CHORI (Children's Hospital Oakland Research Institute) Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "CHORI used to be a nice place to work"

I have been working at CHORI (Children's Hospital Oakland Research Institute) (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits and time-off are top-notch. Overall the people are really cool, and we try to have fun, even though it seems we are in a sinking ship...

Cons

Salary is very low for the Bay Area, but there is no money to give any raises. No opportunities for advancement. Planned merger with UCSF is happening, and nobody knows what is going on, so that is frustrating. New management is trying to help, but the past 4 years the management was terrible, so we have to try and dig ourselves out of the hole.

Advice to Management

Please keep us inform as to what is happening. Would be nice to know if we are going to exist in a few years.

"Bus development jobs"

Pros

When it was independent, it was a great org

Cons

As division of the hospital and the merger that happened, CHORI's status uncertain.

3. "Get with it"

I have been working at CHORI (Children's Hospital Oakland Research Institute) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are great; I genuinely like my coworkers and the collaborative environment in my department

Cons

Salaries are ridiculously low for the Bay Area and benefits are not great, either.. To my knowledge, no resources are allocated to alleviate our situation. Systems are antiquated, communication between departments is poor to non-existent and we are paying the price for decades of mismanagement. No room for growth. Very political organization -- it's all about who you know. UCSF is sending a very clear message how much they value us.

Advice to Management

If you want to attract and retain quality employees you have to pay them market rates. Ask for feedback on how employees feel about our jobs. You would get an earful!

"lovely but struggling"

I worked at CHORI (Children's Hospital Oakland Research Institute) full-time

Pros

The people are lovely and the science is great, but management...

Cons

A lot of uncertainty due to merger

Advice to Management

get the financial house in order

"Pockets of excellence in a dying institute"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Oakland, CA

I have been working at CHORI (Children's Hospital Oakland Research Institute) part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great amout of paid time off. Certain PIs (such as mine) are very supportive. Postdocs/other scientific staff are allowed to apply for grants even if they aren't faculty members. Some interesting research going on.

Cons

People are sometimes treated differently depending on their title (looked down upon if they aren't PIs). Salaries are quite low in general. Institute is poorly funded. Some parts of the building are kind of empty/lonely. Not many students/postdocs. Blanket policies are made and exceptions are rare, which is quite frustrating. There has been a mass exodus of postdocs lately, probably due to low salaries/lack of enrichment programs.

Advice to Management

Allow junior personnel (not just PIs) to participate in committees/set policies. Keep in mind that there are exceptions to every rule. Increase salaries of postdocs. Add additional faculty from outside. Boost affiliation with UCSF - this will be attractive to postdocs seeking additional opportunities/enrichment.

6. "Standard lab assistant position"

Pros

It is a supportive work culture

Cons

The work can get tedious.

"Bad work environment"

Current Employee - Post-baccalaureate Scientist in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Post-baccalaureate Scientist in Oakland, CA

I have been working at CHORI (Children's Hospital Oakland Research Institute) (Less than a year)

Pros

Multiple instruments available to use

Cons

Not suitable for graduate students
    Uncertainty of keeping your employment

8. "CHORI"

Pros

Ping-pong tables! People are very friendly and cooperative. There is a good life/work balance and the building is very nice.

Cons

Slow paced and not very well known outside. Also there is no food or coffee close by. No BART super close by.

Advice to Management

More career training is needed and investment no the young scientist.

9. "work at chori"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow

Pros

Nice work place for collaborations.

Cons

Salary is too low for exempt employees. Career growth is slow.

10. "Staff Research Associate 1"

Current Employee - Staff Research Associate I
    Current Employee - Staff Research Associate I

Pros

Interesting research, lots of well-known researchers/PI's, unique institutional history, good introductory job for recent undergraduates (not for postdocs)

Cons

Inefficient management causing obstacles in doing actual research and leaving researchers feeling unsupported by admin/management; management doesn't make an effort to understand researcher's positions and make blanketed policies and decisions that make their lives easier, but actually hurt and hinder researchers' work; older equipment; no position/salary promotion despite increased responsibilities put on researchers

Advice to Management

The institute and management wouldn't exist without the researchers. Many researchers I have spoken to including myself feel like our work is devalued and unsupported by management. Make an effort to understand the full repercussions of your decisions.