CET Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "City of Opa-locka Police Department Community Empowerment Team Program Coordinator"

Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Opa-locka, FL
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Opa-locka, FL

I worked at CET full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Assist with the reduction of Crime. Implementing programs within the community to improve the lifestyle of the residents i.e., Schools, organizations, churches, etc..

Cons

Trying to get some parents, students and other community agencies to participate.

Advice to Management

First of all management should allow the professionals to function without the unnecessary interference. and to fully support the program

2. "Excellent Employer with Excellent Mission"

Current Employee - Instructor/Accreditation Coordinator in Watsonville, CA
    Current Employee - Instructor/Accreditation Coordinator in Watsonville, CA

I have been working at CET part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Since 1998, I have been fortunate to be part of the CET Watsonville educational/administrative community in capacities that have ranged from full time basic skills instruction to part-time coordination of the campus’s accreditation process. Although I have worked in other nonprofits and have taught in a variety of contexts— from community colleges to research universities—what has brought me back to CET Watsonville time and time again is its genuine commitment to serving those most in need and hardest to serve: students who are truly eager to change their lives but who lack every imaginable academic, personal and financial resource.

Cons

Other educational institutions and nonprofits may offer larger salaries and fancier perks. However, I have always found that my supervisors and my coworkers at CET more than make up for any remunerative limitations. All the way from the CEO—a remarkable woman who has dedicated herself to the CET mission for five decades—to employees at every campus, we have a sincere sense of community: a sense of working jointly toward a meaningful social justice goal. With an eye on the ‘bigger picture,’ we fill in for each other when needed and, while the needs of each student come first (as they should), I have always felt valued as a worker and as a human being. That said, salaries and benefits are more than fair for CET personnel—just as tuition, supportive services and resources offered to students are beyond what could be expected from a relatively small nonprofit organization.

Advice to Management

Anyone seeking a personally and socially fulfilling career in nonprofit education—teaching basic or vocational skills, performing different administrative and clerical duties, etc.—should look into CET. Aside from Watsonville campus, our organization has several other campuses throughout California, in Texas, and beyond. My only advice to CET Management would be to develop more campuses and programs so that additional students may be helped in the next fifty years.

"Worst company to work for"

Former Employee - Instructor in Watsonville, CA
    Former Employee - Instructor in Watsonville, CA

I worked at CET full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros are the students and weekends off. You don't get any vacation, other than one week of winter break.

Cons

CET Watsonville is not a cheerful place to work at. No air conditioner or heaters. No textbooks. Director doesn't think they're necessary. Internet network is extremely slow and freezes constantly. One of the instructors lacks professionalism and thinks she runs the building. Corporate office and schools work against each other. Too many furloughs. Lack of training and support. Trainings are a waste. And if you plan on taking time off, good luck!

Advice to Management

Improve, improve, improve, and provide effective training and support for employees. Stop ripping off students.

4. "Great Commpany"

Current Employee - Medical Insurance Billing Instructor and Advisor in Durham, NC

I have been working at CET (Less than a year)

Pros

Training opportunities, travel opportunities, benefits okay

Cons

Instructors should have salary pay, and better benefits

"Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Jose, CA

I worked at CET (More than 10 years)

Pros

The employees are friendly and I really enjoyed working with a verity of clients.

Cons

Worked at the human resources department and was very fast pase

"Going Down Hill"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Co-workers and helping the students

Cons

Th worst! No raises, constantly having to take furlough because the "corporation is experiencing financial issues". Then no support from management, rampant cronyism, overall just a toxic place to work.

Advice to Management

Seriously think about succession planning for the LMT, they have no idea how to run a business and have stayed past their usefulness. The place is already imploding, layoff's, retirements, and purging of all the top talent.

"FAO"

Current Employee - FAO in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - FAO in San Jose, CA

Pros

my former supervisors were very compassionate for the over all well being of the organization

Cons

no bonus, raises, management does not take the time to reward a job well done

Advice to Management

visit your sites more often, give more help to sites

"Be Honest!!!!!!"

Current Employee - Instructor in Watsonville, CA
    Current Employee - Instructor in Watsonville, CA

I have been working at CET full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Watsonville CET is a small center, but the staff work together amazingly to make it the BEST center. It is not easy to work at CET, and there are very few who have what it takes to become a dynamic part of our team. Our mission is the career success of anyone who walks through our doors. We do everything possible to make this happen, and we take that responsibility seriously!!! So, our job may be challenging, but the rewards in what we do are tremendous.

Cons

As stated before, working at CET is very challenging. I would say that the cons would be working with disgruntled staff that COULD NOT handle the huge responsibility of working at CET, and dragged down the morale of staff that CAN with constant complaining instead of offering solutions. Furthermore, after leaving CET, the aforementioned ex-staff take the time they should have been using to be more productive at CET to post negative comments about CET and the Director. Another negative that I want to share on the corporate level are the 401k matching deletion, the non-bonus holidays, and years without raises (no matter how hard we work!)

Advice to Management

Note to Director: work to be more aware of negative staff behavior. No one needs to deal with that here. Hire those who can handle the pressure of being here, who really care about our mission and the people we serve. Watch out for selfish, self-serving individuals who do not care to be part of a team, but use CET to further their own goals. It does not matter if staff love or like you, what does matter is that they are loyal to CET and our mission. Do not allow people to work at CET if they are here for just a paycheck—lazy, complaintive, unwilling to grow, and worst of all spending valuable time spreading damaging and negative gossip. You owe it to your loyal team to be aware of this.

"Center for Employment Training"

Current Employee - Center Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Center Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CET (More than a year)

Pros

The organization has a great mission and a program model that can help individuals get from poverty to self sufficiency. You can really see the value of the work you do each day.

Cons

The corporate level needs assistance with how to operate and multi-campus program and has limited resources for centers to operate competitively and efficiently. CET also needs to diversify funding by adding major gift campaigns, grants and endowment funding for future financial needs.

"good"

Current Employee - Generlist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Generlist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at CET full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

office culture, flexibility, leadership, positive

Cons

growth potential, promotions, benefits, pto