CIBT Visa and Passport Specialist Reviews | Glassdoor

Visa and Passport Specialist

2.9
John Donoghue

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Learned about the travel industry, some friendly and helpful upper management, decent benefits (in 5 reviews)

• Good people to work with, good benefits, off weekends and major holidays, food brought in for employees often (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Low Pay, Lack of Consistency in work objective and procedures, Unorganized, Unqualified leaders (in 8 reviews)

• Very underpaid for the amount of work consultants and specialists do (in 3 reviews)

1. "Visa and Passport Specialist"

Current Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CIBT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good colleagues and 8 hours working day. Paid vacation after specific period of time. Sometimes free lunches and cakes at birthday sometimes.

Cons

Too much work as for the salary they offer. You are physically and morally exhausted by the end of the day. No opportunity to grow in your career.

Advice to Management

Please, hire more people! The ones working there now are not robots.

2. "Unsure"

Current Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at CIBT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with, good benefits, off weekends and major holidays, food brought in for employees often.

Cons

Poor management. You will be treated as you are easily replaced. They will definitely pay you what you are worth. It pays the bills, but barely.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they are worth. It will keep good employees. Boost morale and offer proper training.

"Visa & Passport Specialist"

Former Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at CIBT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They'll give you kudos for a job well done. They'll try to recognize your performance, and share a cake with you when it's your birthday.

Cons

Every single day you will be working late hours. They expect you to handle 30 files daily plus taking care of follow ups which in time can be up to 70 files total. The mailman tends to come after 10:30am, so you won't start the 30 files until he comes. In the winter time, because of the weather, the mailman can come at 2:00pm, which leaves you about 3 hours to process the 30 files - it's simply impossible to keep up. I wish they had more personnel, but it's usually 5 agents, sometimes less! Not to mention, if someone is sick, the other team members have to cover for that person with all of the 30 plus files and their follow ups on top of your job assignments.

Advice to Management

Please hire more agents! There should be at least 7 Visa and Passport Specialists, at least 8 Concierge Specialists, and 3 qualifiers. With more personnel, the work would get done more efficiently, and you'd have more happy repeater customers.

"Visa/Passport Specialist"

Current Employee - Visa & Passport Specialist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Visa & Passport Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at CIBT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love customer service and assisting people with meeting their needs. For some this may be difficult but everyone doe not have customer service skills and this must come within yourself.

Cons

To me there are no cons because I love my job and I will continue to learn all I can about this industry so that I can grow personally and become the best Visa/Passport Specialist that I can be

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to keep striving to make your employees knowlegedable as well as continuing to help us to grow within the company. I thank you all for being there whenever needed and taking our feelings into consideration

5. "good"

Former Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at CIBT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the benefits are great and management is good

Cons

there is no room for growth

Advice to Management

to motivate employees who want to go grow within the company and to raise the minimum wage higher due to volume of work that the customer representative people and operations people do there.

"Avoid. You can do better."

Current Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CIBT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm fortunate to have amiable coworkers and somewhat understanding local management. I really can't think of anything else positive to say about CIBT. I guess I got lucky at my office.

Cons

Corporate management (based out of suburban DC) is completely unappreciative of its employees. CIBT is the epitome of what's wrong with corporate America. They'll squeeze you until you're nothing but a soulless husk. They expect you to go well out of your way to please an often irrational customer base who have completely unreasonable expectations. We shouldn't even entertain customers who want, for instance, a Brazil visa completed in a day. That's ludicrous. That request should be refused outright. Instead, we accept the visa order, call the customer to advise, get yelled at and berated by the customer, then charge customer a cancellation fee, then there's an escalation and we get dinged for poor customer service for advising the customer that their visa goal is completely unrealistic. This is simply unethical. It's really a shady way of making a buck. It's also a complete waste of productivity to indulge such absurd requests.

Furthermore, the pay and benefits are very much on the low end for an office job. For example, I got 2 days bereavement pay when my mother died earlier this year... 2 days. The rest came from the my paltry PTO balance. Utterly pathetic.

Advice to Management

Either fire yourselves, or start appreciating us, the visa and passport agents, who bring home the bacon. Your efforts to show employee appreciation have been paltry. A 1% annual raise for fair-to-good performance, when inflation is 1.9%? That's wage theft. For shame, for shame. $15.38/hour for San Francisco is a joke. You require a college degree for that awful pay? If the student loan bubble bursts, it'll be because of stingy employers, like you. Also, be more upfront with customers, and realize that when it comes to government bureaucracies to issue passports and visas, the customer isn't always right (and, in fact, often wrong).

7. "Not exactly great team work"

Former Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at CIBT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent Benefits, Mostly professional work environment, Global company exposure, Opportunity to take initiative and make an extra effort. Some crossover training opportunities.

Cons

Worker apathy, Low wages, not exactly bubbly morning people, low accountability, imbalance of work load, difficult to get rid of poor performance people.

Advice to Management

Try to do more team building events. Job sharing and cross training improvements. Provide workers with some type of quarterly or bi-annual incentives.

"Poor experience all around"

Former Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at CIBT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy to land a job at CIBT due to high turnover

Cons

Management is often unaware of the atmosphere that is created amongst the employees, only gets involved when there is a major problem

Advice to Management

Stop hiring from outside and start building leaders from amongst the lower level employees

"Always learning something new"

Current Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in Miami, FL

I have been working at CIBT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Monday - Friday workplace, some overtime when needed,

Cons

do not get normal vacation time or personal, sick days. have to accumulate hours in order to receive any time off.

"Avoid this place like the plague!!"

Former Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Visa and Passport Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CIBT full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It offers health insurance. But that's about it.

Cons

Low pay for all the stress and harassment you'll receive. Unless someone quits, gets fired or dies, there is absolutely NO room for advancement. Pay raises are never more then a measly 30 cents or so. The harder you work, the more you'll be harassed and ridiculed. A compliment is never given without a gripe about your ability to do your job, even if you're an excellent employee doing your best. Expect to be be threatened with a "job security" speech daily. Vacation is offered, but at least 5 months out of the year are restricted. And when only 1 person can take time off at a time, you wonder what the point of even offering it is. Don't expect to have a life outside of CIBT. You're expected to be a robot with no feelings or life of your own outside of work. Upper management in the corporate office is a mess. They couldn't care less about their employees, talk poorly about employees to other employees, make big mistakes and poor choices and then force their employees to fix the problems. Company is extremely profit driven and will work you into the ground until you just can't take it anymore. But don't ever expect to benefit from rising profits aside from the measly salary you'll take home. Employees, especially long term employees are leaving right and left whether or not they have something else lined up. In this economy, that has to tell you something...

Advice to Management

Realize that your employees are people, not robots. Start treating them with respect and stop harassing them. Stop writing people up for getting sick or for having to tend to a family emergency. And most importantly, realize that happy employees = happy customers. Your current business model is going to drive CIBT right into the ground. This used to be a great place to work, but as of 3 years ago, it's now one of the worst. It's time to wake up and realize this.