CGI Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
CGI Communications CEO Bob Bartosiewicz
Bob Bartosiewicz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "If you fit the mold of hard-work this could be home to you too" (in 19 reviews)

• "I moved up from a Sales Associate in my first year at CGI to a Sales Executive" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Base pay is low and benefits are average" (in 9 reviews)

• "At times, hard work can be overlooked because everyone in the company is so hard working (barely a con)" (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work with people who care!"

Current Employee - Lead Website Coordinator
    Current Employee - Lead Website Coordinator

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working for cgi for 4 years, starting in an entry level position and working my way up to a team lead. I have never worked for a company who spends so much time caring about their employees and consistently working on making their employees lives better.

-employee appreciation lunches
    -summer and Christmas parties
    -bonuses and incentives
    -surprise bagels, candy apples, donuts and even pies on thanksgiving!
    -consistently being let out early by our generous ceo!
    -production dept. got an entire week of last Christmas as a huge thank you from the ceo, which was amazing!!!
    -recognition from the president when you do a great job
    -our ceo pays for our parking!!!
    -employee lunches and team bonding activities
    -they will send you to training classes to better yourself and cover the cost!

If you show up, are ready to work hard and show the initiative to grow, this company will take care of you!

Cons

I have truly loved every moment.

Advice to Management

The digital team has two leaders that honestly care about their employees, I have always felt that they have had my back and that they have always fought for me. They both deserve recognition for how much the have improved the dept.

The presidents and Vice Presidents are very approachable and ask you to come talk to them if you have doubts or concerns, they want to hear you out and guide you in the right direction. I have never been afraid to go and chat with them to better myself and the company.

Thank you Barto for all the generosity you have shown to your employees, it has truly made my 4 years amazing.

Jul 10, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences and thoughts! It never gets old reading reviews from employees that see the opportunity that CGI provides, and seize that opportunity... More

2. "CGI is an incredible place to start your career"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started out as an intern at CGI before my senior year in College. Due to a great experience in just a 3 month stint, I returned after graduation and became a full-time sales employee. Over the past 3 years with the company, I have gone from a 21 year old college grad with ZERO sales experience, to being promoted numerous times and now making well over six figures a year. The accessibility of upper management is something that I have never seen or heard of with other organizations, and I believe that is what keeps the employees so driven. I truly look forward to coming into work every day, and a big part of that is the people and culture that make it such a great place to be. The negative reviews on this page should not be taken seriously, as the vast majority of them are written by former employees that simply did not have the work ethic or drive to keep their job.

Cons

Occasionally work with people that are less driven than myself

Dec 4, 2018 – Director of Personnel

Thank you for your feedback and isn't it crazy how time flies?! Speaking of reviews, we are a transparent company who believes that REAL and honest feedback is crucial to our growth and development... More

3. "Sales Executive"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The products are really outstanding.Reviewtube is gonna be incredible for businesses. Its funny,I have been with this company for 20 plus years. I still cant believe the energy level from the Ceo to the Sales Department, I make great money but that not what drives me.The difference we are making for my clients.

Cons

I gave the company a 4 rating because of immature employees throughout the company. To many non/caring people..

Advice to Management

Keep our motto of making a difference!!

"Great Company to Begin a Career"

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Opportunity for advancement regardless of the time you have employed
    -Good management and team leaders who have a genuine concern for their team members and employees
    -Managers are always willing to spend time with each employee to be sure that they are in full understanding of their position
    -Excellent training and communication between different departments
    -CEO will reward the company by letting them off early on Fridays for great company weeks

Cons

Advice to Management

Keep incentivizing your employees to stay with the company!

Dec 4, 2018 – Director of Personnel

Thank you for your feedback and you're right, we're a company that works hard for our clients and employees. While written reviews can be helpful, we feel that actual video testimonials from our... More

"Anonymous"

I worked at CGI Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people within the company make is a nice place to work with a solid atmosphere, very helpful, knowledgable!

Cons

The main position is sales associate, and really it should be called "glorified telemarketer." The products they sell are nothing special and really anyone can create it with a computer and a little creativity. The pay is not good either!

Nov 13, 2018 – Director of Personnel

Thank you for your feedback. We are a transparent company who believes that REAL

"The ratings you see are likely false."

Former Employee - Production in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Production in Rochester, NY

I worked at CGI Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I met some awesome people while I was working there and we're still friends to this day.

Cons

CGI is a company that has in the past (and may continue to) get paid to "improve" the ratings of companies online by having employees create new email accounts and write fake reviews. I would take the high ratings here with a grain of salt. If it sounds like a sales pitch, it very well might be.

I have so so much more to say, but I'll leave it at this: this place is toxic. I don't believe that they value their employees, and from my experience it seems like they exclusively hire students straight out of college (pay is low, and college kids are less likely to know what's ok and what isn't.)

If you have any other prospects, I'd pursue them instead.

Advice to Management

You're not the wolf of wall street, and there is no amount of self-congratulatory preening that will change that. Later days, Blanketman.

Sep 20, 2018 – Director of Personnel

We are a transparent company who believes that REAL

"I would not recommend you work here, even if you do not have a job"

I worked at CGI Communications (More than a year)

Pros

Keurig coffee variety, met some awesome people

Cons

I'd write an essay but no time for that. If you want a positive and healthy career, do not work here.

Sep 19, 2018 – Director of Personnel

We are a transparent company who believes that REAL and honest feedback is crucial to our growth and development. That being said, we've created ReviewTube, where you can watch REAL video reviews... More

"Not horrible, not perfect"

I worked at CGI Communications full-time

Pros

Great talent in production with a loose atmosphere and a lot of opportunities to develop a career path that will pay better (outside of the company). Immediate supervisors on the production team are helpful and generally empathetic to the needs and roles of their staff.

Cons

Low pay, inconsistent message and interference from higher ups who have less understanding of the products and those on the team. The supervisory team knows what is needed to keep employees, but it's usually steamrolled by someone who is more concerned with keeping payroll low.

Advice to Management

Either admit you won't pay reasonable/competitive salaries for production staff and embrace the "resume builder" concept, or start investing in the top-performing production talent

Sep 5, 2018 – Director of Personnel

"A good place to start, but needs a lot of fixing before it's a good place to stay"

Former Employee - Production Team Member
    Former Employee - Production Team Member

I worked at CGI Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great friends because you know what they say, misery loves company

A place to start, a good place for a first job. You get a sense of what work culture is like, learn time management and all basic work place skills and office courtesy. Because of this job I was able to find my second job, because I knew what I was and wasn't looking for.

Cons

There is no opportunity for growth unless you're in sales. The CEO came right out and said that to the whole production department "If you want to move up and make money here, you have to move to sales" "I can't pay you more, that's just the rules of the game"

The pay is very low and raises are slim to none. If you worked in my department you wouldn't get a raise until you've been there for 3 years. Most people I knew worked two jobs!

Time off was a nightmare. You gained very little and if you had a doctors appointment, you better plan on coming in early or staying late to make up that time.

There is no respect for the production team, I will quote the CEO again "I could freelance these nonsense jobs.. err I mean it would be nonsense to freelance these jobs" That one really stuck with people

You're a pair of hands to the clients. There is no back and forth, no face to face time and rarely phone calls to clients. If they didn't like something you did, you don't have a chance to explain to them why you did it and why it was beneficial. Management will say to just do what the client wants, because they don't want to loose them or their potential positive review.

For a creative department, it was more focused on quantity than quality. Every week we had to enter our numbers of what we have produced. Don't exceed your number too often or they will raise them and you will get in trouble when they're not met.

Advice to Management

To the general managers: Keep fighting for your employees to higher ups, it is appreciated. Stand your ground and find your voice. Hire more knowledgable people and don't rely on freelances and use the skills of your employees, that's why you have them!

To the CEO: Respect every employee. Stop looking at them like dollar signs. Stop firing people to just make an example of someone. Pay production more. Choose your words wisely in meetings. Don't make rash decisions based on your constant anger. Pay production more and respect production more. Show me the rule that says you can't pay production employees more than you are. Show me your play book.

"Don't Believe the Hype"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Rochester, NY

I worked at CGI Communications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Making friends with the other inmates

Cons

If CGI cared about their employees half as much as they cared about their reviews it would be a great company. However that is not the case.
    I worked at CGI for 7 years and over that time I was yelled at on consistent basis, had my job threatened multiple times, ridiculed and even harassed.
    A normal day would consist of daily 7:30am or 8am meetings where you would pray you didnt get called on to give your "presentation" in front of all of your peers. After the group shaming was over you would be sent to your cube to "smile and dial" .
    If you left a 5pm you would be looked at funny because management would say you're not committed.
    When you traveled for CGI, you had to stay in the worst hotels rooms that cost under $80/ night. Worst part was you were allowed to expense a whole $20 on food for the ENTIRE day!!
    They structure your pay so that you have a "higher salary" of 50k and then they put you on a draw so it impossible to make commission. But then they tell you that "no other companies in Rochester pay that"
    There is so much more I could say but I want this review to get posted so I will leave it at that.

Advice to Management

Stop being lap dogs and find a voice. You know what goes on there is not right. SAY SOMETHING ABOUT IT AND STOP BEING YES MEN!!