CH2M "senior management" Reviews | Glassdoor

CH2M Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Updated Jul 2, 2019

3.5
CH2M CEO Jacqueline Hinman
Jacqueline Hinman
Pros
Cons
  • "Need a little better communication from upper management(in 44 reviews)

• "Traffic accidents were high, but senior management did not follow through on employee recommendations(in 34 reviews)

Reviews about "senior management"

Return to all Reviews

"Tool Install Designer"

Former Employee - Tool Install Designer in Lehi, UT

I worked at CH2M full-time for more than a year

Pros

Many different locations across US and World Managers willing to help with personal growth Tons of online training available Average to High pay for industry

Cons

Working at Client site, projects are unpredicatble so jobs can be short term Bureaucracy of trying to get certain things accomplished Senior Management in Colorado seemed disconnected from our operations.

Advice to Management

Operations throughout the company are completely different yet they try to make them all equal. Either bring them and have very fortified central operations, or let them be on their own and give them the ability to control how they operate.

CH2M2016-10-07

"Not as good a company as I thought prior to working for them"

Former Contractor - Occupational Health and Safety Specialist in Hanford, WA

I worked at CH2M for less than a year

Pros

Got to see the Hanford Nuclear Reservation and the Tri-cities, WA.

Cons

Inefficient. Hours started at 5:45 a.m. to 4 or 4:30 p.m. since they work 4-10 hour days. Workers would come dragging in in the dark, tired, which is not good since they worked with dangerous equipment and hazardous waste. The site was very large and quite far from town, yet the extra travel time was not paid for. Mgmt talked about ethics, but their ethics officer did not seem to know what ethics was. Snow days... were not compensated. Overworked mgrs. Inconsistent information or poor planning--some would tell us one thing, but someone else would contradict them the next day. Offices were in many trailers across the site. Windy, with dust blowing often. Poor signage, if any--hard to navigate or find a specific trailer. Roads and lots in poor repair, hazardous waste grounds were placed every which way, building fragments may not have been removed completely. Traffic accidents were high, but senior management did not follow through on employee recommendations.

Advice to Management

Make better decisions. If a building called the Plutonium Finishing Plant is being dismantled, ensure that new employees or visitors do not enter the area by accident, and that loose rad material is not able to be blown around with the high winds, contaminating other areas. Work together with infrastructure and DOE to put up road signs, legible building labels, current warning signs. Try to keep knowledgeable... people, especially since the on-boarding training takes months. Listen to your people. Reduce/eliminate the fear of reprisals. Be concerned about the bigger hazards first, then the smaller ones.

CH2M2019-07-02
  3. "Bright future after a long decline"

I have been working at CH2M full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Employee culture is passionate about the clients and the environment. Strong company culture promoting values and diversity.

Cons

Senior management has been an undisciplined club in recent years, and it shows in the poor health of the company - but positive change is coming.

CH2M2017-11-05

"Falling apart"

Current Employee - Vice Pesient

I have been working at CH2M full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people who want to do their best. Staff is absolutely committed to it's clients. Not only do staff want to do their best, but they are absolutely many of the best in the world in their respective disciplines. There is no doubt about this.

Cons

The CEO and senior management team have changed the heart and soul of the company. The new structure is really an EPC model that marginalizes the value of people and their relationships with clients and each other. Management says the opposite but that's just them trying to put a good spin on the restructure. Senior management is simply too far away from actually serving our clients and have followed the advice... and direction from a relative newcomer to CH2M to lead BD activities and take her direction in restructuring the company to look like Jacobs. Unfortunately, Jacobs is principally an EPC firm not a consulting firm like CH. Senior leadership stresses how our restructuring is leading the market and the CH is the only firm using this new model. There's a good reason that no other consulting company follows this model. It's not new - it's just the wrong model for a consulting business. As a result of these changes, many top technical staff and managers have left and many, many more are weeks to a couple of months away from leaving. Leadership was "surprised" to see folks leaving in droves - literally. If our leadership really understood our clients and our business, this shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone.

Advice to Management

Senior leadership should strongly reconsider the new business structure before most of the top talent leaves and the value of CH with them. Leadership was surprised to see the large number of leaders leaving from all segments of the firm. This shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone - if leadership had only listened and not surrounded themselves with "yes" people. For the sake of our clients, staff, and value of... CH2M to our shareholders, please roll back the structural changes. Unless this happens, I'm convinced CH will completely unravel and with it thousands of jobs and the livelihoods for their families.

CH2M2017-02-14

"Slow death of a once great company.."

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager

I have been working at CH2M full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Junior staff have many opportunities to work on a diverse portfolio of projects. Good series of client contracts. Co-workers are, in total, smart, fun and ethical.

Cons

Senior technical talent thinking of coming on board should run away and run away fast. Unsupported unless you are in a very small select group, management has given up on true innovation (despite what they claim), funding for conferences is minimal and focus is on next month not on long term growth. In addition, senior technical staff are expected to be highly billable, even when they had been given OH roles. ... Management cuts overhead and if you don't have enough billable work you are expected to use your vacation (I kid you not)-- note senior management has no problem spending OH dollars. I have been at CH2 for 18 years and it went from a phenomenal company, focused on its clients and people, to a company whose senior management focuses on themselves. Poorly run for about a decade. Project Managers basically dead end at a certain level due to lack of opportunity. The recent reorganization resulted in many very good people let go (not for performance or workload reasons) and done so in a classless manner. Basically if you were not politically connected you were at risk. Talent is leaving in droves (including senior VP level management who ended up on the wrong side of the reorganization). Various internal tools are a nightmare to work with and support functions outsourced over seas, resulting in massive time wasting. Losing money on some bad projects and senior management keeps telling staff at their quarterly propaganda meetings they have it managed. Unless senior leadership changes, this is a doomed ship. If you have 15 years or more experience avoid CH2M like the plague. Advice to junior staff-- get 2 years of experience and move on, unless you see significant change at the top.

Advice to Management

Instead of quoting the "Little Yellow Book" written by one of our amazing founders, you should actually try to live by its philosophy. Stop making people take vacation for drop in workload, even when they have been billing client overtime in previous weeks. The reorganization is going to fail as the structure is inefficient and cronies placed in leadership roles, instead of staff who know what they are doing. ... Go back to the companies roots. Walk the talk..right now senior management has lost the trust of its front line leaders and many clients are noticing. Step aside and let someone else lead who knows how. Right now you're lucky you still have good client base and loyal (though not appreciated) staff that keep the engine cranked. You are on a precipice that unless you turn it around by Q2, these clients and loyal staff will be moving on.

CH2M2017-01-04

"Culture Change"

Staff Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at CH2M for more than 3 years

Pros

Great team effort of hard working employees.

Cons

Senior management cares more about bottom line rather than employees.

Advice to Management

While the bottom line may be important, shouldn't forget the hard working people that go you there.

CH2M2016-06-16

"On the Decline"

Former Employee - Civil Engineer III in Sacramento, CA

I worked at CH2M full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- large firm with a mix of opportunities for young engineers - work-from-home flexibility, good for parents

Cons

- Actual office culture is depressing. Coworkers are generally resigned to be there with a few cheerleaders from corporate. Office culture is a nightmare for millienials - stifling, impersonal, unlikely to be resume-building. - Despite a female CEO, company culture is definitely still an old boys club. Career trajectories for minorities and women seem to stagnate once they reach mid-level. Some diversity at lower... levels, but select few minorities in senior management or executive positions. - Benefits are not good, very expensive for employees and continue to get cut every year. Bonuses are non-existent for anyone but senior level, and even they didn't get bonuses last year "due to poor company performance." - Company seems to be slowly sinking. Brought in outside investors to fix bad investments in the oil industry. Sacrificing their brand of innovation to bland, low-hanging fruit projects. The notion of "employee-owned" is meaningless at this point and no one wants company stock.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't care what employees have to say.

CH2M2016-06-04
  8. "GE PROGRAM at CH2M"

Current Employee - Subcontract Administrator in Batavia, OH

I have been working at CH2M full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good People that care about the customer. Middle management is very helpful.

Cons

Senior Management is very busy chasing new work that they sometimes forget the little people.

Advice to Management

Ge Program is successful because of the people. Trust and acknowledge the value that your people bring to the table.

CH2M2016-03-02

"I've made the best of it"

Current Employee - Structural Engineer III in New York, NY

I have been working at CH2M full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible work schedule immediate collages are outstanding. Work is great all of this is because of the people you work with on a daily basis

Cons

Senior management running the company in Denver are terrible running the company into the ground and taking company benefits to compensate

Advice to Management

No advice you guys have made a lot of money sucking this company dry and pushing us to a minority investor and eliminating the employee ownership model.

CH2M2015-10-10

"Less, Less, Less..."

Current Employee - Senior Designer V in Corvallis, OR

I have been working at CH2M full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Paycheck is steady. From a worms eye view, we are lucky to have a job.

Cons

The CH2M Hill board members appear to only be looking out for themselves and their bank accounts. After working for this company for over 20 years there has been the slow decline of a once great company to work for. Employees used to have 100% paid health benefits, REAL bonuses, REAL raises, a paid 1 month sabbatical every 7 years. Bonuses used to be minimum 13th month (a full extra month paycheck), now we get... a $50 Applebees gift card once a year if we're lucky. Defined 401k employee stock contributions were eliminated and our matching contributions are now reduced for the first time ever (we are getting around 50% matching this year). Raises for longtime employess are far less than cost of living averaging around 1-2%. Our pension plan was eliminated. Less, Less, Less... The management simply does not value its assets which are it's employees. Longevity and seniority mean absolutely nothing whatsoever. Hard work is rarely if ever rewarded or publicly recognized. The disparity between the board member's compensation and the average employee for a "company owned" corporation is 1000 fold. New board members are awarded 25,000 shares to start with. The average long term employee has less than 3,000 shares after 15-20 years. And it would take 13 years for an average employee to match the first year's salary of a newly appointed board member. There is also a massive gap in board member male/female management salary equity. Previous male board members have had a 2-3x compensation package over female board members with longer company history. So either there is a massive inequity among the sexes at the companies highest level or severe corruption of company policies. Simply put, our senior management does not promote a positive example for the rest of us to follow. Talk is cheap, but when it comes down to it, their actions do not match their words. Just look at the difference between board member compensation and ours. Non-employee board members make more than high level employees for attending a few dozen meetings a year. The founders of CH2M Hill are likely rolling over in their graves. They walked among us just like anyone else and treated us as equals. Encouraging us and living a real work example. And they appreciated our work and paid us for it and rewarded our extra efforts graciously and often.

Advice to Management

Take a close look at the difference between board membership and your most valuable "assets" (read the yellow book) and then ask if you feel it is fair. Do board members REALLY deserve to make 3-4 million a year more than the average employees making 50-100k? How much is "Enough" in an "employee owned" company?

CH2M2015-08-25