CHAN Healthcare Auditors Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Sarah Cole

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great talent among their Audit Managers (in 2 reviews)

• Great Resources to complete audits (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Management was stilted under the old regime (prior to Crowe Horwath purchase) (in 5 reviews)

• There is no more work life balance or focus on client relationships and employee development (in 3 reviews)

1. "Manager"

I worked at CHAN Healthcare Auditors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is supportive of personal growth

Cons

Lack of defined paths for progression

2. "IT Audit Manager"

I worked at CHAN Healthcare Auditors full-time

Pros

The on-site team members were great to work with

Cons

The IT audit group is fragmented and does not operate as team

Advice to Management

Senior Managers should have people skills

3. "Overall pretty good"

I have been working at CHAN Healthcare Auditors full-time

Pros

Great salary. Good people to work with. Crowe benefits are very nice.

Cons

Rocky road integrating with Crowe Horwath. Annual review / bonus / promotion process is not very transparent.

"Senior Manager"

Pros

Competitive salary although minimal distinction between manager and senior manager compensation.

Cons

Disconnected and disengaged management lacking basic leadership and employee development skills. Focused on obtaining new clients and not retaining current. Number of audits performed outweighs value added and meeting client needs.

Advice to Management

Solidify and strengthen existing client relationships. Evaluate CHAN management via client leadership feedback. If the client doesn't know the director, VP or SVP to whom you're referring, consider that a red flag.

"5 Years of Dysfunction"

Former Employee - Audit Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Audit Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at CHAN Healthcare Auditors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent starting wage. Great talent among their Audit Managers. Great Resources to complete audits. Annual conferences are a great idea, but are greatly underutilized. Great HR Team.

Cons

Upper Management leaves much to be desired. Bonuses, promotions and annual raises are just as fictitious as unicorns. I’ve seen Directors take credit for subordinate's work to get their bonuses. I had one director who was so verbally abusive, that employees left her team-meetings in tears. There was a lot of turnover during her reign. After I reported her behavior to the VP (in accordance with policy), she was finally demoted, (not fired) and left to work with the team. That process took a whole year. Unfortunately, she was quite disgruntled when she worked with the team, and caused a lot of havoc. I personally experienced a lot of retaliation from her. The new Director took credit for a lot of my work including winning a $300k consulting engagement with the client. The CHAN VP never knew I was responsible for many things my director presented to her. When it came time for bonuses, he never supported his staff. Instead, I was told I was blackballed by the VP for reporting my previous director’s behavior. My director told me that he was quoting the VP when he said employment is at will. There’s been a lot of turnover during his reign as well. I'm leaving CHAN believing I’ve been ripped off for over $15k in lost bonuses and raises that I earned. I firmly believe the future of CHAN as it is currently organized is quite limited if it continues down this current path. Crowe definitely needs to clean firmly house as far as upper management is concerned and start from scratch.

Advice to Management

Crowe needs to fire current management, and start from scratch.

"Inept Management"

Current Employee - Audit Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Audit Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at CHAN Healthcare Auditors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary is very competitive. There are no other positive remarks I can make here.

Cons

Management and direction is nonexistent. My "team" has had nearly 100 percent turnover in the last 10 months with no sign of slowing. Management is absent and does not provide any concrete direction. Audit plan assignments change on a frequent basis without consideration of strengths or weaknesses of the personnel. When guidance is given it is incomplete and has resulted in rework and apologies to the client. Work/life balance commitment is questionable: on one hand you hear about Crowe Horwath's "Work from anywhere, wear anything" initiative and on the other you are told it does not apply to you. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Advice to Management

It is time to get your act together. I have watched good people leave and clients leave. The resounding theme I hear from these instances is management failed to deliver.

7. "Growing organization with many opportunities"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at CHAN Healthcare Auditors (More than 8 years)

Pros

CHAN is a great place to work that has been strengthened by the ownership and influence of Crowe Horwath. Leadership is focused on growing the organization, bringing more opportunities for everyone. Decisions are made with employees in mind. Employees are surveyed annually and their feedback is taken very seriously at the highest levels of the company. I am proud to have been a part of CHAN.

Cons

There has been a lot of change over the past couple of years, and change can be difficult, but these changes are making a better overall organization.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on growth and the quality of the work product, and you will be successful. You hire smart, talented employees; trust them to do the right thing.

"Worst Job Ever"

Former Employee - Finance in Clayton, MO
    Former Employee - Finance in Clayton, MO

I worked at CHAN Healthcare Auditors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to learn the ugly side of business politics because you won't stay with the company. Also a good place to learn how to keep your head down and law low.

Cons

Everything. The leaders don't care. They just wish to be left alone. As a staff member you are dispensable. The CEO is an idiot. The pay is good because of the daily political crap you have to put up with.

"Not Enough Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clayton, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clayton, MO

I have been working at CHAN Healthcare Auditors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary and benefits are generous.

Cons

There is not enough work to keep you busy unless you're an auditor.

"Overall Good experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at CHAN Healthcare Auditors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The corporate office was a great place to work for the most part and there were a lot of committed and hard working professionals. The audit side also employed wonderful people with hearts to serve and mission commitment. The company strategy to focus on developing people was phenomenal! They also paid very well and had a great bonus structure. The annual conference and focus on serving others was also wonderful! Bart Cross and Kurt Held were two very respected leaders at corporate and should be held onto.

Cons

The politics and inability to really get good leaders at the top. There were very few executives that were upstanding professionals leading the company. There was also a lot of red tape in getting things approved and done for being such a small company. There were many layers of management and review.

Even with the cons, my time at CHAN had many positives and I will always be grateful for that experience.

Advice to Management

Good leaders are so critical to the health of the organization. Those at the top usually already know the managers that are not good for the people or the company long term. My advice is to make the tough decisions to move those managers out sooner rather than later. Lastly, empower employees to do what they do best without a lot of micromanagement and red tape. Maximize the talent that is there.