CHAN Healthcare Auditors Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sarah Cole

Pros
  • senior management is very communicative to all of CHAN about progress goals as well as any news that is relevant to the company as a whole (in 4 reviews)

• There are ample opportunities for learning, including an annual conference in a select location (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Faith based means fundamentalist religion according to an elite few within the company (in 6 reviews)

• There is no more work life balance or focus on client relationships and employee development (in 3 reviews)

1. "Growing organization with many opportunities"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at CHAN Healthcare Auditors (More than 8 years)

Pros

CHAN is a great place to work that has been strengthened by the ownership and influence of Crowe Horwath. Leadership is focused on growing the organization, bringing more opportunities for everyone. Decisions are made with employees in mind. Employees are surveyed annually and their feedback is taken very seriously at the highest levels of the company. I am proud to have been a part of CHAN.

Cons

There has been a lot of change over the past couple of years, and change can be difficult, but these changes are making a better overall organization.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on growth and the quality of the work product, and you will be successful. You hire smart, talented employees; trust them to do the right thing.

"5 Years of Dysfunction"

Former Employee - Audit Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Audit Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at CHAN Healthcare Auditors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent starting wage. Great talent among their Audit Managers. Great Resources to complete audits. Annual conferences are a great idea, but are greatly underutilized. Great HR Team.

Cons

Upper Management leaves much to be desired. Bonuses, promotions and annual raises are just as fictitious as unicorns. I’ve seen Directors take credit for subordinate's work to get their bonuses. I had one director who was so verbally abusive, that employees left her team-meetings in tears. There was a lot of turnover during her reign. After I reported her behavior to the VP (in accordance with policy), she was finally demoted, (not fired) and left to work with the team. That process took a whole year. Unfortunately, she was quite disgruntled when she worked with the team, and caused a lot of havoc. I personally experienced a lot of retaliation from her. The new Director took credit for a lot of my work including winning a $300k consulting engagement with the client. The CHAN VP never knew I was responsible for many things my director presented to her. When it came time for bonuses, he never supported his staff. Instead, I was told I was blackballed by the VP for reporting my previous director’s behavior. My director told me that he was quoting the VP when he said employment is at will. There’s been a lot of turnover during his reign as well. I'm leaving CHAN believing I’ve been ripped off for over $15k in lost bonuses and raises that I earned. I firmly believe the future of CHAN as it is currently organized is quite limited if it continues down this current path. Crowe definitely needs to clean firmly house as far as upper management is concerned and start from scratch.

Advice to Management

Crowe needs to fire current management, and start from scratch.

"Inept Management"

Current Employee - Audit Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at CHAN Healthcare Auditors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary is very competitive. There are no other positive remarks I can make here.

Cons

Management and direction is nonexistent. My "team" has had nearly 100 percent turnover in the last 10 months with no sign of slowing. Management is absent and does not provide any concrete direction. Audit plan assignments change on a frequent basis without consideration of strengths or weaknesses of the personnel. When guidance is given it is incomplete and has resulted in rework and apologies to the client. Work/life balance commitment is questionable: on one hand you hear about Crowe Horwath's "Work from anywhere, wear anything" initiative and on the other you are told it does not apply to you. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Advice to Management

It is time to get your act together. I have watched good people leave and clients leave. The resounding theme I hear from these instances is management failed to deliver.

"Worst Job Ever"

Former Employee - Finance in Clayton, MO
    Former Employee - Finance in Clayton, MO

I worked at CHAN Healthcare Auditors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to learn the ugly side of business politics because you won't stay with the company. Also a good place to learn how to keep your head down and law low.

Cons

Everything. The leaders don't care. They just wish to be left alone. As a staff member you are dispensable. The CEO is an idiot. The pay is good because of the daily political crap you have to put up with.

"Not Enough Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clayton, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clayton, MO

I have been working at CHAN Healthcare Auditors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary and benefits are generous.

Cons

There is not enough work to keep you busy unless you're an auditor.

"Overall Good experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at CHAN Healthcare Auditors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The corporate office was a great place to work for the most part and there were a lot of committed and hard working professionals. The audit side also employed wonderful people with hearts to serve and mission commitment. The company strategy to focus on developing people was phenomenal! They also paid very well and had a great bonus structure. The annual conference and focus on serving others was also wonderful! Bart Cross and Kurt Held were two very respected leaders at corporate and should be held onto.

Cons

The politics and inability to really get good leaders at the top. There were very few executives that were upstanding professionals leading the company. There was also a lot of red tape in getting things approved and done for being such a small company. There were many layers of management and review.

Even with the cons, my time at CHAN had many positives and I will always be grateful for that experience.

Advice to Management

Good leaders are so critical to the health of the organization. Those at the top usually already know the managers that are not good for the people or the company long term. My advice is to make the tough decisions to move those managers out sooner rather than later. Lastly, empower employees to do what they do best without a lot of micromanagement and red tape. Maximize the talent that is there.

"Dont believe the hype"

Current Employee - Audit Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at CHAN Healthcare Auditors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rate of pay is competitive and if you get a good client and can ignore the chaos in St. Louis, you will be fine.

Cons

Like a prior person noted, there was a rash of raving reviews all around the same time. Don't believe the hype. The company is in turmoil. Senior Leadership fights amongst each other and openly criticizes each other in team calls and in front of others. All of the consulting team has quit. These were great people! I thought we were to be highly specialized in focused areas, but seeing what has happened to consulting, I think that may be a bad idea. My client is asking me why the CEO is saying that CHAN has 200+ consultants when they know they don't. My client interviewed me before I got hired and they worry that they will lose their dedicated team. Chaos is hurting associates and clients alike. There is no more work life balance or focus on client relationships and employee development. The current strategy is only going to work if CHAN cheats their clients and disrespects their associates.

Advice to Management

Crowe needs to get control and reconsider whether current CHAN Leadership cuts the mustard. I would recommend they take action before CHAN hurts them in the wallet - like they already have!

"Think Before You Act"

Former Employee - Senior Auditor in Clayton, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Auditor in Clayton, MO

I worked at CHAN Healthcare Auditors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They have a decent starting salary and annual raises plus a bonus program. However, the bonus program is not as good as it is portrayed in the interview process. If you get placed at a decent client and can avoid senior management you will be all right. Clients with five or less on site auditors are ideal, anything more than that you risk senior management interference. Make sure you ask how many years remain before the client contract is up for renewal.

Cons

This is as dysfunctional an organization as there has ever been and that includes Crowe Horwath and CHAN leadership. The CHAN CEO is not a leader and is surrounded with “yes” people that are more concerned with eliminating perceived threats than running a business. In a span of six months, they have gutted the consulting area to the point that only a minimal number of consultants remain from the prior regime and have attempted to alter the current core model to match that of Crowe, a traditional large scale consulting firm. Crowe and CHAN leadership function in a top down management style and if you question anything your career is on the line. Healthy dialogue is discouraged and will be held against you. Do not believe the recruiter when they say CHAN is different from a large consulting firm and they describe employees as a family and the work as “with a purpose”. You will hear both when interviewing.

Advice to Management

Crowe – Let CHAN run their business. Do not try to fit a square peg into a round hole. Replace the current senior leadership team as fast as possible. CHAN – The current senior leadership team should step aside and let someone who knows what they are doing take over.

"Counter to Positive Reviews"

Former Employee - Audit Manager in Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
    Former Employee - Audit Manager in Grosse Pointe Farms, MI

I worked at CHAN Healthcare Auditors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is interesting seeing a bunch of positive reviews posted within a relatively short period of time (July-August, 2015). I sense there was a push internally to post positive reviews. I worked at CHAN for more than three years and there was both good and bad to the position. Your experience will depende largely on your client and your immediate leadership; this can vary significantly. In general, there is good work/life balance and decent starting pay. There are ample opportunities for learning, including an annual conference in a select location. Local management generally views audit favorably and so there is a sense of being needed (again, this will depend upon your location).

Cons

Management was stilted under the old regime (prior to Crowe Horwath purchase). The CEO was an ego-maniac who fed on praise and agreement of his inner circle. Variable pay was bragged about; however, it was unclear what had to be done to receive the bonus. Peronally, I exceeded all goals in multiple years and never received a bonus. Promotions are entirely dependent upon your ability to move to a new city or to someone above you leaving in your assigned client. Otherwise, you're staying put. Raises are puny and not worth it. At times, the home office in St. Louis can be controlling and anal about insignificant things. Overall, CHAN is not a bad place to work but it has significant drawbacks that should be considered.

Advice to Management

Be more open and forthcoming than the previous CEO. Share success (financially) with more of those who contribute. Be clear about what needs to be done to achieve rewards, and then stand up to your commitment at the right time.

11. "Data Analytics Audit Senior Manager"

Current Employee - Data Analytics Audit Senior Manager in Mountain Top, PA
    Current Employee - Data Analytics Audit Senior Manager in Mountain Top, PA

I have been working at CHAN Healthcare Auditors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work independently and provide quality audit services to our clients. Access to up-to-date technology, audit tools and knowledge. I have worked for CHAN for 14 years and I have only seen the company act in a positive, ethical manner. Work life balance is stressed and encouraged.

Cons

None come to mind. CHAN is very supportive of their employees.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you've been doing.