CGI Communications 148 Reviews | Glassdoor

CGI Communications Reviews

Updated March 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Your hard work certainly does not go unnoticed by superiors and if you work hard enough, the CEO will give you that recognition directly (in 15 reviews)

• I've seen nothing but growing opportunity and a great work environment here at CGI (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Base pay is low and benefits are average (in 7 reviews)

• It's a lot of hard work and a lot of phone calls (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great Growth Potential"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Competitive Salary
    -Unbeatable Culture
    -Great Managerial Support and Training
    -Reward systems continue to motivate employees while providing gains to both the company and employee both monetarily and as an overall employee

-As someone who started as a sales associate at a later age than the norm I had more experience to compare this company to. The amount of growth that has occurred in my 3 years is why I can't imagine working somewhere else. That growth does not only refer to my salary although I have nearly tripled what I started at in 3 short years, I am referring to the growth that has happened as a professional and a person that was facilitated by management. The leadership here provides you with the support to grow and the ability to make you aware of the changes that need to be made in a positive way. This is something that stems from the fact that employees are truly valued here which unfortunately is very uncommon today.

Cons

I have no complaints about the company

2. "Great time to get into CGI"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I started at CGI well over a decade ago, left for a while, and was welcomed back about 3 years ago. If you have the opportunity to come into this company, take it! There is no doubt that CGI is positioned perfectly for growth. The product lines, customer focus, and sales compensation have never been better. For this past month, my commission check will be 5 figures. That's after taxes! They recently set up a commission structure for renewing clients that grows year after year. It's truly a sales career. The opportunities here are real, as long as you are willing to work hard,

Cons

The healthcare is a bit pricey, but honestly, I don't know if that's the same wherever you go.

3. "Employee Appreciation and Company Culture"

Current Employee - Producer
    Current Employee - Producer

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They take care of their employees well with several perks. From going out on the CEO's yacht for day, to the great holiday and summer parties, regular employee appreciation days, and an involved CEO, the company shows in several ways that the employees here are appreciated outside of solely monetary means. The company also is continually looking to grow and push their employees to where they want to go. If you express a desire to change departments, pursue new ideas or help a young department grow, the company advocates for you and helps you get there. I've never been told an idea I had or a direction I wanted to go within the company was dumb or simply not going to happen. They've always taken things to try to find a way to get a win-win situation for both myself and the company. Lastly, the company and senior management are continually helping to build up the culture in the company. It's a regular and daily occurrence for upper level management to speak positivity and build the employees up to encourage them to be the best they can be.

Cons

There are not a ton of cons for working here, but every company always has ways it can improve.

5. "Pilot"

Current Employee - Pilot
    Current Employee - Pilot

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A growth orientated company that values its employees, rewards loyalty and hard work, and creates a positive work environment.

Cons

None that I can see.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

6. "Director of Aviation"

Current Employee - Director of Aviation in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Director of Aviation in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a forward thinking company with great opportunities for growth. The employees are valued, listened to, and rewarded. Loyalty and long term employment are the norm.

Cons

None yet. As a new employee, the experience has been positive and as expected. I will update with new information as it presents itself.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing (in new and imaginative ways)!

"Plenty of Opportunity"

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Throughout my 22 months at CGI, I have always been met with energy, enthusiasm, and support.

There weren’t any production jobs available so I filled out an application for the NEXT Account Associate Position.

Less than a day later I got a call from the HR rep who saw that I had a degree in Film Studies and asked me if I wanted to interview for an unlisted job as a Production Assistant instead. I jumped at the chance, had my phone interview, came in to interview, and was offered the position less than a week later.

I worked as a Production Assistant for around 2 months before I approached my boss about the possibility of becoming a Scriptwriter, which was for me, the dream job. Her reaction was nothing but positive and she encouraged me to go for it, and even went so far to even speak up on my behalf.

I had a fantastic meeting with the Managing Writer, but sadly there weren’t any open positions at the time. The Managing Writer took it upon himself to speak to another department leader who was looking to hire a web content writer. I applied for that job and was hired only 2 weeks after first mentioning any of this to my boss.

Shortly after, the art department I was apart of got new leadership. During that time I tried to look for ways to further my position, and our product as a whole, and was again, always meet with support, even if an idea I had wasn’t quite there yet.

After being a Web Writer for a year I was made aware of new positions opening up on the script writing team. My then bosses expressed zero hesitation before they excitedly encouraged me to apply for the position.

With every leader I’ve interacted with at CGI, they have not only been supportive, but also an advocate for the success of others, going far beyond any expectation I had of them because they genuinely cared.

The culture here is unique and special, and I’m grateful for the privilege of getting to work here and for all of the opportunity I have been given.

Cons

As an employee, make sure you are speaking up. Good work will always get noticed, but it never hurts to put yourself out there and let your managers know where you want to end up.

8. "Alright"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rochester, NY

I worked at CGI Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people. Relaxed atmosphere. Can make a lot of money if you're good

Cons

Management treats you like a number. Revolving door.

Advice to Management

Give people the resources they need to succeed.

9. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They care about employees. CEO knows everyone by name. Great benefits.

Cons

Most of the company is smarter then me.

Advice to Management

None

Jan 26, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review, and don’t sell yourself short!

"Ego-Driven, Toxic Work Environment"

I worked at CGI Communications full-time

Pros

I really enjoyed the people that I worked with closely.

Cons

This company is a revolving door. Most employees spend a year or two here then move on to bigger and better things. A majority of the people that work here are hired straight out of college, seeing as they're the only ones willing to accept the extremely low pay. They don't see the value in paying more money to hire experienced talent and the company severely suffers from it.

The CEO tries to present this illusion that he treats his employees well by feeding them once a month and buying a company yacht, which if you've ever been on it, is just a glorified frat party. Yet none of these "perks" make up for the amount of crap you deal with on a day-to-day basis as an employee. My entire department was told on numerous occasions that we were replaceable, that we'd never make more money there. Management refused to purchase new equipment when it was seriously affecting our ability to do our jobs proficiently. And when it was finally decided that we would be getting new computers, we ended up with refurbished ones that were 7 years old. I worked countless hours of unpaid overtime. The benefits were awful. The CEO screamed at his employees in a sad attempt to boost morale... The list goes on.

Advice to Management

If you want to do nice things for your employees, be modest about it. Your employees go above and beyond for you, and the perks of the job should be a thank you for all their hard work. Don't hold it over their heads. Make your employees feel valued. Also, the screaming isn't constructive.

Jan 26, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are sorry that you feel negatively towards CGI’s pay structure. We have some employees that work with us for a very short time, while others ... More

"Not the worst telemarketing job"

Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at CGI Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits
    Good people
    Nice office downtown
    Young employees
    Company paid trips to HQ in Rochester NY
    Free coffee
    Not too strict on call logs

Cons

Telemarketing
    Not 100% cold calling but it comes down to it at the end of the day
    No change in routine

Jan 26, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review. While a number of our employees do spend time building relationships over the telephone, we do not identify as a “telemarketing” company. We work with hundreds of ... More