CGI Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CGI Communications CEO Bob Bartosiewicz
Bob Bartosiewicz

Pros
  • CGI recognizes and rewards hard work from their employees, while encouraging a positive work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• I've seen nothing but growing opportunity and a great work environment here at CGI (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Base pay is low and benefits are average (in 7 reviews)

• It's a lot of hard work and a lot of phone calls (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Invaluable Sales Training and Amazing Travel Experiences"

Pros

I worked for CGI for about 5 years 2007-2012. I started on making calls over the phone, setting appointments and quickly was promoted to an outside sales role--Sales Executive. While selling, I was given amazing training, from some of the best managers, VP's and even the CEO. Since leaving CGI, pursuing other careers in banking, advertising sales and now insurance, I can honestly say that CGI has laid the groundwork for my sales background. I was taught work ethic, people skills, how to role play, how to close, and many other sales techniques which I've now learned, have really surpassed other companies training programs. In addition to the fantastic sales training, I was given the opportunity multiple times to travel to other states to sell many programs. What an invaluable experience that was! Meeting other people and contacts from all over the US, while learning the ropes of traveling, not to mention---getting to see some amazing places (California, Texas, Maine, Florida, etc...). This is the perfect company if you are looking for great sales training, the opportunity to make great money and the option to travel. The company is really growing fast and it's a great time to get involved!

Cons

If you are not a hard worker, this is not the place for you.

CGI Communications Response

Oct 4, 2016 – Director of Personnel

Thank you so much for your review! We deeply appreciate the 5 years that you gave CGI, and are happy that you could take away some valuable skills from your time here. Traveling is definitely a great ... More

2. "Great place to work, helped launch my career."

Former Employee - Account Executive in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Rochester, NY

I worked at CGI Communications (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked at CGI for about 8 years as a Sales Account Executive. I'm currently in another sales role at a Pharmaceutical Company. The experience that I gained at CGI was second to none and I would not be in the position I am today if it weren't for CGI. I was able to break into a specialty pharmaceutical company which typically requires years and years of pharmaceutical experience. I had none. There were many more qualified candidates going for the job I have now, however, they were so impressed by my background at CGI that I was offered the job on the spot. At CGI you learn skills that you just can't learn at other companies. It has helped launch me into the successful career I have now and I am forever grateful for that. If you are willing to work hard at CGI you can gain the knowledge, experience and skills that will translate over into any industry.

Cons

You have to be willing to work hard, which is not a con at all.

"This place is a joke."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I worked at CGI Communications full-time

Pros

The friends you make in your department.

Cons

This place is a revolving door. They hire new grads for below market rate, then abuse them until they find better work and leave. The work feels meaningless due to poor end product quality, and the best part of the day was skimming through their notes system to read the newest complaints and lawsuit threats from towns and business owners.

Advice to Management

Replace higher management and save this company from itself.

5. "Great sales opportunity. Learned a ton. Now own my own business."

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Rochester, NY

I worked at CGI Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere, great people. Got to travel to almost every state in the country. I learned a ton about business (what to do and what not to do also). Learned how to sell, be creative, network.
     Overall great place for me.
    I Now own my own multi million dollar business and utilize a lot of what I learned at CGI communications.

Cons

No company is perfect. That's why 4 stars.
    The worst was not having enough money to eat while on the road (not sure if they changed that at all, probably not, cheapskates) Nothing else is bad enough to write here as a Con though.

Advice to Management

You're lucky I didn't stay longer and take all your jobs. Probably be managing you by now. :)

"Marketing Executive"

Current Employee - Marketing Executive in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Executive in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

CGI provides opportunities for driven, energetic sales people that want to make money while having stability provided by a strong support system. Being surrounded by persistent, smart, vibrant people inspires growth both individually and collectively. CGI recognizes and rewards hard work from their employees, while encouraging a positive work/life balance. I have grown both personally and professionally, thanks to my 10+ years spent at CGI.

Cons

In a growing company there can be a lot of changes, therefore you have to be willing to adapt and/or change positions based on the company's needs.

"Meh company"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rochester, NY

I worked at CGI Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Emily is fantastic at her job and is great at training. The best part about this company is the people that you will be working with and a great work environment.

Cons

Where to begin, they will tell you it is not cold calling but that is exactly what it is. Company is all politics so if you have a good relationship with upper management you will be fine and if not then good luck. Depending on the executive you get placed with will be how well you do as an associate. The CEO likes to brag about his money and that is something you will notice as soon as you meet the man.

Advice to Management

Training is excellent keep it up!

8. "A great place to build a career"

Current Employee - Client Development Manager in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Client Development Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working at CGI Communications for 3 years now, and much like any job, there are ebbs and flows. One of the main reasons I continue to work for this company, is no matter what, if you try hard enough and push yourself, you really can achieve anything. I started out as a sales associate, working my way from the bottom. That position helped be create a tough chin, and learned to take defeat and turn it into a positive. I then was able to branch out into 2 other positions in the company. Why? Because I wanted to. They want people who want to be great, and that is one of the most admirable reasons I am still here. We have people who have been with this company 10+ years, and they STILL strive to be great. No one settles for anything less. It really does bring out the best in you, if you let it. EVERYONE in this company is always willing to help. Whether it is with training, trying to move up in the company, or even just a refresher. It is a very upbeat, positive working environment. More than anything, they give you the ability to be creative, and do things that can help drive the company to new heights. I myself am proof, as they have given me the ability to travel around the country, doing my job and meeting with clients, while being able to see everything I have ever wanted to.

Cons

The truth is, it's not for everyone. No job really is. The only con, if you can consider it one, is you will be pushed harder than any other job. Success is a must! But that is with anything in life.

Advice to Management

Honestly, never change the mindset we have. We strive to be great and nothing less. In the end, you will feel like a winner

9. "Best place to work hands down!"

Former Employee - Account Executive - MONEY MAKER in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive - MONEY MAKER in Rochester, NY

I worked at CGI Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best parts of CGI is the leadership! I have worked for several employers, and never had the CEO meet with the staff on even a monthly or quarterly basis. Bob shows his passion for driving CGI to being the best company not just through technology, customer service, but its people! I left in 2014 for a personal/family reason, but am glad to say that as of 1/9/17 I'm back, and never been happier! This is my family, and if your looking for a place like no other look no further. Don't listen to the haters, and people that couldn't stand the fire and passion of this company. You can't build wealth like CGI does for its dedicated employees. Plus the travel isn't half bad! If you like meeting new people, and taking on a challenge then CGI is for you; on the flip-side if your looking for a easy no energy environment then keep looking!

Cons

So I'm a little challenged here, as I love everything CGI provides me & my family. I'll be real with you; you'll find yourself working longer than normal hours to get the results you desire, but I promise if you do the hard-work that others won't BIG rewards await you!

Advice to Management

Keep driving CGI to the stratosphere!!

10. "7yrs. at CGI"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I moved up from a Sales Associate in my first year at CGI to a Sales Executive.

This company has helped me to purchase a home... and look at the future as a gateway to prosper.

The training and mentorship is here and apparent! Streamline and force your own future, put in the diligence, and time needed... LEARN, and EARN your craft and position. You will not be disappointed.

I've worked at CGI going on 7yrs. now, and can honestly say: I've met some of the best, most diligent, learned, accomplished, and accommodating professionals I could hope to meet.

Bob Barto - The CEO, Vice Presidents, and Management, know your name, you are not a number and they are vested in your cause.

I have, what I acknowledge as, a very unique opportunity to build a future, with a career rather than a job, and WORK WITH our superiors & Team.

Welcome to OUR Team...

Cons

Can't stress enough, you must be self-driven.
    We will facilitate and keep the fire burning, but bring the fuel.

11. "Producer"

Current Employee - Producer in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Producer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is great along with the people you'll work with. Your work is recognized and people are rewarded accordingly. You are constantly being motivated to do better and strive for better. I have been at the company almost two years now. I was promoted after four months and have received two raises since then. The people, environment, and enjoying the work I do really make me love working here.

Cons

I don't really have any cons to say about working here. Sometimes I get upset about how much money I make, especially when I hear weekly how great the company is doing, but I have received a few raises and will continue to do so and be rewarded for my hard work.