CHI Franciscan Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Ketul J. Patel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Nice coworkers, good pay and benefits (in 11 reviews)

• Very competitive pay and good benefits (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is really short sighted (in 6 reviews)

• New leadership and an industry in constant change has resulted in an almost non-existent work-life balance (in 3 reviews)

1. "APC"

Current Employee - APC in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - APC in Seattle, WA

I have been working at CHI Franciscan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Growing company. New opportunities. Seeking to be APC inclusive

Cons

No bonuses. Compensation model very difficult to fully abstain if you have limited support (9% of pay is withheld and only given quarterly if all marks obtained)

Advice to Management

Needs to be less Tacoma centralized for services such as labs and leadership. Management needs to have reviews quarterly by providers. Providers should be part of local governing committees.

2. "Good people, bad job"

Former Employee - Laboratory in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Laboratory in Tacoma, WA

I worked at CHI Franciscan full-time

Pros

Good pay for my job type
    PTO is good
    The staff really care about each other and the patients

Cons

- For starters, they love to trumpet their "mission" and "values" any chance they get but anyone who works here knows that all they care about is profit.
    - I guess they think that saying they want to be "the best place to work" makes it true
    -Understaffing is a huge issue
    - Turnover is incredibly high. Everyone else from the group I was hired with has quit
    - Everything is politics. I have seen hardworking, well-liked employees get fired for unbelievably stupid reasons - when we were already running short constantly. Other people seem to get away with everything because the manager likes them
    - Getting a good manager is just luck of the draw
    - They keep buying hospitals but selling off outpatient departments
    - Serious safety concerns are hand waived away
    - Upper management is really short sighted... they are glad to save a couple bucks where they can, even if it loses contracts or clients in the long run
    - Morale is terrible and nothing is done to help. In fact, what little "employee appreciation" measures there are keep getting cut
    - Raises aren't good
    - you get the feeling that all they really care about are the doctors
    - Random rule changes that seem to be based on whatever the manager's pet peeve that week is.

Advice to Management

If you want the patients to be happy, you have to make your staff happy. Hire more people, do what it takes to retain good employees. Micromanaging and pushing already exhausted people further is not a solution. You are a nonprofit hospital, so stop trying to pinch every penny to turn more profit every year. You can't will people into being proud to work for you. "Thanks for all your hard work!" At the end of an email does not constitute appreciating your employees,

3. "PAR"

Former Employee - Par in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Par in Seattle, WA

I worked at CHI Franciscan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Union job. Guaranteed wage increases despite inept and ill-equipped managers.

Cons

Management that changes hands frequently. Employee turnover is huge due to this.

Advice to Management

Hire the right management personnel in the first place. It got real old real fast.

4. "Great place to work"

I have been working at CHI Franciscan full-time

Pros

Everybody is nice at work and willing to help.

Cons

Bureaucracy sometimes works against the company goal

Advice to Management

Hire people with skills that fulfills roles and responsibilities...

5. "RN Wound Care Coordinator"

Current Employee - RN Wound Care Coordinator in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - RN Wound Care Coordinator in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at CHI Franciscan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, my work has no weekends cause I work in a clinic. It is hard for me to find anything good about this company. It is a struggle.

Cons

Always low census. Does not support education. You have to pay out of pocket first before they reimburse. We do not have enough hours. Manager has favoritism

Advice to Management

More staffing please. They always want good patient satisfaction but does not provide ample staff to provide care. I work in the clinic and I was hired for 40 hours per week but that does not happen anymore. If there are no patient's you go home. Hard on the paycheck. They dont care about employee satisfaction.
    Adds more management staff but not the regular staff.

6. "Administrative Coordinator"

Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator
    Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator

I have been working at CHI Franciscan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is the best job I've ever had. It is all relative to what you were doing before. To me, they have a very organized system and I'm amazed how it all works together. While it's true they have cut staff down to the bone and everyone is extremely busy, I love what I do and enjoy the people here.

Cons

Short-staffed and expected to do the work of 2 or 3 people but not get any overtime so you cane get it all done.

Advice to Management

Help your admin staff help the managers, nurses, and doctors, etc., by hiring more people so everyone is not so stressed out all the time. However, I still love it here.

7. "Good place to work"

I worked at CHI Franciscan full-time

Pros

Competitive benefits and staff. Staff seems friendly and gets along well.

Cons

Too much growth too fast and trying to catch up

Advice to Management

Try to plan long term growth better

8. "14 years and counting!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at CHI Franciscan full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked for CHI Franciscan for over 14 years. When I think about what attracted me to Franciscan initially - it was their values and their mission. What I wondered before I started was if those were just statements on paper or if the organization really stood by their values and mission and it was demonstrated by their workforce - especially their leaders. What I have found over the years is that they do! Our organization attracts people who have similar values and a passion for our mission - to be the BEST healthcare organization and to serve our patients no matter what. I experience this passion every day in my interactions with leaders and front line employees. I am inspired by the dedication of everyone who works here from those who do hands on patient care to those who ensure our facility is clean and safe. While I have had some tough days at work, we all do, when I think about what brings me to work every day it is simple. I am proud of the work I do and the difference I make every day and being a part of something so important that touches so many lives. Come make a difference with us!

Cons

Our growth has presented some challenges with branding. It is difficult to keep up with who is now a part of CHI-Franciscan with all of the recent acquisitions of local stand alone hospitals and clinics.

9. "Awesome"

I have been working at CHI Franciscan full-time

Pros

Awesome place to work with great benefits

Cons

Some disconnect between leadership and providers

"Struggling with Retention"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at CHI Franciscan full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Diversity is strong and work culture is great among my fellow team of nurses, at least in the specific area that I work in. Great place to start out if you're a newer nurse, but definitely assess your own needs and expectations if you're a more experienced nurse (you may find a better deal, with better resources, working some where else).

Cons

I have worked for St. Francis in Federal Way for over 5 years now and was hired during an interesting time when there was quite a bit of turn over due to nurses retiring or seeking other opportunities. I think this is the case for most facilities. I think they handled this in the best way they could, but nurse staffing shortages were common. Year after year there seemed to be more turn overs, even with newer nurses that had completed their residencies. Most of the time this was because they sought higher education or similar opportunities. More experienced nurses (5 plus years of experience in some cases) would leave for better benefits and pay, which is not very competitive for the area, especially compared to the rise in the Seattle market. There is rarely incentive to stay- there are no bonuses and no benefits to being a long term employee (except that you get a better set schedule, which was the case for me). St. Francis is considered a stepping stone for most incoming nurses who are coming in as new-grads seeking a residency. I'm not sure if this is something new or not, but I feel that recognition, retention, and overall appreciation for employees has fallen to one of the bottom-most priorities. I think this definitely harming morale and creating negative feelings towards management. I think that supporting experienced staff members should actually be a priority, especially in how high the acuity has grown for this particular facility. It would make sense that they would funnel a little more resources into supporting their nurses if they have active plans to grow (which CHI has demonstrated with its mergers and expansion plans, which includes St. Francis as well).

Advice to Management

Being appreciated does wonders. Don't forget your strong nurses especially on nights. There is a general tendency to favor day shift (especially the very loud and vocal ones) because they interact with management on a daily basis. I think that this also a factor negatively impacting morale and employee retention because of the general opinion that there is favoritism where management is involved.