CGI Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
CGI Communications CEO Bob Bartosiewicz
Bob Bartosiewicz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • If you fit the mold of hard-work this could be home to you too (in 19 reviews)

• I moved up from a Sales Associate in my first year at CGI to a Sales Executive (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Yes its going to be hard work most of the time, that's why its called "WORK" and they expect you to work while you're here (in 9 reviews)

• Some have felt that it creates pressure to perform or hinders work life balance (in 4 reviews)

1. "3 years and counting"

Current Employee - Client Development Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working at CGI for over three years. I have worked in Marketing, Sales, NEXT! And now CDM! How many people can say that in 3 years they've worked in 4 departments and learning so much along the way? I've worked at companies where you are stuck. Not at CGI. I love working here, if you work hard, and care about what you do it's simple, you will go far here. Your efforts will be rewarded, and you will benefit. Management are skilled and truly care about their employees. Our CEO cares deeply about Rochester and the company itself, full of passion and transparency. He welcomes ideas and growth. Working in NEXT! We care about our clients and always think of new strategies to better our services. We are fearless. I have worked at several reputable companies throughout my years (I'm 32!) and I can safely say no company is as innovative as ours. We welcome ideas, feedback, growth, change. Our customer service department is thinking of new concepts to achieve ultimate client satisfaction. It's really cool to work somewhere where you can truly grow with the company. We are not stagnant, we evolve for bigger, for better. CGI has given me a brand new skillset. I am more independent, more educated and have learned so much. Anyone who has ever complained negatively about CGI doesn't not fully understand the mindset of what we do.

Cons

Times can be grueling, sure. It's not all rainbows and butterflies. Have there been times where I collapse as soon as I hit home? Sure, of course. I'm human. Nothing's perfect. But hard work pays off. As long as you do your job, you're going to be fine.

Advice to Management

Keep up the new training facilities! It was something that needed to be expanded upon, and I love the new improvements! CGI is progressing and I love where we are headed. Perhaps we could even have speakers come to CGI where we could benefit and learn.

2. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company has always been a great place for sales people to earn. Over the past 10 years the company has morphed into a highly client focused culture(which includes employees) which has created awesome residual income opportunities for sales and account managers while lifting the compensation of all employees in all departments especially those who are top performers!

Cons

Leadership can be impulsive at times which can be unsettling however there are many advantages to this as well. If a somewhat intense, performance driven, mostly collaborative culture isn't your thing then you should pass but I would encourage you to find out for yourself.

Advice to Management

Truly love the direction the company is headed in!

3. "One of a kind opportunity!"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work family I have made in my many at this company is nothing that I could have ever foresee. The environment is unlike anything I've ever been around and no company can match nor replicate it. Passion and drive are not only recognized and praised by everyone, but also rewarded. This environment and the people around me who I interact with on a daily basis show me that this is the right place for me and allows me to show my passion for what I do.

I also get the support that I need to do my job but to be successful in my position and become the type of worker that I want to be known for. Upper management is very accommodating to not only myself but also to the needs of my coworkers. A lot of people always value and desire transparency from their employers but few ever actually receive it. That is certainly not the case here, transparency is evident throughout all conversations. It's a part of the culture (weekly meetings, etc.) to foster and grow success. Moreover, if you're looking for internal growth, look no further, the opportunities here are plentiful!

Cons

I can honestly say that in all my time here, there has never been a "con" or an issue that I have had that I haven't experienced elsewhere. This job is an incredible opportunity for you to showcase your talents.

I love going to work every morning.. can you say that about your job?

4. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-You 100% get out what you put in
    -Lots of opportunity for growth
    -Great people and management
    -Hard work is rewarded with Trips, Prizes, and Company wide Shoutouts
    -Free Coffee

Cons

-Sometimes Sales Executives don't do proper research making the Associate role more difficult

5. "Great Place to Jump Start a Career!!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CGI offers great opportunities to hard workers regardless of any other factors. I love this place because if you want to do something all you have to do is prove yourself. Even as a sales associate you are given the opportunity to travel to one of the outside offices which is amazing! I am very grateful to work for such an amazing company.

Cons

If you think you can just show up and get by then this is not the place for you.

Jan 23, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review! Our mission is to provide the opportunity to our employees, and hope that we establish a team that's ready and willing to take it head on... More

6. "A place to jumpstart your career - if you're driven enough"

Former Employee - Web Content Writer in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Web Content Writer in Rochester, NY

I worked at CGI Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-amazing team
    -wonderful HR department
    -fun employee activities, happy hours, etc
    -a great opportunity to learn if you're ready to dig your heels in

Cons

-upward mobility for creatives is difficult
    -a lot of red tape, difficult to make waves
    -creatives aren't valued in the same way sales are
    -low hourly with unrealistic benefits packages to match
    -kind of like a daycare for millennials

Advice to Management

Pauline and Rachel are great. Continue to listen to and work with your team and find new ways for them to grow!

"Don't believe the reviews, Scam!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rochester, NY

I worked at CGI Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

An 8-5 job if you are a sales Associate

Cons

First of all, you can't take into consideration half of the reviews because after 60 days of employment, they ask that you review them and look. They do this to the few long term employees they have as well, likely offering bonuses. After all, they write fake reviews as a business! They're pros.

This is a terrible company to work for. They lie to you from day one. They label the entry level position "sales associate" but you don't sell anything. You are a telemarketer and you bother people for a living.

They discriminate against women, and pay men more on the hour - for the same job and seniority, from start date.

They also don't tell you up front that you will be fired without hesitation if they deem that your numbers aren't amazing, and even if they are - they don't really have to have a reason. Not out of the ordinary to go in and 8 or 9 people to have been fired before the work day. And this is not a big company. Huge turnover rate.

If you aren't fired before 2 months, you will want to quit anyways. This job is miserable even though they make the atmosphere appear fun.

If you are in an outside office, be ware. They fire quickly in those offices as well and without notice. You will also have to come to Rochester for weeks to train and stay in a nasty hotel. But they make you feel special and give you the koolaid!

They fired huge loads of people the week before Christmas. They don't care about their employees nor their families.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to your new hires. Tell them that this is not a stable job and that they will be telemarketers making little money - if they get to keep their job more than a month or two.

Don't be so arrogant, Bob, it makes you look silly.

8. "Sales Career!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great experience in career for sales
    -Solid group of people training and managing

Cons

-Not all sales people are as motivated as the top ones

Dec 14, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review! We take pride in our training and hope to equip all of our employees with the knowledge needed to succeed. Unfortunately, we cannot control internal motivation. We simply... More

9. "Great people"

Pros

People were great and real family atmosphere.

Cons

Unorganized chaos and mismanagement of resources at times.

Dec 14, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to share some of your thoughts about CGI. We will consider your feedback as we continue to grow and improve.

10. "9 Years"

Current Employee - Client Development Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

One thing that I learned from my parents is to be thankful for the things I
    have, and to give thanks to those I should. Today marks 9 years with CGI
    Communications and I would like to thank you. Thank you for the opportunity to
    work for such a great company and with so many amazing people. I have had the
    privilege to be part of something wonderful here and to watch it continue to
    grow and evolve. When I first started here we were on a few floors of this
    building doing video. 9 years later we are in almost the entire building, developing the 2 buildings next door, offices in other cities, a company jet, enhancements in our video line, NEXT, an entire Web department including SEO staff, Ad Words, Social Media, Snap Nation, and so much more. It is a pretty cool thing to see and be a part of. Thank you.
    I remember 8 years ago when I had just started in CRM we had a meeting in the
    atrium for the entire company. I stood in the back towards the hallway near the
    elevators listening to Bob talk about the company, the great things we were
    going to do, and about some of the people that worked here. He then said my name and asked me to come out. I remember how surprised I was working my way through everyone, turning 10 shades of red, shyly walking out. He didn't sound mad, but I was just hoping I wasn't in trouble for something. He reached in his pocket and handed me a 100$ bill and said "good job". I think my jaw literally dropped. I had been thanked by clients before at other jobs, but never been called out at a job before by my employer. I have to admit I do not remember exactly what I had done in CRM to deserve it, but to this day I still remember that moment of being called out and thanked in front of everyone. That was the moment I knew I had done a good thing in getting a job here. Not because of the hundred dollars, don't get me wrong that was pretty awesome, but because of the appreciation I received for just doing my job well. I love that this company does this on a weekly basis. I think that the way upper management acknowledges all the hard work and accomplishments of employees in every division is so incredible. It is pretty amazing to hear week to week about people breaking records, doing/creating new things, crushing goals, and getting praises by clients. As inspiring and important as it is to have our meetings each week hearing about
    best practices, proper perspectives, new ideas, work ethics, and ways to make
    yourself grow, I don't think anything is more inspiring than listening about how
    well my coworkers are doing and what they have accomplished.
    Thank you.
    I do not know anyone who works for a company that does so much for it's
    employees. From the summer party, Christmas party, time off, early days out,
    happy hours, employee appreciation, dress down Fridays, cook offs, Easter hunts,
    Halloween for our children, days off on the company yacht, to a rooftop lounge, free parking, a company gym, company yoga classes, and so much more.
    Thank you.
    Over the years here I have faced many personal issues. I have had many many struggles with my health. Ended up in the hospital multiple times. I had the
    loss of 5 people that were very very close to me all within 14 months, including
    Jahmal Kirkwood who got me in the door here. Everyone has their personal issues
    they have to deal with, but not everyone works for a company that cares about
    them. The concern I have felt from people here over the years, the talks I have
    had, and the "slack" I have been given in time of need is something that not
    many employers would give. Thank you.
    I am really not a kiss butt type of person and I hope that is not what you got from this email.
    I am just a humble guy who is thankful to be part of something great. I wanted
    to make sure i took a moment to let the powers that be know that for whatever it
    is worth. So thank you for letting me be a small cog in the big machine that is
    CGI.

Cons

I can't keep up with everything we are doing.

Nov 15, 2017 – Recruiter

Wow. Thank YOU. This review represents everything. Everything CGI stands for, everything we hope our employees feel on a daily basis, and everything that our CEO, Bob, probably dreamt of back in... More