CGI "career growth" Reviews | Glassdoor

CGI Employee Reviews about "career growth"

Updated Nov 20, 2019

3.5
CGI CEO George D. Schindler
George D. Schindler
1,689 Ratings
Cons

Reviews about "career growth"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Sr.Consultant"

I have been working at CGI full-time

Pros

Good company to start with.. A lot of clients with mixed market. Financial stability

Cons

Career growth is limited...Learning opportunity is less..

CGI2017-10-15
  2. "Decent Company"

Current Employee - Business Analyst Consultant in Lebanon, VA

I have been working at CGI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They are flexible with hours and will work with you to make sure you have a good work life balance. They allowed me to work remote fulltime so that I could move with my husband when he received a great opportunity in a different city; however, the benefits for flexible hours and working remote vary from office to office and even from manager to manager.

Cons

There aren't many opportunities for promotion or career growth. Also, you don't have a lot of control over the projects and teams you will be assigned to and it can be hard to get off of one that really doesn't fit your education or passions. Also, because there isn't a lot of room for growth the pay isn't the greatest.

CGI2019-05-29

"A Stepping Stone"

Member

I worked at CGI for more than a year

Pros

Recognizable name for resume. Management doesn't scream to get a message across. A few projects offer decent technical learning opportunities (but not many). Emphasis on work-life balance. Many social activities.

Cons

High deductible health plan. Salary and raises are *low* for industry. Most career growth opportunities are for "functional" people. Managers don't scream, but some can be P/A to a degree that borders on pathological. A lot of work is done poorly overseas and/or by highly fragmented teams spanning multiple time zones. Bad communication at all org levels. "Work from home" doesn't always mean the work gets done.... Positive annual reviews may require face time at social activities.

Advice to Management

The "lower cost of living" advantage to the Onshore Delivery (OSD) locations is, increasingly, a myth. Quality technical people do not want to be on cleanup duty for work done overseas and thrown over the proverbial wall. A few drug tests here and there wouldn't hurt.

CGI2018-03-04

"Decent starting location"

I have been working at CGI full-time

Pros

CGI Accepts college hires fairly regularly so it's a good way to start getting experience.

Cons

Not a lot of career growth Low Compensation

Advice to Management

No Advice - Just do better

CGI2017-12-19
  5. "Good Starting Point"

I have been working at CGI full-time

Pros

Good Starting Point for Recent college graduates Really flexible scheduling

Cons

Management structure is constantly changing Limited opportunities for career growth

CGI2017-10-19

"Masked Bodyshop"

I worked at CGI full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good network of projects, if one is flexible to re-locate or travel

Cons

Managers/ Directors: Never meet you 1-on-1 because they have no time from doing their admin work. CGI does not harbor the culture HR: You can never find out who your HR is in the system or unless you ask the account manager. Career Growth: There is nothing called as career growth path, Managers don't know you, they know you only through client, and Managers do not work with you on any issue or provide any... guidance or training. There is nothing you can do beyond becoming as a Sr. consultant Health Plans: That was a best thing cgi had to offer but, its at least $10k OOP expense and spouse+ Kids on the plans, as the premiums are engineered, are highly discouraged. There has been a growing resentment amount the CGI members. MSAP reviews : The managers do let you know internally that there is a chance CGI will find out who has given a bad review so, its an indirect way of controlling resources to not talk about issues. Social engagements: These are all forced, and the pictures we see on social media are when consultants are forced to step out, take a picture, and none of the consultants have real relation or connection to the work/cause they they are pictured for. One of the biggest reason is CGI's focus is on external appearance and does NOT harbor any internal networking/engagements.

Advice to Management

Please be in touch with your employees and find time to engage with them to understand what they deal with, work with them . Consultants will NEVER give you a real feedback when they are quietly told that MSAP and other surveys can be tracked.

CGI2017-10-06
  7. "CGI Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at CGI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good people to work with.

Cons

Limited career growth or opportunities.

CGI2017-09-08

"New Grads Stay Away!"

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Lansing, MI

I have been working at CGI full-time for less than a year

Pros

They dont really think that highly of you, thus you dont get that much work. Simple work, nothing hard, always give you instructions on what to do. Thus, you have even more time to just do whatever you want since nothing is hard. Good benefits for people with families

Cons

no career growth opportunities. From seeing the environment here, this is a place you want to be where you only care about making money and supporting a family. For younger people like myself, be prepared to use 10 year old technology, and others which make you laugh when your manager says there are a lot of career growth opportunities. Salary was low, but after being here for a bit, understandable why. Manager has... constantly asked me to stay after work hours to work, has asked me to stay on weekends every now and then, as well as told me to eat as little as possible as time is valuable. With literally barely any work given, why on earth do I need to put in all of those extra hours? When he asked me to come in on the weekend, he told me yeah you'll probably just be sitting on your computer doing nothing always but i still want you to come in. For the love of all that is good, stay away and pray for me that I can find a job soon so I can shove a big fat resignation letter with "I quit" in a font size of 72.

Advice to Management

Please try to get ahead of the curve and be up to date/at least knowledgeable about newer technologies. I don't see how this company will last in the future. Once all of the older people die, most of the younger people would probably not come to work at CGI especially if they were in my shoes currently. Also, please try to give your new grads more challenging work so they can learn more and not just sit around... doing nothing, though if I had a family to take care of, I would definitely want to continue for the sake of money. Also, try to give your employees a better work life balance. I know most of the older employees don't really care since they like taking the money for their families, but from the outside, it looks really toxic.

CGI2017-08-03

"Good for new grads, not good for seasoned professionals"

Former Employee - Consultant in Lebanon, VA

I worked at CGI full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Able to work from home. If you have a IT it's easy to get hired by CGI. Good place for new grads to get that first 2 years of experience. Career wise all CGI is useful for is to keep holes off your resume. If you lack ambition CGI it's the place for you.

Cons

Pay is significantly below industry average. CGI has some of the worst benefits and the most expensive health insurance I've encountered. CGI is one of those shops that throws bodies at jobs regardless of the person's experience or career desires. Since CGI it's a consulting company there is very little opportunity to work with current technologies or to learn new skills. I worked for CGI for 5 years and during that... time I was never given the opportunity to work on projects using current technologies (5 years of working on .NET forms doesn't make for good job experience). There is no opportunity for career growth, when you quit you'll be doing the same thing you did when they hired you. You'll be treated like a cog in the machine by CGI and you'll quickly find out they will discard you at any down turn in business or when by they lose the contract you are working on through incompetent management.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like professionals, not like assembly line workers. Give your employees a chance to learn new skills and grow their career. Pay a fair wage and give decent benefits.

CGI2017-07-09
  10. "Good people and generally a good company"

I have been working at CGI full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Competitive starting salary, smart and kind co-workers

Cons

Lack of opportunity for career growth, minimal to nil investment in employee training

CGI2017-04-12