CH2M Reviews in Corvallis, OR | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CH2M CEO Jacqueline Hinman
Jacqueline Hinman

Pros
Cons
  • Work Life Balance, working hours (in 18 reviews)

• Upper management has no clue what is happening with employees or their career growth (in 38 reviews)

"Reorganization"

Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Corvallis, OR
    Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Corvallis, OR

Pros

Highly flexible work schedules. Moral seems high in the office.

Cons

Going through significant reorganization. Job Security unclear. Sporadic Lay offs

2. "Internship"

Current Employee - Structural Intern in Corvallis, OR
    Current Employee - Structural Intern in Corvallis, OR

Pros

What I liked the most was the great mentor-ship culture that CH2M offered. In addition, my supervisor trusted me with many different and challenging tasks.

Cons

As a structural engineer in the water business group your work might get buried down and sometimes some of the clients are not the best to work for.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Engineer Intern"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corvallis, OR

I have been working at CH2M (Less than a year)

Pros

Good consulting experience, good co-workers

Cons

Not challenging, not enough work

Advice to Management

Challenge incoming engineers more

"Less, Less, Less..."

Current Employee - Senior Designer V in Corvallis, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Designer V in Corvallis, OR

I have been working at CH2M full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Paycheck is steady. From a worms eye view, we are lucky to have a job.

Cons

The CH2M Hill board members appear to only be looking out for themselves and their bank accounts. After working for this company for over 20 years there has been the slow decline of a once great company to work for.

Employees used to have 100% paid health benefits, REAL bonuses, REAL raises, a paid 1 month sabbatical every 7 years. Bonuses used to be minimum 13th month (a full extra month paycheck), now we get a $50 Applebees gift card once a year if we're lucky. Defined 401k employee stock contributions were eliminated and our matching contributions are now reduced for the first time ever (we are getting around 50% matching this year). Raises for longtime employess are far less than cost of living averaging around 1-2%. Our pension plan was eliminated.

Less, Less, Less... The management simply does not value its assets which are it's employees. Longevity and seniority mean absolutely nothing whatsoever. Hard work is rarely if ever rewarded or publicly recognized.

The disparity between the board member's compensation and the average employee for a "company owned" corporation is 1000 fold. New board members are awarded 25,000 shares to start with. The average long term employee has less than 3,000 shares after 15-20 years. And it would take 13 years for an average employee to match the first year's salary of a newly appointed board member.

There is also a massive gap in board member male/female management salary equity. Previous male board members have had a 2-3x compensation package over female board members with longer company history. So either there is a massive inequity among the sexes at the companies highest level or severe corruption of company policies.

Simply put, our senior management does not promote a positive example for the rest of us to follow. Talk is cheap, but when it comes down to it, their actions do not match their words. Just look at the difference between board member compensation and ours. Non-employee board members make more than high level employees for attending a few dozen meetings a year.

The founders of CH2M Hill are likely rolling over in their graves. They walked among us just like anyone else and treated us as equals. Encouraging us and living a real work example. And they appreciated our work and paid us for it and rewarded our extra efforts graciously and often.

Advice to Management

Take a close look at the difference between board membership and your most valuable "assets" (read the yellow book) and then ask if you feel it is fair. Do board members REALLY deserve to make 3-4 million a year more than the average employees making 50-100k? How much is "Enough" in an "employee owned" company?

CH2M Response

Sep 16, 2015 – Company Representative

Hello, first let us thank you for being part of our team for over 20 years. We appreciate your feedback. We want to reassure you that we do value our employees – they are a crucial part of our team ... More

"Hit hard times"

Current Employee - Buyer Professional IV in Corvallis, OR
    Current Employee - Buyer Professional IV in Corvallis, OR

I have been working at CH2M full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

For the most part the people are great to work with, the pay is at the current level or above, and the bennys are good.

Cons

Pass CEO really cause the company to hit hard times. The current CEO is trying everything she can to pull us out of the nosedive we are in. No Cash for anything at the moment... and no overhead spending on anything.

"Struggling to keep values with rapid growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corvallis, OR

Pros

Very good technical talent. Engineers are generally competent and produce quality work (with only few exceptions). Good flexibility in time off and when you can work.

Cons

Company is struggling to keep their former values as they grow. "Employee Owned" feels like a joke. Compensation of management is inflated by arbitrary stock pricing.

Top management is full of people outside the company that are well connected, which leads to disconnect between management and those doing the work.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to hire within. Focus on core businesses and doing them well. Growth isn't always good just for growth's sake.

7. "Great place for learning"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Corvallis, OR
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Corvallis, OR

Pros

I really enjoy working for CH2M Hill because the supervisors actually care about your development. Feedbacks are given constantly. They are really flexible with work schedule. Most important thing is to complete your work.

Cons

The only bad thing about working at CH is if you are a designer, there are limited offices where you can work.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect and always provide communication on news relating to the company.

Showing 7 of 1,016 reviews