CIBT Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 21, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Donoghue

Pros
  • Decent benefits, weekends and major holidays off with pay (in 5 reviews)

• Good people to work with, good benefits, off weekends and major holidays, food brought in for employees often (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Cliques, Gossip, Low Pay , but expect you to 1000 % (in 7 reviews)

• Very underpaid for the amount of work consultants and specialists do (in 3 reviews)

1. "Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at CIBT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits were better then some of my employers but that it.

Cons

Think twice about accepting a postion with CIBT. As a former member of management you will just be another number to them and they will work you to the bone without giving you a single thank you. They thank good hard working staff by giving them more work to do. They stress to you that you need to work 8 hours but give you a 10 hour work load and expect everything done and done correctly at the end of your 8 hour shift.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff better and maybe you will not be disliked by every government agency that you work with.

2. "visa consultant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at CIBT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They used to allow overtime when needed

Cons

bad management and work you to death for very little pay. They do not care about their employees but to only make money for the company.

Advice to Management

improve overall HR, Management and culture of the company.

3. "Toxic Workplace"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at CIBT (More than a year)

Pros

Can't think of any...The location could be one (Midtown is easy to commute)

Cons

1. Toxic work space, the workload is heavy with the limited hourly salary.
    2. The management never care about employees. Just experience for a few days and make your decision later...
    3. People talk about each other in the back. The hard working ones always cover the "lazy" ones (Hourly based dilemma). Terrible office culture here
    4. Honestly, this place is the modern day "slavery"....
    5. No upward mobility at all, don't work here unless you can't get job in anywhere else

Advice to Management

treat your employees like human

"Please don't bother working here"

Former Employee - Visa & Passport Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Visa & Passport Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at CIBT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Monday through Friday job (no weekends)
    Company events can be fun
    Get treated to lunch on occasions
    Decent benefits

Cons

Team Leaders are trash. They sit on the phone all day and gossip about the office instead of helping out their team members. The only time they do any "work" is to look for what you did wrong so they can try to get someone written up. They do not take responsibility for anything its always the blame game in that office.
    Management doesn't care. They let the team leads dictate their actions. They do not speak professionally or engage in business conversations. The language is extremely inappropriate.
    Favortism, if you are not liked your job is in jeopardy. They will come for your job in every direction. The environment is extremely stressful. No one likes to help each other. They overwork their good employees and no work is distributed fairly.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your good employees, maybe then your turnover rate won't be so high. Get rid of those team leaders, they are not doing their jobs. Focus on retaining loyal employees and get rid of the dead weight. Be fair.

"Inconsistent"

Former Employee - Visa Processing Agent in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Visa Processing Agent in Houston, TX

I worked at CIBT full-time

Pros

Monday - Friday work week
    OT unlimited

Cons

Messy,inconsistent, uncaring managers, Working here was a nightmare, the sups are never on the floor, they are usually ordering food and eating in the back, Management is inconsistent when it comes to information, and discipline

6. "Abusive company"

Former Employee - Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CIBT (More than a year)

Pros

Nice cowokers, free lunch during bdays and meetings.

Cons

Management think you're a machine.

Advice to Management

Your workers are important too. Without your workers you will no client. Be fair and good with your employees.

"Perhaps worst in the area. Doesn't deserve a single star."

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in McLean, VA

I worked at CIBT (More than 5 years)

Pros

Rapidly growing global company.
    You get pay checks on time i.e. biweekly

Cons

IT:
    Ancient technologies used and engineering is always sacrificed for speed. Senior people don't have clue on what they are doing. Lots of politics and favouritism and nepotism going on. Pay is below by 20% if not more for the area. Domain knowledge that you will gain is useless and cannot be applied anywhere.

Company as a whole:
    Pay is terrible.
    Bare minimum PTO 13 days for first 3 yrs and then 18 days a year including sick leave.
    Insurance is a joke whose cost keeps on going up everyyear. Copay has gone up from 10 to $40 and lots of employees with family including myself am with Obama care because it will double the cost if i take from CIBT.

Advice to Management

Invest more on employees.
    Increase pay so that employee feel respectable.
    You guys are proud of company growing bigger but whats there for average employee ????

"Processing"

Former Employee - New York in New York, NY
    Former Employee - New York in New York, NY

Pros

Weekends Off, Holiday Pay, decent benefits. People are nice and tend to work together.

Cons

Cliques, Gossip, Low Pay , but expect you to 1000 %. Pay people what they are worth and they will do the work and do it well. They buy companies left and right and offer a max of 3% when its review time. Its a slap in the face to those who really care about the company and want them to succeed

Advice to Management

Step Up! Fight for your people. You are the voice you see the day to day operation and know how hard the team works. Make Corporate see we are human beings and not a number. We are not robots. With out Corporate this company would not exists and would not be #1 in this Field. Open your eyes hear the people. Also when CEO walks into the office acknowledge your staff

"Na"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at CIBT full-time

Pros

Monday to Friday schedule is the best. Can request early leave. Busy season offers overtime.

Cons

Management is unprofessional. Team leads gossip with and talk about other employees.

Advice to Management

Fire team leads and hire ones who actually care about employees.

"Avoid. You can do better."

Current Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CIBT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm fortunate to have amiable coworkers and somewhat understanding local management. I really can't think of anything else positive to say about CIBT. I guess I got lucky at my office.

Cons

Corporate management (based out of suburban DC) is completely unappreciative of its employees. CIBT is the epitome of what's wrong with corporate America. They'll squeeze you until you're nothing but a soulless husk. They expect you to go well out of your way to please an often irrational customer base who have completely unreasonable expectations. We shouldn't even entertain customers who want, for instance, a Brazil visa completed in a day. That's ludicrous. That request should be refused outright. Instead, we accept the visa order, call the customer to advise, get yelled at and berated by the customer, then charge customer a cancellation fee, then there's an escalation and we get dinged for poor customer service for advising the customer that their visa goal is completely unrealistic. This is simply unethical. It's really a shady way of making a buck. It's also a complete waste of productivity to indulge such absurd requests.

Furthermore, the pay and benefits are very much on the low end for an office job. For example, I got 2 days bereavement pay when my mother died earlier this year... 2 days. The rest came from the my paltry PTO balance. Utterly pathetic.

Advice to Management

Either fire yourselves, or start appreciating us, the visa and passport agents, who bring home the bacon. Your efforts to show employee appreciation have been paltry. A 1% annual raise for fair-to-good performance, when inflation is 1.9%? That's wage theft. For shame, for shame. $15.38/hour for San Francisco is a joke. You require a college degree for that awful pay? If the student loan bubble bursts, it'll be because of stingy employers, like you. Also, be more upfront with customers, and realize that when it comes to government bureaucracies to issue passports and visas, the customer isn't always right (and, in fact, often wrong).