CGI Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

CGI Communications Reviews

Updated August 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • CGI recognizes and rewards hard work from their employees, while encouraging a positive work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• I've seen nothing but growing opportunity and a great work environment here at CGI (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Base pay is low and benefits are average (in 7 reviews)

• It's a lot of hard work and a lot of phone calls (in 8 reviews)

"Not the worst telemarketing job"

Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at CGI Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits
    Good people
    Nice office downtown
    Young employees
    Company paid trips to HQ in Rochester NY
    Free coffee
    Not too strict on call logs

Cons

Telemarketing
    Not 100% cold calling but it comes down to it at the end of the day
    No change in routine

Jan 26, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review. While a number of our employees do spend time building relationships over the telephone, we do not identify as a “telemarketing” company. We work with hundreds of... More

"Ego-Driven, Toxic Work Environment"

I worked at CGI Communications full-time

Pros

I really enjoyed the people that I worked with closely.

Cons

This company is a revolving door. Most employees spend a year or two here then move on to bigger and better things. A majority of the people that work here are hired straight out of college, seeing as they're the only ones willing to accept the extremely low pay. They don't see the value in paying more money to hire experienced talent and the company severely suffers from it.

The CEO tries to present this illusion that he treats his employees well by feeding them once a month and buying a company yacht, which if you've ever been on it, is just a glorified frat party. Yet none of these "perks" make up for the amount of crap you deal with on a day-to-day basis as an employee. My entire department was told on numerous occasions that we were replaceable, that we'd never make more money there. Management refused to purchase new equipment when it was seriously affecting our ability to do our jobs proficiently. And when it was finally decided that we would be getting new computers, we ended up with refurbished ones that were 7 years old. I worked countless hours of unpaid overtime. The benefits were awful. The CEO screamed at his employees in a sad attempt to boost morale... The list goes on.

Advice to Management

If you want to do nice things for your employees, be modest about it. Your employees go above and beyond for you, and the perks of the job should be a thank you for all their hard work. Don't hold it over their heads. Make your employees feel valued. Also, the screaming isn't constructive.

Jan 26, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are sorry that you feel negatively towards CGI’s pay structure. We have some employees that work with us for a very short time, while others... More

"Don't Work Here If You Want To Be In Video Production"

Former Employee - Production Assistant in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Production Assistant in Rochester, NY

I worked at CGI Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They're full-time and you can make money in Sales

Cons

DO NOT WORK HERE IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR VIDEO PRODUCTION! All you will do is call and answer emails for your producer and they treat everyone who isn't in sales horribly. the CEO is a self-obsessed jerk who cares more about the money he makes than the product he puts out

Feb 24, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking your time to share your thoughts on CGI. Unfortunately, we will have to disagree with your claim that if you are in Production, all you will do is call and answer emails. We have... More

"Don't get too excited"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in West Lafayette, IN
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in West Lafayette, IN

I worked at CGI Communications (More than a year)

Pros

- CGI does a good job of finding fun and energetic people that help make the work more enjoyable.

Cons

- As an associate your entire commission is based off of what your executive sells, so if you get paired with a bad executive or your executive is given a bad market, you don't make any money.
    - There are definite favorites at the associate and executive levels who get their pick of the best markets, and unless you are based in Rochester or constantly fly out there, you're stuck with the leftovers.

Advice to Management

- Work with all of your executives and associates, not just the Rochester based ones, to help them achieve success in the company.

Dec 6, 2016 – Recruiter

Thank you very much for your review. We apologize that your experience working with your executive was unbalanced. The executive/associate relationship is unique in that it allows for, and... More

5. "CGI!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome Company to work for

Cons

There's not enough hours in the day to work for this company

Advice to Management

Keep it up!!! :)

Nov 23, 2016 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review! When our current employees are excited about the opportunities we are providing them, we know we are doing something right.

"ok"

I worked at CGI Communications (More than a year)

Pros

People, out early on Fridays, employee appreciation day, fun environment

Cons

Low starting pay, little training

Nov 11, 2016 – Recruiter

Thank you for your contribution.

7. "CGI brings back the lost art of company transparency"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I feel trusting the company you work with and the decisions they make, was at one point in time a staple to the common thread that held organizations together. This trust bound employees, created a team environment, and allowed confidence to radiate through the workplace. This sadly seems like a lost art these days as company after company are pulling the rug out from under their employees and not staying true to their word.
    I will say however that spending almost a decade working at CGI, the company is run confidently, in a growing environment and there is a lot of opportunity here. Upper management is transparent about the future of the company as well, which resonates with some of those business morals which are becoming harder and harder to find.
    It's fun too! CGI puts forth a solid effort to make sure employees are rewarded for their efforts. Bowling in the winter, and boating trips in the summer are not uncommon!

Cons

We take risks and things can change quickly, trust and the willingness to adapt and grow are key traits for long lasting employees here at CGI in my opinion, and that's part of the reason why I continue to work here! It may not be for everybody though. With risk comes reward, a bit cliche I know, but its the truth.

Advice to Management

A "Bigger Picture" approach to some of the local messages being sent through advertising on TV and Radio. I feel most people locally still need to hear what our focus is. Branding and awareness for communities nationwide...lets continue to push and communicate that!

Nov 1, 2016 – Recruiter

Thank you very much for the feedback! CGI credits much of our success, both client and employee-wise, to the level of transparency and accessibility provided by our management team. The trust... More

"Sales Associate"

Pros

Nothing - glassdoor is making me say at least 20 words to run this. I don't even have 1 positive thing to say about them so this is me rambling so I can post this.

Cons

Everything - literally worst company to work for. Best sales guy in the company is their HR guy, Drew. If that guy can sell this job to someone and persuade them to work there then he can sell anything. Keep up the good work Drew!

Advice to Management

Grow up - especially Frank. I quit because of that guy in particular.

Dec 6, 2016 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We do understand that CGI may not be the right fit for every candidate that we welcome on board, as is the case with every company. CGI strongly... More

"Account Assoicate"

Pros

The group of people you work with is really great! They really become your family and best friends. Everyone helps out.

Cons

If you're not looking to party, this is not the company for you. Their motto is they work hard so they can play harder.

Nov 1, 2016 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about CGI. We couldn’t agree more that the employees we staff are truly one-of-a-kind. We pride ourselves on fostering a team environment where... More

10. "Can't see myself going anywhere else"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The management here realizes that in order to provide for their employees, the company needs to be a successful business. The company maintains a look towards new products or opportunities, and isn't afraid of changing a process just because that has been the way that it has always been done.

Cons

The company is fast moving and very transparent – which I see as positives so please keep this in context and don't stop. However I feel as though some times those positives make it difficult on some of the employees. The management staff just needs to realize that there are those individuals who may feel as though they are throwing 100% effort into the next best and greatest thing only to have us change directions to follow the next best and greatest idea.

Advice to Management

We're moving in the correct direction. We are a successful business and we aren't perfect but we are moving in the correct direction with a lot of things. Only advice is to make sure that management follows through with any promises to the staff.

Oct 13, 2016 – Recruiter

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts about CGI. We agree that our company is on the move in the right direction. We believe it’s important to not only stay current in the rapidly... More