CEB Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEB Chairman and CEO Thomas L. Monahan III
Thomas L. Monahan III

Pros
  • work life balance, great coworkers (in 135 reviews)

• The exposure to C level executives so early in your career is unprecedented (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation may be slightly low compared to industry standards but work-life balance is much higher compared to industry standards (in 65 reviews)

• Sometimes sclerotic senior management processes (in 44 reviews)

"Not open to change"

I have been working at CEB full-time

Pros

Some nice colleagues, somewhat flexible work environment

Cons

Very insular group from mid-level up, almost all of whom were promoted from within. Very resistant to change. Not welcoming to new hires. Blackhole performance evaluation process that is very poorly run. And the research process is very suspect.

Advice to Management

Be open to new ideas and be kind to new hires

2. "Collections Associate"

Former Employee - Collections Associate in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Collections Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at CEB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Consisten Pay. Moderately good benefits.

Cons

Management can be set in stone and unwavering. Not much room for advancement.

3. "Entry level is cold calling, plain and simple."

Former Employee - Business Development Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Business Development Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at CEB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company culture, young sales teams, potential positions later on, and they pay for travel. Also recently acquired by Gartner.

Cons

Entry level is cold calling sales to C-Level executives and your success is dependent on arbitrary placement into a certain industry.

Advice to Management

Expand campus recruiting beyond just sales jobs

"straight white men, white women, gay white men..."

I worked at CEB full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

...that's the pecking order. If you fall in one of those 3 groups, you have a much greater chance of success and moving up the ladder at CEB. So "pro," if that's you!

Co-workers - CEB has some really great people who work there (as well as some pretty awful people - particularly managers/"leaders" - but that will go in the cons section). In general, though, lots of good people. This does vary by office and department, so ask around/choose wisely, but generally you will find a good group.

Generous PTO policy: 20 - 24 days, dependent on the position. If you're in the commercial department, there are some restrictions on when you can take days given quarter closes, etc, but overall nice to have the number of days.

Cons

over the years, my opinion of CEB has shifted drastically. The cons have become more striking:

1) Despite claims of diversity and inclusion by "liberal-minded" CEBers, the company is neither diverse nor inclusive - with the exception being the LGBT community. They do a good job of saying all of the typical "bleeding heart liberal" speak, but in practice, CEB doesn't look much different than a GOP convention. In fact, even the Diversity and Inclusion practice (where they give best practices to D&I professionals) was called out for...you guessed it! Lack of diversity and inclusion in the staff! ha! The DC office is definitely better than other offices, but still pretty awful. And of course, there's an office in India, so that helps with the numbers, too.

2) Senior leadership / management - lots of nepotism and cronyism. Stifling environment.

3) Professional maturity is lacking at ALL levels in this company.

4) Varying range in caliber of co-workers. CEB lauds itself on having some of the smartest people from the best schools. This was the case many moons ago, but not so much any longer. There will be quite a widespread range in the caliber of your coworkers and managers.

5) Ridiculous amounts of turnover: CEB is bleeding employees. Hemorrhaging, actually. Rows of cubicles sitting empty - daily strings of resignations. The commercial department is particularly affected, but still a challenge across the board. Attrition is greater in some offices and departments than in others - ask about the issues before joining. In the Research Department, most groups are overworked and understaffed. Pretty ridiculous.

6) In the commercial department, entry-level employees are treated like mindless-drones. Lots of references to them as "kids" and " those millenials..." as a way to brush this group off/ discount their feedback. Many are very intelligent and could be contributing so much more to the company, but they are treated like they lack intelligence and the ability to offer anything of substance. So, they are limited to counting the number of phone calls that they make on a daily basis. Exciting, right?!

7) Best practice insights are not leveraged! The entire company is focused on reporting "what the best companies do," yet, CEB doesn't "do"/"implement any of the things it chronicles! Such a waste of IP.

Advice to Management

You know the issues, you know your challenges, your employees have been sharing feedback about them for many, many years, so I doubt anything will change. Hopefully, the new leadership from Gartner will actually take the more critical reviews to heart and bring about real change in the organization.

6. "Tremendous Turn Over"

Former Employee - BDX in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - BDX in Chicago, IL

I worked at CEB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young workplace. Good office location. Decent pay. That's about it.

Cons

Where do I begin? CEB disguises the BDX & AMX roles as consultative roles when in reality this is nothing more than a burn & churn sales job for kids straight out of college with no real-world experience. The job requires non-stop cold-calling under high pressure from management to meet quota. Speaking of management...it's an absolute joke. I've seen plenty of people complain about their managers during my year at CEB and it's totally warranted--leadership is severely lacking. However, the most outstanding negative about CEB is the turn-over. I left CEB in 2015. Fast-forward 2 years later and the vast majority of the entire Chicago office has turned over. I'm talking at least 80% and that's not an exaggeration. Nobody stays at CEB because there are better much jobs out there.

"Probably a better "first" job"

Former Employee - Advisory Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Advisory Analyst in Arlington, VA

I worked at CEB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

CEB is a great job for someone fresh out of college. It's a relatively young environment in some departments. You'll be surrounded by some incredibly smart people on the research teams. They offer great benefits -- medical, dental, vision, 401k, stock plan, and have a generous PTO policy. They also seem relatively lenient on working remotely as needed. In the role that I was in, I was able to interact daily with CXOs, which in turn has really boosted my speaking skills and confidence levels. The hours were great -- I generally worked from 9-5:30, was able to unplug while out of the office, and had minimal travel. That's just for my role, however.

Cons

It's a very fake culture. Everyone here is the same, and often I felt like an outsider. That being said, I don't think I was a great fit for the company anyway, given that I came over through an acquisition. The pay is very low compared to other consulting firms. Everyone here is expected to be commercial even if you're not in a commercial role. It's very frustrating. Your success really depends on your manager. I was very lucky to have a fantastic manager who supported my goals and career growth, however that's not always the case. It seems difficult to be promoted, and the promotion process was strange -- others on the team had to be consulted even though the individual may not be exposed to those team members. Outside of my direct manager, there wasn't any other real recognition for stellar work. It was very hierarchical, and I never truly understood the phrase "workplace politics" until I worked at CEB. It's not for everyone.

Advice to Management

You're in the business of re-packaging best practices. Perhaps you should actually implement some of your own research.

"Poor organization and miscommunication"

Former Employee - Account Management Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Management Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at CEB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent training program, good healthcare and employee benefits, very social and engaging corporate culture in the office for off-hours (community vibe).

Cons

Constant restructuring of various departments and shifting teams; responsibilities change quarterly and not very easy to pass through the training program as a result. Time to complete the entire training program can take between 3-4 years, when they claim 1-2. Long hours and over-reaching sales objectives in the account management division, causing a huge drain on performance and morale.

Advice to Management

Organize yourselves better and implement a more rational training program.

9. "Don't join sales"

I worked at CEB full-time

Pros

The pay isn't too bad

Cons

Terrible environment to work in

Advice to Management

Focus on people, not only money

"Business Development Associate"

I worked at CEB full-time

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Awesome location in the heart of downtown Chicago. They are really trying to develop a better company culture to bring the different departments together.

Cons

I felt like I went back to high school because, of the way this place was run and the way in which its staff behaved. Getting ahead on work is not encouraged but, pokemon go around the office is. If you are looking for a place where your social standing matters more than the quality of your work, this is the place for you.

11. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

Salary, Visibility to C-Suite, Great company to start a career

Cons

Management, Product Worth, Not allowed any days off at end of year

Showing 201 of 1,164 reviews