CHARFEN Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Alex Charfen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The growth of this company, opportunity for advancement and ability to help people everyday is more rewarding than any career I've had previously (in 3 reviews)

• Friendly coworkers and Team Leaders, Fast paced environment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • If you consider a fast paced environment a con, you may want to look elsewhere (in 8 reviews)

• I saw employee after employee lose their job for not drinking the Kool aid (in 4 reviews)

1. "It's all in the details."

Former Employee - Corporate Trainer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Corporate Trainer in Austin, TX

I worked at CHARFEN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I always liked coming to work and felt energized.
    Friendly coworkers and Team Leaders, Fast paced environment.
    Felt a sense of belonging and importance.

Cons

The position eventually ended which of course is a con.

2. "Tech Savvy Group"

Current Employee - Market Research Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Market Research Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at CHARFEN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small teams to work with.
    Respected by peers.
    Opportunity for advancement for those who demonstrate strengths.

Cons

Location of office.
    Long-term job outlook unknown.

3. "Rockstar Employment"

Current Employee - Senior Web Developer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Web Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at CHARFEN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great business outlook.
    Personable CEO.
    I have been working at Charfen full-time (2 years).
    Great culture of technology, accountability and customer service focused. Good mix of stability and entrepreneurial spirit.

Cons

Maybe not a cool as a startup with stock options and perks which come with that.

4. "A company you want to come to each day."

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Austin, TX

I have been working at CHARFEN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love working with the team with no micro-management. Great respect shown among employees and managers.

Cons

Really no downsides. Nice all-around play to work.

Advice to Management

Thank you!

"Employment at Charfen"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at CHARFEN full-time

Pros

The company's culture is casual and fun. Employees work autonomously. Management style is "hands off".

Cons

The company is in a period of transition, so the direction and goals of the organization are constantly changing and are unclear to the employees. The owners are poor managers and often behave unprofessionally.

Advice to Management

Stick with what you know and what made your company successful in the first place.

6. "A job you want to come to each day."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at CHARFEN full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Entrepreneurial group of individuals to collaborate with. Charfen inspires and enables each and every person to succeed. Very dynamic atmosphere.

Cons

While there are individual merits given for achievements. Maybe get creative with more.

"Glassdoor can keep removing them, but we won't stop."

I worked at CHARFEN part-time

Pros

Not a whole lot to say here. You get paid and all that, but not valued and you are disposable.

Cons

It's a cult atmosphere and toxic environment for someone looking to create a difference with their work and move forward with their career. It's a educational and business coaching company with little to no tactics and overall success. It feels like you are working for an infomercial and a scam.

Advice to Management

Shut the doors. It's time.

"Interesting place to work..."

I worked at CHARFEN full-time

Pros

Cool co-workers, nice office, able to take on lots of responsibility

Cons

cultish and paranoid CEO. a pseudo-positive company culture forced on everyone - it was incredibly fake

"Your Worst Nightmare"

I worked at CHARFEN full-time

Pros

You get to go home every day. You can laugh at how insane the place is with other employees behind executive members' backs. Your friends will really get a kick out of you working for a cult. You will receive some money. You'll get a firsthand account of how not to run a company

Cons

Horrendous leadership, directionless, not profitable. The company is constantly losing money. They want you to eat, dress and speak in a certain way. There is no room for creativity. You must do as you're told or get out. Ironically, they say that they inspire creativity and welcome transparent criticism. This is a lie. I saw employee after employee lose their job for not drinking the Kool aid. The exec team holds meetings every day where nothing gets done. You will be driven crazy by the amount of work you do that never gets used. The people in leadership don't actually understand how social media or marketing work but they believe they're experts and constantly make fun of other more successful companies and marketers. The events you'll have to sit through are an intolerable bragfest where leaderships spews lies about how the company operates and how well it's performing. The only people who can last at this company are the overpaid exec members who endure the torture and keep their mouths shut because the money's worth it.

Advice to Management

Stop lying about how this company operates. Stop writing fake, positive Glassdoor reviews and then responding to them with enthusiasm. Stop trying to get people to pay thousands of dollars for tactic-less, non-sensical, unhelpful coaching. Stop treating your employees like garbage, pushing them out, then telling everyone else it "wasn't a culture fit." Purchase bigger lu lu lemon shirts. Stop having meetings about meetings and creating process documents about process documents. Settle on a single strategy and stick with it. Stop saying you're a creative environment when there is always only one person calling the shots (we know who that is). Stop saying you want constructive criticism and firing anyone who gives it to you. Stop treating every single video like it's Home Shopping Network. Stop robotically saying the same catch phrases and buzzwords 5,000,000 times per day. Stop talking badly about the clients who need help the most. Stop guilting people for going on lunch breaks or leaving at 5:00 PM. Stop letting children run around the office screaming and singing and crying. Stop thinking that you're helping people. Stop pretending like you're a celebrity. Find some humility. Get rid of that exec member that belittles everyone beneath him and considers himself a genius. Stop responding to reviews like this with things like "we're sorry you didn't have a positive experience, we're constantly working on improving our transparency and bla bla bla." You are not constantly working on improving. You are staying the same. Hundreds of people have said horrible things all over the internet for years and they're saying those things for a reason.

"Without Question The Most Inspiring Work Environment I've Ever Experienced"

Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Austin, TX

I have been working at CHARFEN full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Alex Charfen is one of the smartest, most eccentric, most exciting, and most generous individuals I have ever known. Working with and along side him is both inspiring and awe inspiring - I've never witnessed someone who could perform at such a consistently high level from the moment he steps foot in the office to the moment he leaves.

The team Alex has built around him is amazing. The aptitude bar is set incredibly high - I have worked with some talented individuals, but the level of excellence Alex has attracted is, at time, just mind-boggling.

One of the things that struct me from the first moments of being employed here is that Alex truly cares about his team. I have seen him take time from his ever-busy schedule to personally guide employees (and non-employees) who reach out for assistance. And he cares just as much about helping the guy who delivers packages as he does about helping his COO.

Lastly, as the father of 2 kids, it is AMAZING to feel so supported as a parent. For Alex, family comes first, and he has continually been supportive of me making time to be there for my kiddos (for important life events, for health emergencies, for just taking time to be with them, etc)

Cons

Without question, this is a fast paced environment, and things can change on a moments notice. For the right person, this can fuel excitement. For the wrong person, this could fuel resentment.

CHARFEN Response

Dec 27, 2016 – CHARFEN

Thank you for this review! We're honored to have you as part of the team.