CH2M Reviews in London, England | Glassdoor

CH2M CEO Jacqueline Hinman
Jacqueline Hinman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work Life Balance, working hours (in 18 reviews)

• Upper management has no clue what is happening with employees or their career growth (in 38 reviews)

1. "What a way to start my career"

Current Employee - Civil Engineer Apprentice in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer Apprentice in London, England (UK)

I have been working at CH2M full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

CH2M has given all the support, information and guidance needed to help me settle in and feel welcome.

Cons

The setting up process for my online portals/ logins could've been more clearly explained and ready for my start date.

Advice to Management

Organize the inductions for new starters within the first month of their employment with CH2M.

"Career Progression, Flexible working culture and pro-activeness it is rewarded"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at CH2M full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are a "doer" person and dont like to sit back, your career will progress pretty quickly. I know it sounds like I work in HR, but I dont. I have worked in CH2M for the past 4 years. Started in a technical role but after few years I felt like I wanted to learn more about project management and sales so I talked to few people and they supported me and moved to a new role where I am learning lots. What I want to get to it is that the CH2M culture it is to support and develop people, and from my point of view they do it pretty well. Also, I like their approach with flexible working, the video conferencing it is use widely, and they would be open for you to work from home, even if you do not have children and I love that, it is a true work-life balance. Leadership communication it is quite good, you can be as informed of what it is happening in the company as you want. Diversity is a strong value in CH2M, there are nearly 50/50 men and women from all backgrounds.

Cons

To get a pay raice you will have to push hard. There is a system in place, but you wont be getting a big increase. There is also a reward scheme, but the amounts are not very noticeable in your bank account.

There seems to be quite a lot of re-structuring which can make people feel unease.

Advice to Management

Continue supporting the professional development initiatives, including the graduate and middle level professional programmes. Dont let re-structuring lose the company values and morale.

"Overall, very good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at CH2M full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Always looking to excel, always looking to innovate, overall good terms and benefits, typical good and challenging projects

Cons

Company values are not always lived by all, but that's with very firm.
    If there's an organisational change, wait 6 months, another will be along soon.

Advice to Management

It's not all about Leaders, some just want to do a great job on great jobs and not be the boss.

"Excellent Opportunities"

Current Employee - Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at CH2M full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very friendly and supportive colleagues, and the practice I work in is really focused on developing its members. There is a good leadership that instils the core values of cooperation, support and development across the team. Good projects to work on and the ability to work with some of the global experts in the field. Since I have been with CH2M I have grown exponentially as an engineer and have been supporting in all my aspirations. You have to have skin in the game- don't expect to get something for nothing- hard work is rewarded.

Cons

Sometimes communication can be a little patchy , especially about pipeline work, this has improved in the last few months. There can be uncertainty and this tends to make people jittery. I do think however the industry is facing some challenges yet again and this is most likely a common feeling across the sector.

Advice to Management

Continue with the communication improvements - outline the direction of the pipeline work - this can help people focus their development goals

"Great company, great people"

Current Employee - Graduate Civil Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Graduate Civil Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at CH2M full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is outstanding. Everyone is very supportive and easily approachable.

Cons

Because it is a big company, you have to push for what you want, otherwise you'll be forgotten in your conner.

Advice to Management

Many times top management pushes for changes that get stuck at middle management.

6. "Economics Team"

Current Employee - Management Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Management Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at CH2M full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company culture is very relaxed and rewarding. You will get to work on very interesting projects (Public/Private). The team are made of very qualified people from top universities around the UK. The level of support is always there and training is encouraged. This is a great company for those that have goals and want to excel. Pay is relatively a little bit below market rate for consultancies but above public services (29400).

Cons

Because this is mainly an engineering consultancies organisation, the economics graduate path can be a little bit unclear.

Advice to Management

My advice will be to extend graduate intakes and diversify the type of works in the long term. Projects in the energy market can be undertaken when resources becomes available.

7. "Excellent work environment full of exciting opportunity and encouragment for growth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at CH2M (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent work environment with plenty of support and opportunity across the business. Workplace is notably friendly and events are frequently arranged to encourage staff to get to know each other throughout the organisation. This in turn allows for for a decidedly productive work environment.

Cons

The company does have a perpetual nervousness about it's financial position and when hard times hit it can be inclined to deliver the odd knee jerk reaction, but this could well be said of many business's that face today's unpredictable climate.

8. "internship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

great graduate community and workload adequate for current level

Cons

more advice to interns from senior management

"Economics Team"

Current Employee - London in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - London in London, England (UK)

I have been working at CH2M (More than a year)

Pros

Given responsibility early on
    Flexible work schedule
    Work on interesting and important projects

Cons

Should pay more
    Management should pay more attention to what type of work employees are looking to get involved with

"Look for real values"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in London, England (UK)

Pros

Interesting jobs, relaxed atmosphere, nice colleagues, good for gaining management and commenrcial knowledge, generally supportive directors, good IT support, nice headoffice.

Cons

Hard to gain techical knowledge, only get promoted and payrise if you get sufficient support from your line manager, often writing papers or "selling" yourself is more appreciated than actual knowledge and hard work.

Advice to Management

Respect and reward hard working staff, people who write papers are not neccessary better, than others, who don't have the time writing papers, look further than the surface, establish more fair peformance measurement.

Showing 18 of 1,031 reviews