CEB Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
CEB Chairman and CEO Thomas L. Monahan III
Thomas L. Monahan III

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work life balance and opportunities for development (in 162 reviews)

• CEB provided an amazing stepping stone to build the confidence to speak to C-level Executives at a strategic level (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation may be slightly low compared to industry standards but work-life balance is much higher compared to industry standards (in 70 reviews)

• Sometimes sclerotic senior management processes (in 45 reviews)

1. "Operations Analyst"

Former Employee - Operations Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst in Arlington, VA

I worked at CEB full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good work, life balance, telecommuting, variety of work

Cons

Burn and churn
    Overworked and underpaid
    No growth opportunity
    Lack of visibility
    Just a number
    If you are a part of the insideclique you are okay, if you are not well good luck

"Was hired then they recinded my offer."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at CEB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't think of anything good to say about them.

Cons

Lengthy hiring process, was pushed-pulled in several directions, and after they extended me an offer (and i put notice in at my old job), they recinded my offer over "Restructuring". Not sure where I'm going to work now.

"Stay awayyyyyyyy"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at CEB full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Young, start up like culture
    - Opportunities to grow if you're hired onto a team invested in their people
    - Easy to move around within the company
    - Outside of pay, great time off and benefits
    - D&I efforts starting to pay off

Cons

- Horrible management practices - lack of effective coaches and managers
    - Illogical decision making at the leadership level
    - Burn and churn culture
    - Pay 23% below industry standard
    - Gartner acquisition has people stressed and uncertain - overachievers are becoming micromanagers from hell while others are completely checked out fearing severance

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff and eat your own dog food - you've hired really talented and smart individuals who analyze and compile best practices. Follow the instructions you give to your clients on how to run a best-in-class organization

"Needs Complete Overhaul"

I worked at CEB full-time

Pros

I cannot think of any.

Cons

Put high potential talent in administrative roles until they end up leaving. They recruiters lied to me. Told me how easy it was to transition into another area of the business (i.e. advisory, marketing, research). Once you are in the sales and service pipeline it is very difficult to get out. I tried for over 2 years. The sales and service career path is not fully defined and needs to be overhauled. The entry level roles are extremely administrative and frankly I was embarrassed to tell people what I did when I have a business degree from a top 20 school in the country. Because of the administrative roles engagement is very low. People are always leaving to the point where I stopped making friends because they would probably quit. If you're in business development you will dial hundreds of times a day. If you are in account management you will be the secretary for the account manager(s) that you work under. It's their way or the highway. Anything they ask for you must do or they will report you to your manager who will not stick up for you. One of my friends had to get lunch for their Account Manager. CEB claims to be an advisory firm that provides research on best practices. However, they do not practice what they preach.

Advice to Management

Don't hire people with 4 year degrees in business and them stick them in administrative roles (i.e. business development associate or account management associate). It is extremely disengaging and makes people not want to work there.

"Business Development Manager"

I have been working at CEB full-time

Pros

Excellent coworkers and work-life balance

Cons

Middle level management is awful. Learn to treat your employees like people!

"Research Analyst/Senior Research Analyst"

I worked at CEB full-time

Pros

Compensation is decent for the Research Analyst and Senior Analyst roles.

Cons

Please, please, please if you read this don't accept a job in Tech Middle Market. It's not worth your time or energy. You can find a job somewhere else and will be much happier. Here are a few reasons why you shouldn't accept the job:

(1) Management is HORRIFIC for Tech Middle Market. The managers are so disconnected from their employees.
    (2) There's clear favoritism based on no merit.
    (3) There's no team camaraderie.
    (3) The Analyst/Senior Analyst turnover rate is insane. People drop out of this team like flies.

7. "Awful management layer, company has no future"

Former Employee - Product Manager, Talent Management in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Product Manager, Talent Management in Arlington, VA

I worked at CEB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Flexible hours, PTO
    - Easy job, literally just a 40-hour a week job
    - Good location in Virginia, convenient
    - Lots of hiring of young people to replace the old people that have never had a second job

Cons

- Super management heavy, the heads and group leads are super corporate. No one has true skill or vision of how to advance, everyone is process oriented. Too many cooks in the kitchen.
    - Don't even take their own advice or research, operate as a large, monolithic company
    - Transparency is BS, after acquisition, you can't trust anyone
    - Attrition is super high, good talent has left and those left behind and have nowhere to go

Advice to Management

Resign - let a new generation step up. Your skills are obsolete, stop focusing on process and show your real skills.

"DO NOT WORK IN FINANCE PRACTICE"

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at CEB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/Life balance
    Cool office building

Cons

I believe that the broader organization is a great place to work. However, the finance practice is a mess. It is so poorly managed that nothing gets done. When things get done it's because they cut all junior members of the team out and have the research director and program manager sit in a room and cook up the research. You may work on a project for months and it is quickly blown up for no reason or you work on a project and they don't have time to review it so it just goes away. Everything that they "create" or say they create is repurposed and they only do it to please the FLORS leader.

Not only is project management a problem, but management is horrible to the analysts. They basically tell you you're disposable. The root cause of this problem (to use a ceb term) is the main product manager. She will talk about you in the room like your not present and she refuses to directly email/provide feedback to analysts and rather goes through their manager. I've been told that I wasted her time and needed to apologize, yet she couldn't tell me this directly. She's also the root cause for nothing getting done. These problems have been brought to HR multiple times by different people and nothing has changed. It's not worth your time or effort! AVOID FINANCE PRACTICE

Advice to Management

Provide management with "how to be a good manager classes" because they clearly have no idea.

"Beware of the sexism and racism"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Bright, energetic colleagues doing outstanding work on behalf of the most recognized and leading companies in industry.

Cons

Has a "burn and churn" company culture which results in high turnover and over stressed employees. Also has an awful lot of sexism and racism.

"Business Developer"

I worked at CEB full-time

Pros

Exciting work place and they pay for your travel expenses which, was amazing to travel.

Cons

- Success is determined by what Program you are placed in.
    - You're a glorified Phone Slammer. If you love slamming phones and calling people who really don't want to talk with you, than this job is for you.
    - Manager Swapping, so it's tough to have your manager fully invested in you.
    - When it's time to cut costs they use employees by re-assigning them to new SE's (Sales Executives) without a full territory transition. Leaving you with the smallest amount of prospects to call, who have a history of not wanting CEB's product so it's as if they set you up to fail. Than they fire you, or ask you to put your 2 week notice in (Resign from position), or you end up quitting. But you can't receive unemployment no matter what you do because they blame you for failing to hit metrics which, in most States of the US don't honor unemployment to be paid out to those who fail to hit metrics.
    - I was in position for 9 months, exceeded sales goal expectations for the First Half of the Year. Than my SE, left the company where I was reassigned to a new one, had 0 territory to work with besides accounts that didn't want CEB, and I was pushed to leave the company.

Advice to Management

Invest in your associates, even if you are reassigned to new ones. It's in your best interest to invest your time into your associates because...... YOU ARE A MANAGER, and better yet. THEIR MANAGER. Do what your job description says.

Showing 157 of 1,329 reviews