CERN Doctoral Student Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 7 reviews

3.3
CERN CEO Fabiola Gianotti
Fabiola Gianotti
  1. "Exciting place, a bit slow"

Current Employee - Doctoral Student

I have been working at CERN full-time

Pros

Good networking possibilities, filled with smart people and interesting projects

Cons

Not the best place for IT/CS student/expert to come to.

CERN2019-04-29
  2. "A laboratory that pursues excellence in research"

I worked at CERN full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Plenty of resources available to develop your research. Possibility of learning from world-leading experts. Excellent atmosphere, international, and somehow between academy and industry.

Cons

The difficulty finding accommodation and the high prices in the area can be a problem for doctoral students.

CERN2017-09-18
  3. "Doctoral student programme review"

I worked at CERN for more than 4 years

Pros

- International recognition - Developing skills in many fields - Interacting with experts - Great benefits

Cons

- Depending on your research field you may find it difficult to find a job outside CERN - Everyone is very busy and finding a slot to discuss with someone can be a challenge

Advice to Management

- Stop training experts which cannot find a job after completion of the doctoral student programme, unless you are ready to absorb them in your workforce - More career development training would be in order - Keep up the godd job

CERN2017-02-07

"Amazing place to work"

I worked at CERN

Pros

Amazing experience. You have the opportunity to work in a multicultural environment interacting on a daily basis with world-class experts in your field of study.

Cons

Very expensive area, the living cost is extremely high compared to other European cities. It is nearly impossible to get a permanent staff contract.

CERN2016-04-26

May 13, 2016

Thank you very much for your review. Diversity is one of CERN's core values and we are very pleased to hear that you have enjoyed working in such a multicultural environment. We recognise that Geneva and its neighbouring areas are quite expensive which is why we have aligned our remunerations ...

5. "Doctoral Student"

Current Employee - Doctoral Student in Geneva

I have been working at CERN full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Exciting and flexible work environment. Cutting-edge world class research going on at every corner. Excellent Supervision. Excellent pay.

Cons

Being surrounded by some of the world most reputable scientist, you might feel a little stupid at times, but it's part of the learning process and you will better yourself as a result.

CERN2015-08-02

August 6, 2015

We are grateful of your supportive review and we highly appreciate the time you took to share your positive outlook for CERN on Glassdoor.

6. "big and busy"

I worked at CERN for more than 4 years

Pros

- very international - a lot of freedom - CERN is a big organization, which is great for networking and meeting many people - the doctoral student salary is pretty good (3600 CHF/month) compared to the worldwide average

Cons

- CERN is not great with gay rights/visibility or diversity, even though there is a diversity office and an ombudsman; I felt these things were still in progress - burocratic - easy to get "lost" in the sea of people and tasks, having a good manager/project leader is really a must (and might not be easy to find)

CERN2015-05-20

July 6, 2015

Thank you very much for leaving a comment on CERN as an employer and for acknowledging that issues related to diversity are on their way to improve at our Organization. We would be interested to know about your personal experience to help us improve even further. So if you are interested ...

7. "Cutting edge technology on a large scale"

Current Employee - Doctoral Student in Geneva

I have been working at CERN full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

- sometimes may work on really unique research subjects - great region: mountains, lakea and se not too far - many smart people around . many diiferent contract types - a lot of flexibility

Cons

- a lot depends on your supervisor - the subject may be only related to CERN, thus experience may have no value outside

CERN2012-12-17