CH2M Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CH2M CEO Jacqueline Hinman
Jacqueline Hinman

Pros
Cons
  • Work Life Balance, working hours (in 18 reviews)

• Upper management has no clue what is happening with employees or their career growth (in 38 reviews)

"Horrible Experience Under this Leadership Team"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Denver, CO

I have been working at CH2M full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

CH used to be such a great company. Employee-owned and oriented. The last few years under the current CEO's leadership have destroyed the culture and uniqueness of the company.

Cons

I have personally sat in succession planning meetings where the CEO has mandated a practice of reverse discrimination under the guise of diversity. This has created job security for some that are less qualified but kept in the firm to keep the numbers rising.

The current leadership is full of people that do not understand how to run a portfolio of businesses comprising multiple dissimilar industries. They mandate a one size fits all with respect to client ratio, gross margin, etc.

Advice to Management

Replace those that have led failed businesses and value destruction. The transportation project in Austin has been under the watch of the TBG president for over three years and the failure to get the project under control has resulted in rewarding him with a board position. That is very bad form.

Bring back the days of IDC, eliminate the myriad of upper positions in Denver and allow businesses to thrive in their industry.

The current CEO does not listen and offers no specifics about any industry. Why? Because she has no knowledge and no intent to listen and learn. Stop being a cheerleader and be a leader.

"Buyer Professional 1"

Former Employee - Buyer Professional I in Evendale, OH
    Former Employee - Buyer Professional I in Evendale, OH

I worked at CH2M full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work is very flexible. You are able to work from home 1 to 2 days a week after 6 months - 1 year with the company. This is about the only pro to the job. Decent benefits.

Cons

Within the GE Aviation program (Evendale, OH), management is all over the place and it is frustrating to try and keep up with what exactly they want. They will tell you one thing and do another. There is also high turnover within this program, and for good reason. Morale is very low and they do not care to try and fix this. The office is in a basement and is a horrible environment. Beware taking a job here as you will likely regret it.

Advice to Management

Treat employees better, communicate changes in writing and not just verbally for everyone to forget. Find a new program director for facilities procurement. Advice to corporate is to keep a better eye on employee morale within the program.

"Unequal Employment Opportunity company"

Current Employee - Senior Management in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Management in Denver, CO

I have been working at CH2M full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Are there any at CH2 anymore

Cons

CH2 is no longer the company it used to be.. good employees are having their hours cut so they are forced to quit and therefore CH2 does not have to pay unemployment.. employees that should have been fired, especially the manager that cost CH2 millions because of their incompetence is still employed because of their race/sex.. CH2 needs to understand that an EOE company means just that, equal employment for ALL not just minorities

Advice to Management

Recognition and promotion should be based solely on performance

"Ch2m"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at CH2M full-time

Pros

Good benefits, 401K, PTO, flex...

Cons

Nothing at all. It's a perfect organization.

Advice to Management

None.

"Senior Project Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at CH2M full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Can work on good projects and most people are really good to work with.

Cons

Your success (and raise, promotion, etc) is 100% dependent on who in management likes you and is not related to your performance on the job or how good a job you do or what kind of client ratings you get.

Advice to Management

I hope management actually reads this. It is meant in a constructive manner not a critical manner.
    You have way too many middle & upper middle people (managers and "special" positions) that do not contribute to the bottom line. They talk a good story but do not actually produce or contribute to results. They hinder more than anything else because they are too self serving. Hopefully you will see through the BS one of these days.

From my (past) position in the company, it appears Apollo is running the company, not the executive team. You keep talking about taking back the company, well take it back from Apollo and actually manage the company. You will not need to sell the company if you manage it right. Employee ownership has many advantages having worked for both employee and publically owned companies.
    One last comment: Please read the Little Yellow Book. I think you have lost your way or just getting too greedy and this presents some good basic guidelines that you should be following.

"Something has gone very wrong here."

Former Employee - Environmental Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Environmental Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at CH2M full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours are very useful for some employees...
    Thats about it...

Cons

Non-competitive pay for an engineer when there are other options out there.
    Always having to line up work for yourself is very tiresome, shouldn't that be your managers job?
    Reorganization and layoffs have led to low morale.
    No overhead, so if you are slow you have to use PTO...that is ridiculous.
    Constantly cutting perks and benefits...do you think we don't notice?

Advice to Management

High turnover is more expensive than paying your employees a competitive wage. Our office lost junior staff faster than they could replace them, which makes the problem of being top-heavy even worse. You are clearly doing something wrong guys.

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clarksville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clarksville, TN

I worked at CH2M full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Workers! Team members are excellent! Managers are lost! I still believe to this day that Mrs. Hinman inherited an absolute mess. The bow effect of her predecessors. She is trying her darndest and I applaud her efforts.

Cons

It is so sad CH2M Lost its way. I truly believe their days as a legitimate and solid company are numbered. When I joined this company in 2005 it was one of a kind. They used to care about people. Not any more. Too many cuts on the backs of hourly employees. They are the backbone and the company has forgot that. Too many levels of management. Most of the mangers do not know the utilities business nor are true leaders of people. It is very sad to say but they do not seem to treat veterans with much respect. At least immediate management. This should have been grounds for their termination but HR never does the right thing. So sad.

Advice to Management

Reduce overall number of managers. Again, too top heavy. Fire the ones who do not have a clue. Too top heavy. Recruit more veterans and treat them with respect. Especially those with disabilities. Go back in time and become the company you were. It is not too late.

"Never join this company as full time"

Former Employee - IT Consultant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at CH2M full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I would suggest never to join this company

Cons

I think they just believe in hire and fire

Advice to Management

Respect your full time employees. And respect their new ideas.

"Great Company Falling Apart"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at CH2M full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CH2M had a great brand in the industry and some great people but the recent reorganization (which has been significant) is tearing everything apart. Still have a good technical team but that team is shrinking every week. Good work-from-home concept.

Cons

Environmental group now been run by Jacobs EPC leaders who know little about environmental. Over 1000 people recently left, but most of the long-term CH2M dead weight is still in place because severance would be too high. Environmental group leadership was bad but still profitable, but has gotten worse with the drastic reorganization. Reduced number of account managers significantly (in some markets >70% reduction), so clients are feeling the pain with less good client facing people and less technical doers. The $300 Million loan from Apollo is driving a major push to prepare to go public with Apollo/Bain seemingly making decisions on how to restructure. Only short term wins seem to matter, and cost reductions are constant, like the 1000+ staff reductions since November. Leadership is bad at all levels, from the CEO, to the Jacobs management hires who know little about CH2M core business and clients. What once was a highly ethical and well branded company is now gone - as you have everyone fending for themselves as layoffs have been fairly constant and a new structure that is hard to understand. I know hundreds of people who still work there and none seem happy and most would leave in a heartbeat if they get a good offer. Shipped many jobs oversees - from finance to procurement - and client projects get hit for excessive hours from people who don't seem to know what they are doing. I had a procurement person charge 8 hours to my client project to setup a new vendor and 6 hours from a finance person for creating an invoice. Also, drive for staff to be 100% billable has a lot of staff taking vacation if they can't find work, which doesn't seem right. People without staffing experience are in key staffing roles - which leads to some unethical behaviors. Sad to see a great company fall so quickly.

Advice to Management

Time for a new CEO but it may be too late to save the brand. Private equity wants to go public and is 100% about reducing costs so I understand how a new CEO may be too late to save the company from the insane reorg. All the hires from Jacobs have provided little value but lots of talk. Lisa made sure that all of the Jacobs hires had major roles in the new org, including leading areas that they are not familiar with, so unless that changes I expect the company to continue to fall apart. Your employees are looking to leave in masses - more CH2M resumes on the street than ever.

"Shameful executive leadership"

Current Employee - Business Development Lead in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Business Development Lead in Denver, CO

I have been working at CH2M full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers, those who are left. Flexible working conditions, including hours and location. Brand is still fairly strong in the marketplace, at least as it relates to technical capability. Reputation for solvency is another matter entirely. Clients and competitors are taking notice.

Cons

Executive leadership. We are in a financial bind - for a number of reasons - yet the top tier of the organization keeps growing, and growing and growing - with people who offer little value, siphon already tight sales and project budgets, and impose processes and values that are not in keeping with CH2M's little yellow book. We could save some time and simply rename the firm "Jacobs #2". The behaviors exhibited by some of these newer folks in some cases are absolutely shameful. The corporate sales org in particular is an embarrassment in its treatment of staff and its utter lack of respect for others, in general. Absolutely shameful.

Advice to Management

Offering advice seems a waste of time given the absolute arrogance and apparent disregard and lack of respect exhibited by CH2M execs. I fear if the ownership model or project losses don't kill us, the law suits from former employees will. It is sickening to watch things slowly crumble as leadership drive around in their Maseratis and continue to pull down their massive salaries and bonuses while cutting everyone and everything else to the bone. Shameful.

Showing 141 of 1,006 reviews