CGN Global Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 104 reviews

3.2
CGN Global CEO Seshadri Guha
Seshadri Guha
Pros
  • "Collaborative work environment that is building innovative solutions for businesses every day(in 8 reviews)

• "Able to learn a lot if you reach out(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "I would personally recommended the true leaders in the company to have another look at the senior management and the sales team(in 10 reviews)

• "CGN Global still has majority of its revenues from one client(in 6 reviews)

"Tons of Opportunity"

Former Employee - Strategy Consultant

I worked at CGN Global full-time for more than a year

Pros

There was a lot of opportunity to learn quick and fast. Family-like work environment. Was able to work with a bunch of very smart people both internally and client facing.

Cons

No direction from upper management.

Advice to Management

Diversify. Need to have more transparency within the different levels of management.

CGN Global2019-05-09

June 26, 2019Managing Partner

Thank you for your comments. We do take them very seriously and will include them in our semi-annual company improvement process. Hopefully, future comments will show that we are moving the needle in improving employee experiences.

"There are 3 kinds of people in this company - broadly speaking"

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at CGN Global full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Definitely gives you freedom to define your own space and let's you work on initiatives of your liking / competence

Cons

There are 3 kinds of people in this company - broadly speaking 1. Who have been a part since the very beginning - veterans (really?) 2. People who have immigration dependencies 3. People who have retired (or let go) from a major client This company is based out of Peoria so definitely it doesn't attract the best and the brightest talent. There's a constant push to monitor and compare peers at levels below Sr.... Mgr. (I feel comparing is fundamentally wrong, but I'll get to it a little later in the post). However, if we think about it, what would pushing more your working level do? (are we doing it because they are the most vulnerable and don't have the loudest voices?). In any case that's not the point, from my standpoint that group is probably the hardest working (or maybe the only working) bunch in the company. If I read other reviews on Glassdoor and follow talks in the company, it's clear how this bunch and the leadership team is definitely not aligned. Most of the initiatives are taken up by Sr. Mgr's and below, most of the solutions are developed by those folks, they are responsible for project delivery and at the end of the day only they do the work. So are we saying that the people who are already working quite hard should do more? In fact what they call 'the leadership team' is just sales. All of their responsibility is to sell junk to the client and literally lie. Let me now come to the different kinds of people in the company. For the record 70%+ (more or less) of Sr. Mgrs and below are #2. They are pushed around because they have immigration dependencies and no where else to go. I have seen Sr. Mgr. or below who don't have immigration dependencies, quickly move on. Category #1 has been in the company for over 10 years and worked with one client. If you think about this fundamentally, what would they know - they have been in a city which is definitely not thriving, worked with a company which most definitely isn't thriving and created solutions with are over 2 decades old. They have zero exposure to where the world has gone and they are stuck in this little bubble of theirs. In this fast paced economy what good is that? And they think they know what they are doing. Infact Category #2 of people are much more progressive, sharper and bring a diverse set of skills. I don't even want to talk about category #3 - like honestly I don't. Time and again I have heard leadership say this is the nature of consulting job and you should work 60+ hrs every week. Let me stop you right there - first you are not a consulting company so don't even think about comparing yourself with those guys, second those who put in 60+ hrs definitely have an upside to do it - it could be the quality of work, problems they solve or could be money. You don't have any - I am not even kidding. Your work is mostly staffing and you call it consulting. And money, ha!, you probably pay 'less than half' of what consulting companies pay typically. So your discussion about other consulting companies is dead in the water. Coming back to the leadership team. So how many metrics are there for the leadership team outside of sales target? - which everyone clearly misses. Shouldn't they be the one developing solutions, solving problems and applying their decades worth of industry knowledge to identify opportunities? As opposed to just throw stuff over the fence and ask for updates? I would personally recommended the true leaders in the company to have another look at the senior management and the sales team. They don't even know what they are selling and literally putting a lot of people under pressure to deliver on false commitments. And lastly, yes lastly, pay cuts. If look at the industry performance for all their so called clients - their stock prices and P&L look pretty strong. So why a 'consulting company' (ahem!) struggling to get business? Guess the answer lies somewhere in the leadership (ahem! sales) team.

CGN Global2019-09-18

September 23, 2019Marketing Communications Specialist

Thank you for your comments. We take them very seriously and will include them in our semi-annual company improvement process. Hopefully, future comments will show that we are moving the needle in improving employee experiences. We thank you for your dedicated service to the firm and wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

3. "Good place to learn"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Peoria, IL

I worked at CGN Global full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent Team to work

Cons

Not great pay masters and no value for educational qualifications

CGN Global2019-09-04

"Great place to develop"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at CGN Global full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Diversity in work, direct communication with the Executive team, open to new ideas and change, resources for development and support in personal/professional growth. Teamwork all across the entire organization, we are one team.

Cons

Increase the chance to project rotation, alignment of skills to projects with the opportunity to develop new skills while on the project, improvement opportunity to train great leaders starting at the Consultant level

Advice to Management

Allow for lower level consulting practice to be part of the strategic outlook and help upper management reach continued success.

CGN Global2019-06-21

June 26, 2019Managing Partner

"Pay cuts are very common. I have witnessed 4 so far"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at CGN Global full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get to call yourself a management consultant. You receive a paycheck regularly. Office is in downtown Chicago

Cons

There were multiple rounds of pay cuts in 2011 - 2013. Because CGN is a firm that is incapable of learning from their mistakes, there were 2 rounds of pay cuts in 2016! Ask any one who has worked during this time frame at CGN to get an inside scoop. Management may deny on the response to this review but my pay slip speaks the truth. :) CGN does not offer any training or internal/ external courses and certifications.... There is no HR staff in the Chicago office. Annual appraisals are conducted only by the reporting manager. You have no room to negotiate the outcome. CGN Global still has majority of its revenues from one client. The CEO and senior partners have made empty promises to me and when I emailed and called them multiple times to take action, he failed to respond. What cowards! Dirty politics. The longer you stay at CGN Global, the more obsolete you get. Get out while you still can. It is likely that pay cuts are around the corner

CGN Global2019-07-14

July 30, 2019Marketing Communications Specialist

Firstly, thank you for your service to our firm! We will take your feedback into our employee survey and strive to improve our policies. Thank you and we wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

"It's a great bunch of resources with a clueless and airheaded senior management"

I worked at CGN Global full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have had spent a long time at CGN. Managers and below really put their best effort and work really hard. They are always up for helping and ready to go above and beyond.

Cons

Despite being a great team, no one is truly qualified to be a 'business' consultant. I think the easiest way to figure that out would to be to look at the resumes and background of the employees. Same applies to the senior management - most folks have stayed in the company for over a decade without any exposure or even a fair understanding of the market, competition and clients in general. Feel free to look them up.... They have a serious effort towards diversification of clients, but I think they first need to diversify the people and be open to a diversified point of view. They advertise themselves as the best management consulting company, and if they truly think they are and stand by it, I would recommend current and future clients to ask for references from past engagements.

Advice to Management

We all need to make more money and climb up the ladder. I would advice you to not misguide, take advantage of and do that at the expense of employees who really work hard and are true to their jobs.

CGN Global2019-06-13

June 26, 2019Managing Partner

Firstly, thank you for your dedicated service for more than five years! We will take your critical feedback into our employee survey and strive to move the needle. Thank you and wishing you the best of luck in your endeavors.

"Great company"

Former Employee - Senior Engineering Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at CGN Global full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a great company to work for.

Cons

it is a Cyclical business.

Advice to Management

diversify

CGN Global2019-04-18

June 26, 2019Managing Partner

Thank you for your note. FYI - Our Diversification efforts are ramping up and we are moving the needle in this area. Wishing you well in your future endeavors.

"Horrible company to work with, no idea how this company is still functioning"

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at CGN Global full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You can get to work on multiple projects with one multi-national firm

Cons

You only get to work with one client, they just don't have any else Leaders don't have a clue of what they are doing Management is very arrogant and insensitive Going bankrupt any day

CGN Global2019-02-20

June 26, 2019Managing Partner

CGN was awarded the Forbes - America's Best Management Consulting Firms in 2019, now three years in a row!!! This selection is done by a third party company surveying 7,500 partners and executives of management consultancies, as well as 1,000 senior executives who worked with such firms over the last four years. CGN was in the top 216 firms in North America. Not sure if CGN would have made this list if the points made in this review were true. Even then, we will take your comments as feedback in our employee survey and wish you well in your future endeavors.

"Consultant"

I worked at CGN Global

Pros

Able to travel a lot. Given a lot of responsibility to create consulting content, work with customers and present

Cons

Sometimes pressure to work long hours. Really have to travel when the job demands it.

CGN Global2018-11-24

June 26, 2019Managing Partner

The life of a consultant is not for everyone. A consultant wears many hats and on occasion has to work extended hours, not different than a leader with many responsibilities in a non-consulting role. This is the life of a consultant with any consulting company really. Wishing you well in your future endeavors.

"Company"

I worked at CGN Global full-time

Pros

It is niche and manufacturing focused

Cons

Company strategy is personality driven

CGN Global2018-09-29

June 26, 2019Managing Partner

Thank you for your time with us. CGN staffs projects based on skills required to ensure customer success is better than expected. Wishing you well in your future endeavors.

Found 104 reviews