CDW Reviews in Mettawa, IL | Glassdoor

CDW Mettawa Reviews

Mettawa, IL

4.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • company benefits are great; culture is very focused on a healthy work-life balance (in 146 reviews)

• Flexible schedule - work from home 90% of the time (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes difficult to work/life balance (in 47 reviews)

• base salary is not competitive with other entry level sales jobs (in 80 reviews)

1. "Sales Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mettawa, IL

Pros

Great Company, Good atmosphere & Very nice benefit

Cons

Low dollar amount for mileage and other reimbursement

Advice to Management

None

"Great experience in 1st position - not a great experience in 2nd"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mettawa, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mettawa, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of free food (make sure you don't gain weight). Coworkers are pretty friendly. Great training program for entry-level sales.

Cons

I worked in two positions: I really liked the first one and had a great boss. He was very motivating and everyone worked to perform above and beyond for him. The second position was a nightmare! I had a micromanaging boss who had it in for me from the beginning. I have no idea what I did to her but she was manipulative and dishonest. I even caught her going into my documents and making changes so the numbers would be incorrect. She would also give me instructions via email in writing and then would give me DIFFERENT instructions verbally afterward. Then she would send the document I created following her verbal instructions to her manager saying I didn't follow what she wrote in her email. She made my life such a nightmare that I started getting panic attacks and heart palpitations. I ended up quitting but wish I had gone to HR first and told them about her underhanded behavior but figured it would be my word against hers and she has spent her entire career there and was promoted to supervisor with no degree or experience. I also found out she did the same thing to the man who held the job before me. I have no idea why this isn't a red flag to management. Because of her, I have a bad taste in my mouth about CDW. It looks like my experience was an exception rather than the norm.

Advice to Management

When a supervisor claims an employee is underperforming there may be an unusual reason why. Especially for employees who have past management experience and past managers' feedback contradict current supervisor. Follow up on supervisors who have a high turnover and a lot of write ups for their employees. Hopefully this doesn't happen often but the experience was horrible and left me feeling dehumanized and manipulated.

"account manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Mettawa, IL

Pros

paid 1000 biweek;y on time every time
    good gym team SCUZZZZ

Cons

25k base? is that a joke?
    MAYBE 5k in commision first year
    Long training
    soul sucking
    cold calls all day every day

Advice to Management

DONT go here as an account manager if you have a bachelors degree, youre better then that!

"A Good Place to Build Experience"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Mettawa, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tons of resources. Lots of vendor support. Very helpful co-workers

Cons

The pay can be very low to start out. Certain departments, like small business, should be nothing more than a launching pad to another career either within or outside the company. Managers have the power to hold you back. Way too many levels of management.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your veteran employees. Don't take away from us to give to new employees because they aren't sticking around due to low pay.

5. "Love it here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mettawa, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance
    Sales training program fantastic
    Benefits are competitive

Cons

Can get stuck if not self driven

6. "Building a long-term career with lots of potential for growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mettawa, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

CDW has a big focus on coworker development. I'm encouraged by the number of women in leadership positions across the company. I'm given flexibility and autonomy in how I do my job, and I get ample feedback to know how I'm performing. I still see plenty of room for growth and challenges and that's what keeps me here.

Cons

Each department has a different approach to working from home (some allow, some don't), which is very important to some individuals and I've heard feedback overall that there should be more flexibility in the policies.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay engaged with your teams and seek constant feedback. Also, continue to share developments within the company and communicate openly with your reports so they have the most current information and understand why things are done in a certain way.

CDW Response

May 5, 2015 – Senior Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. CDW takes pride in promoting a culture that encourages coworkers to build on their expertise, identify new talents and invest in their professional... More

7. "Great workplace"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Mettawa, IL

Pros

compensation, professional development, and benefits

Cons

management in some departments are lacking in leadership skills

"Lack of structure and lack of big picture strategy"

Current Employee - Corporate Sales Operations in Mettawa, IL
    Current Employee - Corporate Sales Operations in Mettawa, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees are innovative because there is basically no structure.
    Lots of food which is bad if you don't want to gain weight.
    Employee diversity - they are very supportive of gay rights.

Cons

No structure or systems in place across the board. Get your act together! No structure may have worked 20 years ago when CDW was a small company but if they expect to succeed long term they need to put some resources into building a structure or fail.

Big egos in middle to upper management - please leave your egos at the door. You're not that great. Sometimes I snicker inside or cringe in embarrassment at some of the self-appraising statements I hear. This group (middle to upper management) are way more unprofessional than other large companies I've worked for. It appears they try to hire women that fit the 'mold' however they tend to be high strung monsters to work for. Again, the egos at CDW tend to be out of control especially considering that no one in leadership I ever encountered attended above a tier 3 or 4 university. There is a lot of un-professionalism and nepotism in management which really kills the morale. The favoritism is rampant and to get ahead you better brown nose the right people and fit a certain mold.

Revolving door in sales - VERY HIGH turnover. You never know when your 'coworker' or manager is just going to disappear one day. The company fires people for stupid reasons - usually it's political. They must have to pay a lot of unemployment compensation. Employees feel like there is an invisible hatchet over their neck - not a great way to promote good employee morale. In fact, it seems it's counterproductive. I have seen really good account managers start to fail when they're 'scolded' for inconsequential issues.

Strategic big-picture thinking is not encouraged. Instead there is a lot of micromanaging and focus on unimportant details while missing the big picture completely.

An immature culture - lower/middle management does a lot of finger-pointing and blaming. Lots of nice, hardworking people have had to leave the company because a woman above them has control issues. Make sure when you promote a 'coworker' to be a people manager that the power over others doesn't go to their head. Also, start making them accountable for what goes on under them. A failing employee is usually due to a lack of clear direction and the ability to motivate and grow. Treating human beings the same way you'd treat your dog when they have an accident in the house is demeaning!!! I have also noticed a lot of condescending management styles and the use of humiliation to correct errors. Not a great way to get the best from your employees and it makes it very awkward for coworkers like me that cringe when we see this. Remember it's not just stressful for you and the person being 'scolded like a child' - it's very stressful for others around them. Be professional and take care of this stuff behind closed doors. Embarrassment and demeaning adults = bad management. Childish behavior from people in management should NOT be encouraged.

The communications in this company are horrible! Not only do we rarely hear anything to explain company goals by the executives but when I have seen communications, I cringe at the grammatical errors and inability to articulate strategy clearly. Seriously the entire top tier of CDW needs some housecleaning!!!

I really don't see this company succeeding long term.

Advice to Management

Stop taking away our commissions and realize the goals you are setting are getting impossible to meet. I can't wait to leave!!

Work on being able to articulate the WHY and HOW of the company's strategy and goals. If you can't clearly explain it, how do you expect your employees to adopt it.

Stop using the word 'coworker' instead of 'employee' - it comes across as totally insincere in your authoritative company culture. We're not stupid.

Your pay is substandard. If you want to keep great employees, reward them with money. Daycare centers and workout centers don't apply to a lot of employees. We show up to work for pay to support our families, not bagels.

Develop more trust in your employees instead of trying to spy on them. Your new cubicle design will not foster collaboration. It will cause even more infighting and distractions. I can't stand having to sit next to someone who's very loud on the phone. I need to concentrate to do my work. Executives, if you like that design so much then maybe you should give up your large private offices and collaborate with each other. Maybe setting an example and walking your talk would get the rest of us on board. If not, then stop throwing us together like rats in an overcrowded cage.

I am spending a lot of my efforts in finding a job with a company that pays better. Hopefully before I have to share a cube with 6 'coworkers.'

The working from home program is a joke. You can just tell management wants to get rid of it.

9. "Overall experience is positive."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Mettawa, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I like the work atmosphere. Everyone seems to enjoy working for the company and there are a lot of perks with the job.

Cons

Base salary is very low compared to the rest of the industry. Sometimes the account managers have to compete with fellow account managers from other segments even though at the end of the day we are all working for the same company.

Advice to Management

Management should all be on the same page when it comes to the message that we all work for the same company and there is no need to compete with each other when it comes to who should keep an account.

"If you work hard you can go far in this company."

Current Employee - Learning Environment Advisor in Mettawa, IL
    Current Employee - Learning Environment Advisor in Mettawa, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about this company is the way they develop their employees. There is a world of knowledge that can be learned and easily accessed. I have been in the Sales industry for almost 25 years now and never received the kind of training that CDW offers to their employees.

Cons

The biggest challenge to overcome working for CDW is often compensation. There is a lot of incentive if you are doing everything you can to close deals, but the biggest battle comes from fighting the internal processes in order to make money. The constant fight to keep your deals profitable is easily the most daunting aspect of joining a sales team at CDW. That being said if you learn the system and leverage the right partner relationships the overall experience can be very rewarding.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like the individuals they are and try to avoid alienating the company's best resource in the shuffle of corporate minutiae.

Showing 29 of 1,510 reviews