CEB Senior Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEB Chairman and CEO Thomas L. Monahan III
Thomas L. Monahan III

Pros
  • Great work life balance and opportunities for development (in 140 reviews)

• Being able to connect with C-Level Executives (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation may be slightly low compared to industry standards but work-life balance is much higher compared to industry standards (in 65 reviews)

• Sometimes sclerotic senior management processes (in 44 reviews)

1. "account manaGER"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at CEB (More than a year)

Pros

good health care and overall good working environment

Cons

extremely young company...difficult market environment

"Business Development Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at CEB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place for someone to start straight out of college, get valuable training, and leave after 2 years for a better job and an exciting company. If you did not start at CEB out of college, stay far away from here because you will not make much money in sales. When you see some of the top sales reps in the organization far behind goals it tells you a big story on how the value to employees.

Cons

Suffocating sales culture, micromanagement stifles creativity and growth, constant backstabbing, Very inexperienced and immature management team, revolving door, sales compensation plans are very uncompetitive compared to their industry lacks energy, sucks the life out of you if you have to go into an office, and find myself constantly competing against other CEB products while in the sales cycle.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach to our customers, hire a new CHRO who can come in with fresh ideas and fix a very poor employee culture.

"Sr. Business Development Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at CEB (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of smart, motivated people work here who are continually willing to collaborate and work hard. CEB has a unique offering that fills an enduring niche in the business world.

Cons

High staff and management turnover in the revenue side of the house- for example, I worked for 3 different direct managers in less than 2 years and had 4 different associates work for me during the same time period.

Promotions based on office politics and favoritism rather than merit. This is an objective viewpoint, as I worked remotely and saw first hand mutlitple cases where more tenured, outwardly full performing associates in my practice area were passed over for promotions while counterparts with less experience, but stronger friendships with managers, were vaulted into advanced positions during moments of attrition and job vacancies opening.

My last manager has no business being a supervisor of personnel. She explicitly asked me to break company policy in order close business before the end of a quarter (others were present when this occurred) and then threatened me not to go to more senior management and explain actions I took had been based upon her instructions. She in no uncertain terms told me she would deny my account to protect her reputation that she had been building at the firm for many years and that upper management would believe her over me. It's sad when a manager has zero accountability and is only interested in herself. It erodes trust and really makes you lose any respect for them. Anecdotally, the rest of the staff found her a poor communicator and unapproachable- she constantly arrived to work late and spent at least 1 day/week working from home. When she is in the office, employees tell me she keeps her door closed.

CEB management said it was interested in moving into new markets (my role was to execute this objective), and then expects instant revenue growth from a sector where they have no brand, and the firm has zero understanding of the variables like buyers' budgetary cycles and constraints and procurement processes and regs. For 18 months, CEB rigidly pushed the same solution and pricing it offers to large enterprises to small organizations (think federal government vs. city, county, and state governments), and then was disappointed when we didn't close more business amongst these smaller-sized organizations. The pricing and offering were grossly misaligned (a peer and I communicated this to our leadership on multiple occasions and memorialized accounts of conversations with prospects demonstrating the poor fit of CEB's solution set for these prospects' business challenges). CEB leadership was too obtuse to recognize thhat their offering was not a one-size fits all solution and chose not to adjust the services or price.

Advice to Management

Take some of your HR best practice insights to heart and promote individuals based on merit, not personal friendships and social ties. Take a moment to pause and listen to your sales people. Poor revenue numbers are not soley attributable to the salesperson's capabilities and effort.

5. "A company that truly values its employees"

Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

This company has values that can actually mean something and be tied back to tangible actions. They care about their employees' ability to have work/life balance by implementing a lot of ways to make it easier to have flexibility. We are an extremely mobile workforce.

Force of Ideas – discovering and creating actionable ideas and insights, and delivering them in timely, targeted, and memorable ways
    Spirit of Generosity – forging genuine relationships with our members, our colleagues, and our communities centered on service and generous exchange
    Member Impact – effectively advancing member interest and contributing to member achievements through relentless innovation
    Stewardship of Exceptional Talent – investing extraordinary effort in recruiting, developing, and managing exceptional talent and fostering an entrepreneurial and aspirational culture that enables outsized individual and team impact

Cons

Having the ability to be connected anytime, anywhere, also means that ultimately it can be hard to disconnect. Then again, I'm in sales and I much prefer the ability to connect wherever I am than having to be stuck in the office.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a true sales enablement function in place to connect product, sales, account management, and marketing in a meaningful way. Right now there's a huge disconnect in decisions being pushed down from the top that have no real impact on day to day interactions with prospects/members.

6. "A great place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at CEB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- team culture/environment
    - constant learning/training opportunities
    - innovative

Cons

- need to consolidate offerings
    - become more responsive to market competition

"CEB is a mixed bag"

Former Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at CEB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very smart people, a good work/life balance and great sales reward trips. The Intellectually curious will find CEB a good organisation to join.

Cons

Far too much employee turnover, poor management, no career path or long term strategic direction. Lack of professionalism in Sydney office was disappointing. At times, it felt like a Uni class.

Advice to Management

Have a more long term vision. The obsession with quarterly performance to keep the analysts happy is demoralising to most of the staff.

"Once a good company"

Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Lisbon (Portugal)
    Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Lisbon (Portugal)

Pros

The company is a reference in assessment tools and methodologies, with structured procedures.
    Great school, excellent for trainees and graduates with little experience.

Cons

Very centralized leadership and no regard for the management team inputs.
    The best people tend to move on, due to the lack of opportunities and the outdated management style.
    There is no room for innovation or improvement. The company has stopped in time, with no marketing vision and no comprehension of what the clients want (marketing is restricted to the translation of marketing materials sent from the headquarters).
    Innovation is associated with lack of credibility – a very dated and musty vision, which explains the difficulties the business is facing.
    There is no comprehension of who the competitors are and what they do, but still SHL Pt has a sense of superiority towards their competitors which is no longer realistic

Advice to Management

Time to change management policies and renew leadership!

"Current"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Thames Ditton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Thames Ditton, England (UK)

Pros

Interesting market and vision for the future

Cons

Poor senior leadership, lack of credible long term business plan or ability to execute on short and medium term goals

10. "Great culture, great clients, great role"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at CEB full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

CEB in EMEA is a fast growth business. The best thing about my job is that I get to speak to genuine senior level executives at some of the world's biggest companies. The opportunity to learn and develop in that environment has helped me develop my skills and business acumen over the 5+ years I have been in the company. CEB is very feedback heavy, which means you are constantly learning and developing from the people around you. Finally, it is a growth focused part of the business so it is a meritocracy and you are well rewarded for high performance (both in terms of compensation, recognition and other incentives)

Cons

CEB is still a relatively young company, growing quickly and there are naturally some things to learn still. A large amount of responsibility is placed on fairly lean teams, so many commercial roles are highly complex and demanding. They continue to develop their approach to talent development and the move from this programme into frontline positions can be rocky. Not a con for me, but can be for some - they have high performance expectations, so this is a company for people that are ambitious to develop and grow quickly and take on the work, complexity and responsibility that comes with that.

Advice to Management

Think about non-compensation ways to engage and build high-potentials

"Please check about your team before joining"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Pros

leave policy, Can learn a lot if you join the quant world,

Cons

No career Path for India Office, No vision for India office, Glass ceiling after a point, HR can be unethical.