CET Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
CET President and CEO Hermelinda Sapien
Hermelinda Sapien

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "City of Opa-locka Police Department Community Empowerment Team Program Coordinator"

Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Opa-locka, FL
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Opa-locka, FL

I worked at CET full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Assist with the reduction of Crime. Implementing programs within the community to improve the lifestyle of the residents i.e., Schools, organizations, churches, etc..

Cons

Trying to get some parents, students and other community agencies to participate.

Advice to Management

First of all management should allow the professionals to function without the unnecessary interference. and to fully support the program

2. "Ok"

Former Employee - Trainee
    Former Employee - Trainee

I worked at CET (Less than a year)

Pros

Good vibes and staff

Cons

To much load on the people

3. "Inappropriate behavior"

I worked at CET full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive impact on the at-risk community

Cons

unprofessional and horrible benefits package

Advice to Management

Work to maintain a professional environment. Don't date staff

4. "Excellent Employer with Excellent Mission"

Current Employee - Instructor/Accreditation Coordinator in Watsonville, CA
    Current Employee - Instructor/Accreditation Coordinator in Watsonville, CA

I have been working at CET part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Since 1998, I have been fortunate to be part of the CET Watsonville educational/administrative community in capacities that have ranged from full time basic skills instruction to part-time coordination of the campus’s accreditation process. Although I have worked in other nonprofits and have taught in a variety of contexts— from community colleges to research universities—what has brought me back to CET Watsonville time and time again is its genuine commitment to serving those most in need and hardest to serve: students who are truly eager to change their lives but who lack every imaginable academic, personal and financial resource.

Cons

Other educational institutions and nonprofits may offer larger salaries and fancier perks. However, I have always found that my supervisors and my coworkers at CET more than make up for any remunerative limitations. All the way from the CEO—a remarkable woman who has dedicated herself to the CET mission for five decades—to employees at every campus, we have a sincere sense of community: a sense of working jointly toward a meaningful social justice goal. With an eye on the ‘bigger picture,’ we fill in for each other when needed and, while the needs of each student come first (as they should), I have always felt valued as a worker and as a human being. That said, salaries and benefits are more than fair for CET personnel—just as tuition, supportive services and resources offered to students are beyond what could be expected from a relatively small nonprofit organization.

Advice to Management

Anyone seeking a personally and socially fulfilling career in nonprofit education—teaching basic or vocational skills, performing different administrative and clerical duties, etc.—should look into CET. Aside from Watsonville campus, our organization has several other campuses throughout California, in Texas, and beyond. My only advice to CET Management would be to develop more campuses and programs so that additional students may be helped in the next fifty years.

"Worst company to work for"

Former Employee - Instructor in Watsonville, CA
    Former Employee - Instructor in Watsonville, CA

I worked at CET full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros are the students and weekends off. You don't get any vacation, other than one week of winter break.

Cons

CET Watsonville is not a cheerful place to work at. No air conditioner or heaters. No textbooks. Director doesn't think they're necessary. Internet network is extremely slow and freezes constantly. One of the instructors lacks professionalism and thinks she runs the building. Corporate office and schools work against each other. Too many furloughs. Lack of training and support. Trainings are a waste. And if you plan on taking time off, good luck!

Advice to Management

Improve, improve, improve, and provide effective training and support for employees. Stop ripping off students.

"Room for improvement"

I have been working at CET full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fills an educational need for communities.

Cons

Top down - lack of support.

Advice to Management

Staff appropriately for expectations and improve follow through.

7. "Great Commpany"

Current Employee - Medical Insurance Billing Instructor and Advisor in Durham, NC

I have been working at CET (Less than a year)

Pros

Training opportunities, travel opportunities, benefits okay

Cons

Instructors should have salary pay, and better benefits

"CET? REALLY???"

Pros

The CET mission to train or re-train people in skills that will be helpful to the goal to become gainfully employed. It is important work and most of the staff and instructors were serious about it.

Cons

Company is run from home office in California with very little turnover at the top. No new lifeblood and not many new ideas get used because of the "this is how I did it" mentality that seems to permeate their structure.There were some instructors who used CET to build their own kingdoms and on occasion, there were accusations of staff and students having inappropriate relationships.

Advice to Management

Vet your potential employees more efficiently...ESPECIALLY your instructors.

"Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Jose, CA

I worked at CET (More than 10 years)

Pros

The employees are friendly and I really enjoyed working with a verity of clients.

Cons

Worked at the human resources department and was very fast pase

"Going Down Hill"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Co-workers and helping the students

Cons

Th worst! No raises, constantly having to take furlough because the "corporation is experiencing financial issues". Then no support from management, rampant cronyism, overall just a toxic place to work.

Advice to Management

Seriously think about succession planning for the LMT, they have no idea how to run a business and have stayed past their usefulness. The place is already imploding, layoff's, retirements, and purging of all the top talent.