CGI Reviews in Virginia | Glassdoor

CGI President and Chief Executive Officer George D. Schindler
George D. Schindler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I worked at CGI full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If ambitious, CGI really allows you to grow. I started at CGI as an entry-level programmer and filled many roles during my tenure, including business analysts, systems analyst and defect manager. CGI allows for mentorship and really provides opportunities to learn. Additionally, there is an opportunity for work/life balance.

Cons

There is not always a clear career path, but again there are opportunities to grow within the organization.

Advice to Management

Focus on entry level members and make them feel a part of the company. I think over the years there has been a disconnect between new members and the rest of the company.

2. "CGI Review"

Former Employee - Consultant in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Fairfax, VA

I worked at CGI full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Competitive benefits; 3 weeks of vacation (may vary, depending on experience and number of years with the company); unlimited sick leave.

Cons

Limited opportunities to advance; not many opportunities for training (may vary depending on the type of work you do)

3. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at CGI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

can work at home; beautiful workplace/environment

Cons

very few face to face communications with managers or colleagues

Advice to Management

slack off

4. "good company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at CGI full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Has lot opportunities for growth. Flexible and work life balance.

Cons

I feel salary is not par with the industry trend.

Advice to Management

Please try to pay attention to the employees and their contribution.

5. "Scrum Master"

Former Employee - Scrum Master in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Scrum Master in Fairfax, VA

I worked at CGI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very easy environment to work in for the most part and if I needed to take vacation it was always approved. I also got some excellent experience while I was there and did not often feel stressed which was really nice.

Cons

Management is very disorganized and I often felt that people were not serious about their jobs. I often ran into people that seemed to be fine with mediocrity rather than trying to produce something that was extraordinary.

Advice to Management

Management needs better organization, stronger communication skills and they should clean house and get rid of the under-performers.

6. "Good for new grads, not good for seasoned professionals"

Former Employee - Consultant in Lebanon, VA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Lebanon, VA

I worked at CGI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Able to work from home. If you have a IT it's easy to get hired by CGI. Good place for new grads to get that first 2 years of experience. Career wise all CGI is useful for is to keep holes off your resume. If you lack ambition CGI it's the place for you.

Cons

Pay is significantly below industry average. CGI has some of the worst benefits and the most expensive health insurance I've encountered. CGI is one of those shops that throws bodies at jobs regardless of the person's experience or career desires. Since CGI it's a consulting company there is very little opportunity to work with current technologies or to learn new skills. I worked for CGI for 5 years and during that time I was never given the opportunity to work on projects using current technologies (5 years of working on .NET forms doesn't make for good job experience). There is no opportunity for career growth, when you quit you'll be doing the same thing you did when they hired you. You'll be treated like a cog in the machine by CGI and you'll quickly find out they will discard you at any down turn in business or when by they lose the contract you are working on through incompetent management.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like professionals, not like assembly line workers. Give your employees a chance to learn new skills and grow their career. Pay a fair wage and give decent benefits.

7. "Im indifferent"

Current Employee - Logistics Management Specialist in Quantico, VA
    Current Employee - Logistics Management Specialist in Quantico, VA

I have been working at CGI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The contracts are pretty solid and I havent had issues with work

Cons

This is a French-Canadian company and locating anything on their portal is nearly impossible. If you're not corporate, the benefits aren't the greatest. They are good but corporate employees have it better. Sometimes I don't really feel like an employee being on my contract because Ihave no real affiliation or communication with the company. Contracts are set to include pay and there is no growth opportunity

Advice to Management

Big company and a good start. Not long lived in my opinion

8. "Enterprise wide programmer and analyst"

Current Employee - Enterprise Wide Programmer Analyst in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Wide Programmer Analyst in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at CGI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A great company to start off and gain experience

Cons

Poor management and low raises

Advice to Management

Attempt to be more engage in all teams related within your project. Employees sometimes feel like they aren't notice for their work

9. "IT Consultant - Business Analyst"

Former Employee - Junior IT Consultant in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Junior IT Consultant in Fairfax, VA

I worked at CGI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

CGI is a rock solid company - they are extremely hard-working and dedicated to creating IT solutions for whoever the client -- to the point that they have projects where they are promising something that can only be delivered by frantic back-room work and lots of promises to clients. The benefits are great, stock purchase program alone is worth the position, Salary is average for IT consultants but very good for an entry level position.

The culture is laid back for consulting - they have high expectations for your work but are normally very willing to show you how to do things you aren't familiar with (You learn to network through communicator, I don't think I know what half my coworkers looked like).

Some teams are awesome - management is on top of the game, training is good, and your coworkers will support you. CGI truly is about your team. It is a large company with a LOT of policies, rules, social events, resources, and tools to take advantage of. It can be overwhelming

Management is extremely capable and genuinely has your best interests at heart - as long as you are working hard. Stress is a constant and a given. Expect to work 50 hr weeks and sometimes 60 hr weeks.

Cons

The training program prepares you for helpdesk support for CGI's flagship ERP. However, when being placed into project it is very possible you will be placed in a project doing a job that you had no training for - and you have to learn how to do it without the client catching on that you are clueless. It is slave-to-a-database work and it is tedious and confusing. The office culture is subdued and everyone seems to silently hate their job.

ENtry level consultants are disposable and a certain percentage are expected to quit within the first year. the training program is fairly isolated from the rest of the company (AKA projects) and new hires are not given a lot of direction during the training phase. This can lead to a lot of anxiety about direction within the company - don't expect anyone to give you any, which is where a mentor program would be so so helpful

You will travel to client site so expect long commutes on top of long work days.

There is little time for professional development on project so use your time off-project to capitalize on CGI's software training modules.

Advancement is 5 years to senior consultant. You will invariably pick up other project skills (proposal writing, project management, lead client service, etc.) that will contribute leverage to salary negotiations and general usefulness, but the next promotion is senior consultant.

It was not a good fit culture wise for me

Advice to Management

Please please please train new hires with skill sets that benefit them on client site. Invest more in your new employees...

10. "Great and flexible company to work for with many benefits to offer"

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Lebanon, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Lebanon, VA

I have been working at CGI full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Able to work from home when needed. Many opportunities for advancement. Lots of training available to you. You can bank comp-time up to 40 hours for leave. However, this accrued after you work hours over. Also get up to 8 hours flex time which you must the week after you work it or it's gone. Profit-sharing at the end of the fiscal = Christmas bonus. Flex Spending account for health care spending AND Dependent Care (i.e., daycare). Shared purchase plan lets you purchase company stock (company matches up to %).

Cons

If you work 8 or less hours over on a week, you can ONLY use that as flex time the following week or it goes bye-bye.

Showing 297 of 3,950 reviews