CHS Inc Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CHS Inc President and CEO Carl M. Casale
Carl M. Casale

Pros
  • Good work life balance, kind people (in 9 reviews)

• Good Benefits, Reasonable compensation (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Agronomist"

I have been working at CHS Inc full-time

Pros

Love this job. I'm out of the office more often then not helping growers answering questions on there agronomic needs and getting back in touch with the growers and producers. Its a sales job but I don't feel like its a sales job. The best part when its not slow and I need time off for my family there isn't any blow-back from management or my bosses they understand. I know this isn't everywhere but its a nice to feel like I can have a life outside of work.

Cons

The draw back is when things get busy they get really busy in the spring its a 7 day a week job and there isnt enough hours in the day, when its slow its extremely slow.

2. "Outreach - Human Resources"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Inver Grove Heights, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Inver Grove Heights, MN

I have been working at CHS Inc full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best thing about working at CHS is I am valued as an employee. Senior leadership is very intentional about making sure employees are aware of what is happening throughout the businesses and that what I do everyday makes a difference and matters to our member owners.

Cons

The organization is growing and changing all the time. This isn't negative, but sometimes it is hard to keep up. I am excited about all the possibilities this brings to me as an employee!

Advice to Management

Keep the communication and transparency going! It is extremely helpful to understand the big picture!

3. "So much potential with so little accountability"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Inver Grove Heights, MN
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Inver Grove Heights, MN

I worked at CHS Inc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits package is substantial. Its ownership/position in the marketplace allows this company to be profitable in-spite of management.

Cons

Middle management often lack industry experience, talk of organizational accountability but demonstrate inconsistency. Many individual contributors are overworked in specific roles and penalized for not promoting their assigned middle manager. Variable compensation bears little relation to actual individual, group or sub-company performance (they've recently admitted the failures of this and attempted to address this). Middle management and individual contributors are blamed for the occasional industry downturns and decisions of others. Don't plan on moving up unless you know the right person in management. Corporate press releases issued feel misleading to me. If they give you a company phone carry a personal one for your non company communications.

Advice to Management

Set variable compensation to individual and group performance and not business units or corporate statements to ownership. Fund IT. Fund enterprise software. Stop speaking of attracting millennials while not following through with rewarding performance with fair compensation and career development. Stop operating this old school business in such an Uber-esque fashion.

"Energy Sales"

Former Employee - Field Energy Consultant- Sales in Wayland, MI
    Former Employee - Field Energy Consultant- Sales in Wayland, MI

I worked at CHS Inc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are looking for a transitional sales job (not a career!!!), this isn't a bad place to stop. Benefits are decent, nice to have a company car, co-worker's at my branch were all pretty decent to work with.

Cons

DON'T buy into any promises of bonuses and commissions. If coming from a background with a decent bonus / commission structure.... you will not be happy here. Our branch in Hamilton, MI turned over 4 out of 4 Energy Sales Representatives in less than 9 months. Of course management will explain to you that the representatives were the problem. Believe what you want.... (Keep your guard up... and your resume active and updated!)

Advice to Management

Hit the reset button. Don't mention commissions / bonuses to tenured sales people that are familiar with REAL commission structures. CAPPED commissions are a joke, and should be mentioned up front. Tenured Sales people coming in with a good track record would probably benefit more from a bigger emphasis on PRODUCT training, not sales training. This maybe a step (at best) above an entry-level job. To stop the bleeding on retention, either lower your expectations, and higher entry-level candidates, or raise the commission structure for the benefit of the tenured people to keep them motivated, and to keep them with the company.

"CHS - Not recommended employer"

Current Employee - Vice President in Inver Grove Heights, MN
    Current Employee - Vice President in Inver Grove Heights, MN

I have been working at CHS Inc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance. Good compensastion. In some cases, high status people and roles are overpaid and brag about it.

Cons

Culture old and refuses to change. Senior leaders don't trust each other...HR leader not well liked or respected by peers. CHS makes big claims about who they are and want to be but does not follow through. New people are spit out and rejected.

Advice to Management

Work on improving your team dynamics and don't hire great people - they won't stay here. Fix the culture. It's really broken.

"Insecure Middle management at Annawan ethanol facility"

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Annawan, IL
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Annawan, IL

I worked at CHS Inc full-time

Pros

After CHS bought out Patriot Renewable Fuels, benefits improved dramatically.

Cons

upper management allows mid management to intimidate, throw temper tantrums and rage about all matter of work related issues.

Advice to Management

Operators and maintenance technicians should not be brow beat into submission. Worker moral is very low.

8. "Project Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Inver Grove Heights, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Inver Grove Heights, MN

Pros

Stable, conservative, work life balance

Cons

no bonus this year, management

9. "Process Engineer Intern"

Former Employee - Process Engineer Intern in Belgrade, MT
    Former Employee - Process Engineer Intern in Belgrade, MT

I worked at CHS Inc (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture between the process engineers seemed very close and I was welcomed in as soon as I got there. Work environment is friendly and I never felt like I was set up for failure. They definitely eased me in with difficulty of work.

Cons

I never really had a problem as I was simply an intern. I think if I were to work there for longer I might possibly see changes that could be made.

10. "Procurement Merchandiser Intern"

Former Employee - Merchandising Intern in River Falls, WI
    Former Employee - Merchandising Intern in River Falls, WI

I worked at CHS Inc (Less than a year)

Pros

Good environment to work in

Cons

None that I can think of

"Great Company and Great Opportunities"

Current Employee - Human Resources Director in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Human Resources Director in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at CHS Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Organization is faced with major change efforts which only provide great opportunities for those who see change as an opportunity to effect and help mold the organization.

Cons

For those who are change adverse or fear change, perhaps not the right time to join the Organization.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, perhaps at a faster pace.