not, then stop throwing us together like rats in an overcrowded cage.

I am spending a lot of my efforts in finding a job with a company that pays better. Hopefully before I have to share a cube with 6 'coworkers.'

The working from home program is a joke. You can just tell management wants to get rid of it.

"account manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Mettawa, IL

Pros

paid 1000 biweek;y on time every time
    good gym team SCUZZZZ

Cons

25k base? is that a joke?
    MAYBE 5k in commision first year
    Long training
    soul sucking
    cold calls all day every day

Advice to Management

DONT go here as an account manager if you have a bachelors degree, youre better then that!

"CDW is a sinking ship, get Krasny back and Zeman, they know how to motivate people and take care of the employees."

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Mettawa, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Mettawa, IL

Pros

You have an opportunity to earn a lot of money in sales. Other positions are average pay.

Cons

No work life balance
    No matter what the goals is, your never there
    They keep changing compensation
    They keep taking accounts from Sales
    Directors, Sr. Directors, Bill Weaver are very disconnected from what has made CDW great
    They are turing the place into a bunch of average to below average sales people
    It looks like HP and Dell from an inside perspective
    People are leaving in huge numbers and Management does not care

Advice to Management

start rewarding people, stop cutting compensation. Wake up, were losing tenured account managers every day and they are taking their accounts with them. The economy is impacting our business and give some people goal relief. Sr. Management has killed the moral of the sales people. WAKE UP, morale is at the lowest level in history! Your paying people in non sales positions a lot of money to do nothing. Pipeline, meetings and spreasheets don't produce sales. The Berbee integration was a joke and no one in upper management will be held accountable. (just blame account managers, than write them up and fire them) Alienate your best account managers, then justify why they leave ,as a good!

5. "fd"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Mettawa, IL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Mettawa, IL

Pros

Inside sales is always good. Free food - bagels, coffee, etc. Decent co-workers.

Cons

Management is always watching and listening to your conversations, some co-workers take sales from you. Management doesn't help you.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage people - help them don't scold them.

"Good place to learn the ropes... and that's about it.."

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Mettawa, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Mettawa, IL

Pros

As a new college graduate, CDW was very good to me in regards to training and teaching me how to successfully work in the IT industry. After 2-3 years at CDW as an Account Manager I had become very marketable to other IT companies in the industry. (Manufacturers and competitors)

Cons

Staying past LOS 24 was a waste of my time.. (for the non-CDW folks, they measure their employees Length Of Service in MONTHS not years.. very telling).. CDW continuously decreases commissions by raising goals and/or trimming your account base by 20%.. They always give a good organizational reason for the changes but the net effect is always the same, less money in your pocket.. After 2-3 years I knew everything I needed to know to move to a competitor in the area that doesn't play games with compensation & accounts.

Advice to Management

Stop playing games with Account Manager's goals and customer bases.. You are encouraging your best and brightest Account Managers to leave.. They will rebuild their success over and over again until they eventually realize they can get off the CDW treadmill and rebuild somewhere else.

7. "Marginal"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Mettawa, IL

Pros

cool people, good accounts to work with, easy to get time off.

Cons

Horrible base pay. Large amount of favoritism.

Advice to Management

higher base pay

"Telemarketing"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Mettawa, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

free things, great relationships and what not--- thats about it

Cons

No oppurtunities in small business

Advice to Management

help your employees move up in the company

"A Good Place to Build Experience"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Mettawa, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tons of resources. Lots of vendor support. Very helpful co-workers

Cons

The pay can be very low to start out. Certain departments, like small business, should be nothing more than a launching pad to another career either within or outside the company. Managers have the power to hold you back. Way too many levels of management.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your veteran employees. Don't take away from us to give to new employees because they aren't sticking around due to low pay.

"Great experience in 1st position - not a great experience in 2nd"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mettawa, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mettawa, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of free food (make sure you don't gain weight). Coworkers are pretty friendly. Great training program for entry-level sales.

Cons

I worked in two positions: I really liked the first one and had a great boss. He was very motivating and everyone worked to perform above and beyond for him. The second position was a nightmare! I had a micromanaging boss who had it in for me from the beginning. I have no idea what I did to her but she was manipulative and dishonest. I even caught her going into my documents and making changes so the numbers would be incorrect. She would also give me instructions via email in writing and then would give me DIFFERENT instructions verbally afterward. Then she would send the document I created following her verbal instructions to her manager saying I didn't follow what she wrote in her email. She made my life such a nightmare that I started getting panic attacks and heart palpitations. I ended up quitting but wish I had gone to HR first and told them about her underhanded behavior but figured it would be my word against hers and she has spent her entire career there and was promoted to supervisor with no degree or experience. I also found out she did the same thing to the man who held the job before me. I have no idea why this isn't a red flag to management. Because of her, I have a bad taste in my mouth about CDW. It looks like my experience was an exception rather than the norm.

Advice to Management

When a supervisor claims an employee is underperforming there may be an unusual reason why. Especially for employees who have past management experience and past managers' feedback contradict current supervisor. Follow up on supervisors who have a high turnover and a lot of write ups for their employees. Hopefully this doesn't happen often but the experience was horrible and left me feeling dehumanized and manipulated.

11. "Sales focused company"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Mettawa, IL
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Mettawa, IL

Pros

Interesting work environment. Sales team is very young and energetic. Decent salary overall. Access to a lot of new technology straight from the vendors.

Cons

the only decent salary is made through a low base pay and bonus structure to make up for it. Not much vacation time. Very Sales-centric company. CDW used to be a great place to work. It has since gone downhill

Advice to Management

take some time and listen to your non-sales roles. look at why your company made the top 50 places to work for so many years ago.

Showing 29 of 1,472 reviews