CHI Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Cliff Robertson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Very focused on patient care and keeping work/life balance for employees (in 6 reviews)

• Fast pace , great people , learning everyday (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • As part of a large national health care system attempting to align all of it's smaller MBOs there is often confusion in relaying national policies (in 4 reviews)

• Administration values productivity over quality of patient care and creates stressful work environment with no work-family balance, forcing people out (in 4 reviews)

1. "Manager"

I have been working at CHI Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with CHI is like working with Family. The family I have through CHI Health is my support. There are also great opportunities for growth and Development within the company as a whole.

Cons

In my opinion, CHI is all about the bottom dollar. They do not always take everything into consideration when determining the amount of staff to complete the work.

Advice to Management

Take employee workload into consideration when assigning budget and and do not base amount of employees based on only numbers.

2. "A fair place"

Former Employee - Mental Health Technician in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Mental Health Technician in Omaha, NE

I worked at CHI Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed the people I worked with, coworkers and patients the like. There was always someone willing to help out when the work load became too heavy. A real family environment

Cons

The pay was a bit lower than what the work entailed. Upper management really had no idea what was going on in my particular part of the hospital.

Advice to Management

Direct management was great but upper management should make themselves more visible

3. "Culture is great, liked growing with CHI"

Former Employee - Biomed Manager in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Biomed Manager in Tacoma, WA

I worked at CHI Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Culture of caring is truly felt through out the company.
    There were a significant amount of growth opportunities.
    Pay is far pretty much mid grade.
    They stay true to their mission of serving the poor and helping anyone.
    I was proud to work there and say I did. Just a good place to work.

Cons

Not anything to complain about that you won't find in any other large health care Org.

4. "Mostly Good"

I worked at CHI Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people to work with. Many locations to work at.

Cons

Instability of healthcare overall and local market flooded with other options.

Advice to Management

Enable Directors to compensate/keep top talent. Equalize the bonus structure so it's not so top heavy.

5. "Toxic organization"

I worked at CHI Health part-time

Pros

Good pay until they cut compensation recently

Cons

Administration values productivity over quality of patient care and creates stressful work environment with no work-family balance, forcing people out. Toxic management!

Advice to Management

Start actually caring about your employees. Quit pressuring them to see more clients and get paperwork done. Act like decent humans!

6. "Healthcare System Transition"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at CHI Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large system / Opportunities for Growth

Cons

Challenging work environments / changing cultures

Advice to Management

Support culture transitions and adjustments.

7. "medical assistant"

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Omaha, NE

I worked at CHI Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

learned a lot and kept your skills up

Cons

didn't implement the values of the company

Advice to Management

be more transparent not so stiff enforce beening a team player

8. "Work comp coordinator\Medical Assistant"

Current Employee - Medical Assistant\Work Comp Coordinator in Council Bluffs, IA

I have been working at CHI Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast pace , great people , learning everyday . I feel appreciated and needed , it's very rewarding knowing I am part of helping people.

Cons

Short staffed and under managed .

Advice to Management

Find a better system to staff clinics

9. "Central Office rebuke"

Former Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Omaha, NE

I worked at CHI Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ In the central office - in human resources you do have the ability to work from home.

+ Fair wage (unless you have student loans or are trying to go back to school. The continuing education reward isn't enough to cover a part time attendee. And the loan forgiveness is only for clinical staff - they will ask for that money back if you don't complete the terms of service)

+ Work/Life balance just okay

+Monthly metric bonuses for recruiters (The only position to allow that. And when you're in the position you are not allowed to communicate that fact to any other employee or department)

Cons

- Lack of opportunity to grow within the company. Usually 5 - 7 years before promotion or growth.

- Massive layoffs in HR this past year. Department went from 200 to 100 with 50 of those working through the national office in Denver

- Snake environment. They were taking recommendations in open meetings about which positions to cut.

- Leadership would purposefully put people on probation around the end of year performance reviews so certain staff members weren't eligible for raise to meet FY budget. (This happened both years I was with the organization)

-Management would encourage staff to give good reviews of the organization even when cutting staff, salaries, etc..

- Lack of trust in the community. Whether it was a poor patient review. janitorial services not getting paid, or physicians leaving because of the hostile environment.

- Every department is secluded from each other (Mktg, HR, Finance, etc..) Very siloed out to prevent sharing of ideas and or information that leadership doesn't want going through organization.

- All of Leadership has accepted end of year bonuses even when it comes to massive lay-offs. (This has happened every year since 2014.)

- Not a young office by any means, they fear millennial ideas and leadership. Often times in a clinical setting they have supervisors who stay way past retirement and this creates an atmosphere where young clinical staff don't want to stay.

-They have almost a 25% turnover rate which is higher than the industry average of 14%.

- They often lose shining millennial talent throughout the organization because of lack of growth and salary flexibility

- In laying off positions throughout the organization they often times don't back-fill those positions but just merge the duties with current employee roles in order to save money. This creates a backlog of work that is often days and sometimes weeks long. (If you have trouble reaching the central office on the phone, that is why.)

- On-site food/ cafe is poorly run and the food is overpriced and very mediocre

- They preach health and fitness to the office but the majority of staff are overweight, over worked, stressed, and disrespected.

- Social media / marketing plan tries to reach out to community from an ivory tower and avoids grassroots campaigns similar to UNMC, Madonna, and Methodists

Advice to Management

Leadership and staff did not come out in support of ACA - Obamacare act. Very conservative principals within the organization which limits it's growth in the long run. Leadership says it cares about community growth but they only operate as a non-profit to appease bond holders who will expand and expand in order to hide massive losses. When it comes to community health their physicians have no trust in the organization and their prices are much higher than local competitors for lower quality of care.

They have a lot of problems with leadership and turnover within the organization. Really starts with the lack of respect from above.

My advice - cater and develop young talent in your organization and display that to the community. The community does not believe that the organization cares.

If I was on my deathbed, I would rather die in the street while it's raining in a dumpster than be treated with the poor care of CHI Health.

10. "When a great company goes south"

I worked at CHI Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some really good manager level employees. Mission is still talked about.

Cons

So many poor leaders and leadership decisions. Haven't had positive money for 4+ years. Overworked and under paid staff and "playing favorites at corporate office" has doomed this once great company.

Advice to Management

Let Dignity buy you. It's the only way to save the ministry.