CG Life Reviews | Glassdoor

CG Life Reviews

4.1
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Amazing Opportunity for Proactive Individuals"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at CG Life full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure: It's a small company which gives you access to many different facets of the business. You get to work with clients across a broad range of industry segments, and get front row seats to the innovation happening in the industry. There's flexibility, and it allows for you to work on many different projects, based on your initiative.

Culture: There are some great people in the organization. The culture is great - a key being that it's a small organization and you truly have the opportunity to bring energy and have a major impact on the culture. A nice cultural aspect - maybe outside of your basic 'positioning' strategy within an organization, you don't have to worry much about politics or drama. It's not as cutthroat as other companies, and people are trying to help each other. People are friends/friendly outside of work. Trips to clients/conferences can be really fun. Just make sure to include Murad.

Mentorship: It's not just going to come to you, but it's there if you want it, including the very entrepreneurial founders who are willing to mentor you if you show the initiative. Upper management like Steve, Ken and Todd are extremely helpful and want you to succeed. But you can't just expect it to come to you - have a specific idea of what support you want, what skills you want to build, and then just take the initiative.

Industry: This company is in a fast-growth industry, which means you have access to some really interesting business situations, even beyond marketing. Given the reputation and niche expertise that CG has built in the industry, you find yourself in the room with CEOs and CMOs at times, discussing the challenges that they're facing. Great exposure for a young professional.

Cons

Structure: It's not extremely structured, which may be an issue for some people. But it's actually a real advantage for others. This is a classic growing pain situation though, and I'm sure this has evolved since I left and would continue to evolve.

Compensation: Kind of goes without saying, but at a small organization you won't make as much as you would at a giant firm. The tradeoff is the exposure and responsibility you get as an entry level. There's significant upside if you reach upper management, where the profit sharing happens.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work; doing big things with the new building and initiatives. The real challenge is going to be maintaining a culture and atmosphere of innovation and creativity, as you continue to grow and shift emphasis to process and the bottom line. It's key to measure employees on the metrics that matter most to the company's strategy - people's behaviors will always reflect the metrics that they're measured on. I have no doubts that you'll successfully grow the company and maintain the awesome culture that you've built.

Jul 18, 2016 – COO

Thanks for the thorough review! Our culture — dependent upon supporting and helping each other and making sure everyone has a voice — is what enables us to do the great work for our clients. We're... More

2. "AE"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at CG Life full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome people, Erik (CEO) is amazing. Great learning opportunity.

Cons

Small accounts so hard to get specialized

3. "Great Place"

Pros

Great work atmosphere! People there are very friendly and welcoming. Collaboration is encouraged and employees are treated well.

Cons

Everything was great! No comment.

Jul 18, 2016 – COO

Wow! Thanks for the kind words.

"Awesome place to work if you're entrepreneurial and enthusiastic"

I have been working at CG Life full-time

Pros

Great people to work with, super supportive. Room to grow and pursue your interests. Melting pot of many skillsets, which enables you to learn them all.

Cons

CG wouldn't be a good fit for someone who needs clear instruction and templates to follow; it's fast-paced and it requires ample common sense. That being said, there's always help and support if you need to ask more questions. It's also a smallish company, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just creates a certain experience.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Our team is in the minority of poeple globally who like to go to work!

May 4, 2016 – COO

Having you here makes us better! We love working with you and hope you continue to speak up and ask questions and use all our resources as you grow professionally.

5. "Intern Review"

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at CG Life as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is really friendly, They seem to have a very organized process and understanding of what's going on, Very organized compared to other agencies I've been at, Give great opportunities for experience in PR, Account Management, or whatever you're looking to get involved in!

Cons

You may have to seek out work and step up to get involved in projects that you'd like to, but that's just taking initiative.

May 4, 2016 – COO

Providing our employees, at all levels, a well-rounded experience and fostering a greater knowledge of truly integrated marketing communications allows us to provide even better service to our... More

"Intern"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at CG Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team, with an easy going, friendly culture that loves team building activities.

Everyone is passionate about the work that they do.

Cons

They're not too concerned with getting interns up to speed with current projects, and occasionally task you with cliche intern work that's mindless, and doesn't require any creative, or critical thinking skilss.

Advice to Management

Be present more, and get to know your employees better.

Dec 21, 2015 – COO

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and we're happy to hear you had a good time with us! We know we need to improve our training & on-boarding process, and it's one of... More

7. "Former Employee"

Former Employee - Contract Creative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Contract Creative in Chicago, IL

I worked at CG Life full-time

Pros

They have beer and the random leftover food from meetings. Thats it! DO NOT WORK HERE!

Cons

The business sucks. Jeff is the only nice guy in the Chicago office because he is never there. The rest of management (Murad & Steve), creative team and account directors are back stabbers. The digital team uses templates they buy from stock websites. Not original work! All recycled from jobs that did not sell.

Advice to Management

You will never be a true agency because of the bad habits you are passing on to your employees. Be honest with your employees. Do not say one thing and do another. Let the turtles free! Animal control would have a field day!

Dec 21, 2015 – COO

We’re glad you at least enjoyed the free beer and food! We also agree — Jeff is a nice guy. In all seriousness, while your stay with Chempetitive Group didn’t end the way anyone had hoped, we remain... More

"Good place to start, hard to make a career"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at CG Life as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly, fun culture in a casual atmosphere. It's relatively easy to leave the job at work. Flexible work environment.

Cons

Creative work for a risk averse clientele can be demotivating. Management preaches "we're a family" but struggles to live up to its ideals. Difficult to advance.

Advice to Management

Know what kind of company you want to be and don't be afraid to be honest with your employees.

9. "Chempetitive is a wonderful place to work!"

Former Contractor - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Contractor - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at CG Life as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Jeff, Murad and Steve create an environment where you can ask questions, get constructive feedback and move forward. They empower account managers and creative staff to think about campaigns and ask the tough questions.

Cons

There is a lot of work to do! But the great environment keeps it manageable. There are lots of opportunities for fun too.

Advice to Management

Keep on rockin'!

"Hardworking organization with great people"

Current Employee - Account Director
    Current Employee - Account Director

I have been working at CG Life full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart team of people who are willing to work hard to keep clients happy. True believers in work life balance but without sacrificing the quality of work being provided. Youthful positive attitude that goes from the top down and the bottom up.

Cons

Relatively small organization so growth opportunity is not limitless.

Advice to Management

Stay true to your core and keep doing it. Best place I've ever worked.