CGI Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

CGI Communications Reviews

Updated April 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • CGI recognizes and rewards hard work from their employees, while encouraging a positive work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• I've seen nothing but growing opportunity and a great work environment here at CGI (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Base pay is low and benefits are average (in 7 reviews)

• It's a lot of hard work and a lot of phone calls (in 8 reviews)

"Great First Job Out Of College, Can Be A Lot More Too"

Former Employee - Production Assistant/Scriptwriter in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Production Assistant/Scriptwriter in Rochester, NY

I worked at CGI Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

THE WORK

CGI offers some great opportunities for young professionals. This was my first "real" job after I graduated and it was a unique chance to work in a steady, creative position. Most creative jobs (especially entry-level) are either freelance based or project based - so finding a 40 hour/week job that still enables you to exercise your creative muscles is rare to find, especially in Rochester.

Starting as a Production Assistant, I was able to learn the ropes and work my way into a Scriptwriter position. No matter what you are doing in Production, the job is what you make of it. It is easy to go through the motions, get the bare minimum done, and go home. But if you put in the extra effort, do an exceptional job, and make yourself noticed, you can allow yourself to grow within your position and within the company as a whole. There are always special projects coming in - both from creative-minded clients and internal marketing campaigns - and if you are one of those standout employees, you will have the chance to expand your role and take on some fun, challenging projects.

It is great experience. You get to work with small businesses literally from across the US and Canada, you will deal directly with city mayors and other community leaders, and you will work with every type of business imaginable. It can be versatile work and be highly marketable for you as a future job applicant. The range of work and the spectrum of clients are certainly reasons I was able to land the dream job I accepted when I left CGI.

THE CULTURE

The culture of CGI is an immediate attraction to working here. Most of the employees are in their 20s or low 30s so it is easy to make friends, grab a beer with coworkers, and have a really good time with the people you work with. I met some of my best friends at CGI and some of the most talented people I have ever worked with. The production floor in particular has a great group of creative people who always look out for each other and stay in touch even after they leave the company. Another huge perk is the location. In the heart of downtown Rochester, food, events, and entertainment are literally walking distance away. Grab lunch at Tedwards, Pizza Stop, or Dinosaur BBQ, walk to an Amerks game, or cross your fingers for a company happy hour on Friday at Drifters across the street (it happens fairly often).

THE CEO

Bob is one of those CEOs that you think you only read about. A big presence with huge ambition, Bob can come across somewhat negatively to some, but once you get to know him, he is exactly the type of person you want running your company. He is passionate, driven, and motivated to grow CGI. He started CGI from nothing and has built it into a 25M+ company. He literally comes into work with ideas he dreamed up the night before - some are great, some don't work out, but is always pushing the envelope and searching for new innovations. He is genuine about his intentions, whether that is improving the landscape of downtown Rochester or working to better the careers and lifestyles of his employees. He is reasonable and has people's best interest in mind and that was never more evident that when I told him I was leaving CGI - I told him I found a job in the golf industry and was going to accept the offer, and without hesitation he slammed his hands on the table in excitement, congratulated me, and acknowledged that it was the best move for me at that point in my career. He is a unique personality you will never forget but that is part of the reason he makes a great CEO.

Cons

Pay is low to start. However, that is somewhat expected if you're getting a job out of college. Raises are possible but they are often hard-fought, unscheduled, and infrequent. As I mentioned above, put in the extra effort, lend yourself to additional tasks, and things can work out for you. Stay positive, get the experience you need, and try to move up or move on.

Advice to Management

Set up a system for employees to grow. Annual reviews, concrete goals, and concrete incentives would go a long way when it comes to strengthening internal growth, retention, and motivation. Do what you can to retain your quality employees.

Lead through inspiration. The role of managers should be to bring out the best in their employees and inspire them to do great things for the department. Coaches coach and players play. While all production managers have exceptional talent and each handle their own workload, it should be their job to encourage employees to be the exceptional ones on the floor, and managers should welcome their ideas with an open mind.

2. "Excellent Company"

Current Employee - Account Associate in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Account Associate in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love working for CGI. As my first job post graduation I feel as though I couldn't have found a better company to start my career with. After interning with various corporations; CGI is a breathe of fresh air combining a corporate sense of security with the excitement and opportunities of a start up. My favorite thing about CGI is the company's culture. We meet with our CEO bi-weekly and our president as well as upper management weekly. These meetings are not only motivational but they give me a sense of involvement as well as provide wonderful opportunities to learn and grow. If there's one thing I've seen since I've started is that there is no shortage of opportunity within this company. As we continue to grow and continue to expand I'm left feeling both excited and overwhelmed by the possibilities of how and where my career can grow. Everyone I have interacted with within the company is inviting, welcoming, and encouraging. I can confidently say I'm so happy with this company and proud to be an employee.

Cons

The only downside I can think of is the starting wage/ salary for entry level positions is low. However, I'd rather get paid a little knowing I have the opportunity for a raise in a couple of months; than get paid a lot and be miserable with my company / what I am doing.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

3. "New Promotion"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Rochester, NY

Pros

I've been working at CGI Communications for only 8 months as a Sales Associate. With the start of the new year, I was promoted to a recruitment position. I am ecstatic about this role and am looking forward to playing a key part in the companies success. This position is brand new and will give me the opportunity to learn more ropes in the company and continue to build my career here at CGI. What I love most about this job is that if you work hard and have a positive attitude, they will take notice and will reward you. The only thing in the way of your success is yourself. I will be recruiting new sales executives from all over the country to sell a new dynamic, innovative marketing product we are releasing in just a few weeks! If you're interested in hearing more about this please feel free to reach out to me. I am also happy to answer any other questions you have about the company.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say, other than if you don't succeed here it's because you didn't put in the time and effort and got in your own way. You are given all the tools necessary to have a great career here.

5. "Lots of hard work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at CGI Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a very transparent company. You get aid from the very top down. Everyone was very helpful and put a lot of time and effort to help succeed.

Cons

No real cons here. It's a lot of hard work and a lot of phone calls. Starting out as an Inside Sales Associate be ready to put in the work!

Advice to Management

Everyone was great

6. "Great company for a career!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CGI Communications (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working at CGI in the Chicago office for five years now. For me, it was my first job out of college so I didn't know what to expect. After five years, I have been lucky enough to have different positions in almost every division the company has to offer. With that experience, I have a lot of product knowledge in many different types of work. After putting in my time, I have now moved over to Account Management, which was always my dream job and what I worked for since the position opened in CGI. Now, I manage clients in the Next! division which helps local business with the SEO and online reputations.

Before, I was a traveling sales executive. In just four years, I traveled to 32 states in the country and was able to see places I would never have seen in my life time had it not been for that position. Traveling was an amazing experience and if you are looking to travel the country, meet lots of people, and see lots of things with a passion for sales, that would be a great position for you.

My first position was the Sales Associate role. With that role, it was a great stepping stone to my move to Sales Executive. The managers take a ton of time training you so you are ready to call everyone from business owners, CEO's, marketing directors to business managers, and set appointments for the sales executives to sell. Even if you struggle in your position, if you seek their help, they will make sure you are successful as long as you are passionate and committed. With that position, there is no traveling unless you work in one of the outside offices where you have to travel to Rochester NY 4-6 times a year.

If you are looking for a smaller company, where the VPs, Managers, and the CEO actually care about your careers and lives, then CGI would be a great fit for you.

Cons

The only downside to working in Chicago office, is that cost of living is really expensive and the entry level job salary didn't even cover my rent so I had to work two jobs. However, as an office, we brought it to their attention and they quickly bumped up our salaries once they saw cost of living vs. our salaries. Also, there are plenty of opportunities to move up where they compensate you much higher than most companies I know, especially in Rochester. So if you work hard and put in the time you can move into those positions very quickly.

7. "Sales associate - Great beginner job, young atmosphere."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rochester, NY

I worked at CGI Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good atmosphere, benefits like getting out early on Friday, before holidays, etc. employee appreciation lunches and parties. "Team building." Great resume builder.

Cons

Being that I was a little older than most working there, sometime the atmosphere seemed immature. Certain managers have unrealistic expectations for associates. For example, demanding 10+ appointments set per day, when they know they wouldn't be able to do it themselves.

Advice to Management

Have more realistic expectations for associated. Don't string along associates who have sales experience in order to keep morale high. Give people a shot to move up based on experience/ age rather than solely based on metrics.

8. "ROCHESTER"

Former Employee - New York in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - New York in Rochester, NY

I worked at CGI Communications full-time

Pros

young culture, fun environment

Cons

favoritism, hard time keeping outside employees connected

9. "So much room to grow in this company"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked here now for almost a year. In that time I have moved up in positions. This was not only from putting in the time and hard work but because of the constant push here to be the best that you can be. If you want the opportunities they are here for you and everyone is here to help you reach your goals in this company. I love the people I work with and the president of my division as well as the company are very involved. They know who you are and make an effort to make you feel like a person not just a number. I would highly recommend CGI to anyone looking for a career where they are willing to work hard and put in the time and effort the make this company and themselves the best they can be.

Cons

The starting salary is a little low. However I was able to make it work on what I got and I moved up so quick that it really didn't matter. I think it is good because it gives you a reason to work hard if you want to make more money. This company is full of opportunity and building a career and if you work hard and move up there is so much room to do very well here.

"I've had a great experience with CGI"

Current Employee - Producer in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Producer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I started working at CGI directly out of college and received a promotion after being with the company for 4 months. The atmosphere is really great and I am surrounded by an excellent group of people that make work enjoyable every day. I have made a lot of friends here and continue to learn something new each day. It is also a very positive experience to receive a promotion within my first 6 months of employment. There is a lot of growth and opportunity within this company for those that apply themselves and deserve it. If you work hard here, you are definitely noticed and rewarded.

Cons

The starting pay can be low, but I moved up quickly so it wasn't an issue for too long. I don't always agree with the way things are done around here, but each work place is different.

"At the end of the day, it's all about the money"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I worked at CGI Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool office space. Free coffee.

Cons

Very little pay for the amount of work that's required.