CEA Study Abroad Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 30, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Brian J. Boubek

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "The best work environment I've experienced so far"

Former Employee - Site Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Site Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at CEA Study Abroad full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Management genuinely cares about your success and well being.
    -Provides all the necessary support and resources to achieve success.
    -Work environment is engaging, friendly, and team driven.
    -Employees equate individual success with the success of the team
    -Individual recognition for outstanding employees
    -Great benefits and monthly activities.
    -Management wants you to know the structure and transparency of the organization .

Cons

None. There isn't much else you can ask for in a company.

Advice to Management

Continue valuing team work and being transparent with employees.

Jun 20, 2018 – Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It's great to hear that you had such an outstanding experience working at CEA. We do our very best to value the many talented... More

2. "A good organization to work for"

I have been working at CEA Study Abroad full-time

Pros

I have been with CEA for over 6 months now and have had a good experience so far. From the time I was recruited to the current time, everything and everyone has been good. The recruiter from CEA gave me a great first impression of the organization in recruiting me as well as helping me get on boarded and answering my many questions.
    Once you get here you find out that everyone is very friendly and willing to help you, especially the Program Development department. Even in departments that you do not work directly with everyone is very friendly. I made a good decision in working for CEA.

Cons

There has been some turnover since I have been here, but not directly in my department.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. This is a fun place to work!

Jun 20, 2018 – Marketing

We're happy that your first few months with CEA have been positive. We've worked hard to improve our onboarding processes to ensure new employees feel welcomed from the very first day. Thank you for... More

"Former Marketing Team Member"

I worked at CEA Study Abroad full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great connections made cross-departmentally. CEA has a collaborative environment because those coming into the organization truly care about their and the organization’s impact within international higher education.

Cons

The antiquated environment and processes hang on the fringes of the CEO’s wavering and emotional business decisions. This is my major concern - that there is not a governing board to develop the C-suite to be able to make the right decisions to mobilize the business. For example, the HR department reports directly to the CEO who makes all end decisions with no checks or balances. This promotes an unhealthy environment where employees are in fear of being fired at any moment and lack of change management paralyzes all team’s momentum.

The organization is unwilling to invest in their employees. This is shown in lack of performance reviews and underpayment. Lack of resources for professional development means employees only get the opportunity to grow in their personal goals on their own time, declining morale.

Off the mark for understanding their audience. As a new cohort of students/customers become the target audience, organizations need to adapt to modes of communication to help them make their final decisions. The sales team need to communicate through all digital mediums including chatbots and allow students to go through the entire enrollment process digitally. Students/Gen Z simply do not want to talk on the phone.

Marketing team experiences a lot of churn due to underrepresentation in C-suite. There are two decision makers within the organization: CEO and CFO. All departments report up into them. With heavy emphasis on lead-generation, the marketing team is unable to effectively invest time and effort in the entire inbound process due to lack of funding and short staffing with processes and team structure changing biannually.

Advice to Management

I cannot emphasize enough the need for a board of directors to help catch the business up to the current time and take some autonomy away from the CEO and truly understand the customer.

They must start paying livable and sustainable wages to all employees.

CEA must get sales and marketing representation with digital experience in C-suite to better manage the teams and make management decisions with trust from the CEO and CFO.

Jun 20, 2018 – Marketing

We appreciate your feedback. We are constantly looking for opportunities to update our systems and processes to better respond to the needs of our students, universities and employees. We will take... More

4. "Medical Assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at CEA Study Abroad full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good benefits, (health dental vision)

Cons

Quality depends on department you work in

Jun 20, 2018 – Marketing

We appreciate the time you took to leave a comment, but we suspect that you may have accidentally selected the wrong organization as CEA Study Abroad does not have any "Medical Assistant" positions.... More

"A Revolving door of turnover for Director and Executive Level Emoloyees"

I worked at CEA Study Abroad full-time

Pros

CEA provides a great service to its students. Employees are great

Cons

Horrible turnover, especially for director and executive level employees hired within 1 year. Very few Directors or Managers make it to 1 year before being let go because of the unstable environment at the executive level. They have these ‘Core Values’ that they hide behind, but once you get there you realize that the executive team is not living those. Almost all of the Director level employees they hired in 2017 have been let go. Very unstable environment with high turnover due to the poor leadership on the executive level

Advice to Management

Give director level employees time to do their job before firing them.

Jun 20, 2018 – Marketing

We appreciate your feedback. While we strive to hire the right skill set for every position, occasionally we find that the fit is not right for the employee or the organization. We've worked hard to... More

"Admissions Counselor"

Pros

Great people, great products, great industry.

Cons

Crazy leadership. Constant firings, dramatic strategic shifts, no cohesive vision or plan for more than 3 months out.

Jun 20, 2018 – Marketing

We appreciate your feedback, and are glad you not only met great colleagues at CEA, but also witnessed first hand how an international education can change lives. As you observed, CEA re-structured a... More

7. "Sad to be leaving my CEA Family"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at CEA Study Abroad full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have loved my time here at CEA and am sad to be leaving. I have made some great friends and connections with those I have worked with throughout my time here. It is upsetting to see negative reviews from people who just were NOT team players and who were NOT good for our culture. CEA incorporated the core values and this is seen in everything that we do with our students and how our leadership leads. I'm proud to have worked for a business that has such a big heart and dedication with our students, Universities and all interactions, but still manages to know how to measure us and train up for success.

Cons

None here, everyone has been amazing to me and I'm grateful for the opportunities I have been given because of CEA.

Advice to Management

A tuition reimbursement program would be amazing for those of us still looking to complete our graduate degrees or other higher Ed program. Keep the working form home option, everyone loves this and it makes CEA better for offering this option.

Jun 20, 2018 – Marketing

Thank you for your positive words. We are glad that the CEA Values made an impact on your time at CEA and that they contributed to a positive work environment. We strive at all levels of the... More

"A toxic, money-hungry, failing company with questionable business practices"

Former Employee - Enrollment in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Enrollment in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at CEA Study Abroad full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The entry level employees CEA hires are passionate and usually working in higher education for the right reasons.

Cons

While CEA pretends to be an organization that "puts people first," the truth is that the only goal is to get as much money as possible through aggressive sales techniques, misleading information, non-refundable deposits, and fine print that tricks students into losing large sums of money. The enrollment department is shifting from students with real college degrees and higher education experience to call center employees and students that attended and worked at online, for-profit, scam colleges. While some programs offer a solid experience, many of the programs are designed to be as cheap as possible for the most profit imaginable, while coaxing students into maximizing federal loan money to pay off program prices with no regard to the spiraling debt many of their "prospective students" will fall into. Middle management and up foster a cutthroat, harmful environment. Enrollment Leadership constantly berates their employees for "unprofessionalism," like speaking negatively about students and parents, while exhibiting the exact same behaviors. They create a hostile work environment for anyone that doesn't drink their kool-aid of immoral education practices. After recent HR leadership left, they were praised for hiring "over 80 new employees" in a year and a half, when in reality the red flags of that level of turn over (in a home office of roughly 150 people) should have been alarming. HR exhibits constant unprofessionalism, encouraging employees to come speak with them and holding open forums to express concerns, while using those meeting to gather evidence to hold against employees for future witch-hunts. The enrollment department alone has seen an almost 100% turnover in the last 6-12 months. The executive leadership is a tense environment of blame, yelling, and hostility. Current employees have been asked by Vice-Presidents their age in job interviews, and those Vice-Presidents have made disparaging remarks about people's genders in semi-open environments. The workplace is tense and uncomfortable most of the time, with employees being fired on a regular basis and quitting even more regularly. The most unfortunate part of all of this is that none of it will change until there is a new CEO because he is the first to blame, to yell, and to encourage these questionable practices. If you currently work there, I recommend you get out as soon as you can. If you are pursuing employment at CEA, I suggest you run as far away as you can. To anyone working there that thinks this is normal office culture because either you came straight out of college or your previous job was worse, I just want to apologize for what you’re being put through. No one deserves what CEA does to its employees, and no student deserves to pay so much for such a lackluster program.

Advice to Management

Advice to anyone: get out while you can, and don't look back.

Jun 20, 2018 – Marketing

We are saddened that your time at CEA wasn't a positive one. We strive to create an inclusive, collaborative work environment while providing quality educational programs for our students.

"Viewpoint from someone with workplace tenure"

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at CEA Study Abroad full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not only does CEA Executive Leadership get "it" but my manager do too! While there are many moving parts at CEA and the growing pains that come with them, many of the immature employees you see writing reviews here have no previous "real world" experience to base their viewpoints from. The CEO is engaged so much that he actually came to a team meeting to deliver his vision and direction for the team along with a show of solidarity with my managers, that was a first for me in my many years of experience. CEA offers monthly happy hours, volunteer hours that are paid by the company, and we just concluded a CEA hosted Thanksgiving Lunch. CEA has been great to me and I look forward to the future here.

Cons

I had to learn a completely new product even though I was not new to admissions. The on-the-job training was good but the development of more formal training could help anyone coming in that does not have previous admission experience.

Advice to Management

Keep driving forward! You are great at what you do. Anyone who is afraid of change will likely be afraid of you, but CEA needs the change you are bringing so please do not let up. You cannot let a few people derail you vision and drive. Many of us in the department are only here because of you so please do not get discouraged, we support you day in and day out.

Jun 20, 2018 – Marketing

We are glad that CEA is a great place for you to learn and grow. We aim for all our employees to gain valuable work experience and acquire new knowledge at every turn. We are glad the time to build... More

"A company in decline"

Current Employee - Admissions in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Admissions in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at CEA Study Abroad full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Whatever positives there used to be working at CEA they have been pushed out and replaced with a mantra of more money at any cost.

Cons

What is best for the student has gone out the window. It is a now a cut throat office. Values listed are all for show.

Advice to Management

When a department fails, you don't blame the staff, you blame the leadership. You are approaching 100% turnover in less than 12 months and falling short of goals. Maybe your new direction needs correcting.

Jun 20, 2018 – Marketing

While we know that change is unavoidable at times, we do strive to create continuity in the workplace. Thank you for your contributions while employed at CEA and thank you for taking the time to... More