CDW Reviews in Vernon Hills, IL | Glassdoor

Updated August 20, 2017

Vernon Hills, IL

3.5

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • company benefits are great; culture is very focused on a healthy work-life balance (in 146 reviews)

• Flexible schedule - work from home 90% of the time (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes difficult to work/life balance (in 47 reviews)

• base salary is not competitive with other entry level sales jobs (in 80 reviews)

1. "Average job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time

Pros

From what I see, decent benefits, 7 paid holidays with one floating holiday, Having a routine work week of mon-fri. Coworkers are very friendly and helpful

Cons

Too many people like step on one another to get higher up the ladder. The founder wanted it to feel like a family but over time the values have slipped away. too much expectations, doesn't seem to a whole lot not a whole lot of room for growth. Some members of management like to micromanage. One killer of management is micromanagement. Base pay can be a little better to.

Advice to Management

On the shipping side of things. The productivity system that is in place now. Is flawed!, it seems as tho it's all about numbers!! numbers!! numbers!! if you don't make your numbers your in trouble after awhile. That puts a great deal of stress on coworkers just trying to make their numbers everyday. Coworkers start getting greedy, they go after all the easy work for themselves everyone is running around like chickens with their heads cut off. More likely to mess up. I'm telling you to whoever reads this. It would be far better to have a error system in place instead. You get so many errors a year an if you make to many you get suspended or what have you. That way you would be able to retain workers for longer just go until your done, less stressed. Just like part of the moto says " we listen" so listen.

"Good company but too many people care about themselves climbing the ladder."

Former Employee - Sales Operations Supervisor in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Operations Supervisor in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great values on the operations side. Cut throat on the sales side. The backbone is the bread n butter of the company. They make it happen.

Cons

Too many people step on others to get higher in the food chain. Sales side is not as family oriented as the operations side. The founder wanted it to feel like a family but over time the values have slipped away.

Advice to Management

Don’t treat employees like they are expendable.

3. "CDW"

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for, great benefits, have a great culture to help family and work.

Cons

The only con was the transition to get hired permanently took longer than was originally stated.

"CDW Responded with a Scripted Message"

Current Employee - Configuration Technician in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Configuration Technician in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This was their response to my posting last month of which was NO LIE!!!.
    "A coworker took a few days off for the loss of his father. He came back and got no sympathy card from us or wish of condolences from any coworker because the manager didn't bother to spread the word (did not care) - it was a need to know basis I guess... I felt bad for the dude who decided to come back to work after a couple of days - the dude was still in mourning.

Cons

Another instance, another coworker fell ill in the warehouse and had to be rushed to the E.R. He told me that he called his manager a few hours from the hospital to let him know that they were gonna keep him for a few days. And I was not surprise when he told me these exact words from a Manager -
    "Who's this?.. oh Ok I know who you are, so what?... You know what, don't call me again!.. If you need to speak to someone here, call H.R. click" That's CDW Management in a nut shell.

Advice to Management

Don't bother trying to cover up your slave warehouse... Production!!! production!!! Production!!! No Sitting!!! No Rest!!! No Talking!!! Sounds like slave labor to me.

"Just OK"

Former Employee - Office in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Office in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, Friendly coworkers, stock options

Cons

Was great in the beginning but once public loyalty to hard workers was gone.
    It's not about how hard you work, it's about who you know and work for. Hard workers not treated very well. Those who just skim by under the radar keep going without being reprimanded. It's a very mans man type of place. Work life balance was good for some while most had none. Very unfair balance cross the board no firm set of rules it's all manager discretion

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the hard workers and let the slackers go. Be more involved from a higher level and promote when needed to all staff not just your favorites.

6. "Tech"

Current Employee - Technician in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Technician in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work- love my coworkers and the way we all pull together to respond with a sense of urgency

Cons

pace is very quick however its understandable for our industry

Advice to Management

Could we combine our sick and vacation banks into one pool of time off?

7. "Sr. Quality Assurance Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Quality Assurance Analyst in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Quality Assurance Analyst in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent work culture, good IT projects, lot of training, good work-personal life balance

Cons

Nothing to think of as of now

"There was a time ..."

Former Employee - Configuration Technician in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Configuration Technician in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

pastries every Tuesday. I know, that is pathetic.

Cons

I have been there nearly 17 years. I have a laundry list of complaints which includes pay, coworkers, management from the very top to the bottom.

Advice to Management

How about a higher pay rate instead of the "competitive salary" rhetoric that we keep hearing. Such ambiguous language makes for an unhappy employee. Competitive salaries fall into a bell curve. Why should CDW coworkers be on the lower end of that "competitive" curve?

More can be said.

"Warehouse Support Specialist"

Current Employee - Warehouse Support Specialist in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Warehouse Support Specialist in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Leadership makes themselves open and available to their employees. Friendly environment. Lots of room for growth. I never feel like I am out of the loop on anything going on.

Cons

Pay is a little below the medium for warehouses. Getting in there is difficult because most people stay there once they are hired so you either need to know someone or go through being a contractor.

Advice to Management

Not yet, but if I did I know they would listen to me.

"Marketing Department at CDW offers growth opportunities"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Variety of work was deep and offered marketing employees the opportunity to learn/use new methods and tools for marketing the solutions CDW sells.

Cons

Some "Old Guard" supervisory-level employees have a tendency to make working there a popularity contest.

Advice to Management

Move your supervisory-level employees around within the organization, teach them how to be motivating and supportive to those they manage. Recognition and monetary rewards are better solutions than free bagels and ice cream.

Showing 142 of 1,525 reviews