CIO Executive Council Reviews | Glassdoor

CIO Executive Council Reviews

Updated Feb 26, 2018

1.5
  1. "Energizing place to work"

I have been working at CIO Executive Council

Pros

Highly collaborative and creative culture and great group of employees. Fast paced and experiencing tremendous growth.

Cons

With growth comes the need for change.

CIO Executive Council2015-04-27
  2. "Client Relationship Manager"

I worked at CIO Executive Council full-time

Pros

- Work/life balance - Engage with C-level Executives - Opportunity to travel - Great people to work with - Awesome benefits

Cons

- Functional groups operate in silos - Direct leader is not collaborative - Unclear strategic vision and long term viability - Lots of finger pointing among teams

CIO Executive Council2018-02-26

"Enterprise Client Relationship Manager"

I worked at CIO Executive Council for more than a year

Pros

Networking opportunities with clients in CXO and Sr. Executives positions, support staff are genuinely very helpful.

Cons

Company culture and lack of strategy and vision, career opportunities only if you are part of the "clique". Positions are replaced and disposed of easily.

CIO Executive Council2016-11-18

"Falling Fast"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

I have been working at CIO Executive Council full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The benefits through IDG are good. There are dedicated people on staff who put a great deal of care and passion into their assignments and roles.

Cons

The direction of the Council has been put off course for the last several years. Irrational changes in direction, lack of long term vision, and accountability from the Senior Leadership Level has depleted the organization's vision and mission to a point where it may likely not rebound. People are fearful and morale is the lowest I have ever seen. It feels like most staff have given up and are left wondering why... IDG leadership is allowing this to happen.

Advice to Management

The CIO Executive Council will not survive unless a change in leadership occurs. There are a number of dedicated staff who are doing their best to hold things together and would like to continue with what it used to be before it was put so far off course. Protect the hard working people who have shown dedication to the organization and bring in new leadership that can carve a path forward.

CIO Executive Council2016-05-09

"Change is coming."

I worked at CIO Executive Council full-time

Pros

IDG benefits (healthcare, holidays etc) and culture were amazing in the past with many employee appreciation aspects, culture is now changing with death of founder Pat McGovern and company is currently up for sale/reorg with a major investment bank. With this tiny division of the much bigger company, there is room for advancement if you apply yourself and are direct with management and meet your numbers. Work/Life... balance is pretty good.

Cons

Compensation is below average. Unless you get promoted, don't expect a big raise each year. And expect to be doing your job for a while before the promotion hits your paycheck. Projects, products and priorities are constantly shifting and changing from a senior management level. Many products offered can be difficult to sell/administer/renew/upsell. Lack of consistent marketing strategy to sell those products has... hindered growth for the past few years.

Advice to Management

Change is needed at senior management level. Bring in technical management to better serve your community of technologists versus just outsourcing everything (major departments and products to a few different vendors/contractors).

CIO Executive Council2016-01-22

"Headed in the wrong direction...down hill!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

I worked at CIO Executive Council full-time for more than a year

Pros

Used to be affiliation with IDG and its brands, but IDG is going through significant changes so this is no longer a Pro Good people working hard in a futile effort due to total lack on consistent direction and management.

Cons

High turnover to meet quarterly numbers. Senior people come, try to make changes, are blocked and either leave or more likely asked to leave. Completely non-technical senior management team and staff yet services a highly-technical customer based. How is that suppose to work? It isn't! Products that don't meet customers (Members) needs. Constantly changing priorities and direction...sometime daily.... Avoid unless you like an unresolvable challenge!

Advice to Management

To IDG management...clean house especially senior management!

CIO Executive Council2015-12-22

"Not what it once was"

I worked at CIO Executive Council

Pros

great employees, great collaboration depending on what team you are on.

Cons

terrible leadership and management that is ultimately driving the place into the ground.

CIO Executive Council2015-08-20

"Lost it's way"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Framingham, MA

I worked at CIO Executive Council full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Affiliated with strong brands. if you're looking to make less than competitive earnings and be entertained by inept leadership scenarios like The Office or Office Space, then this place is for you!

Cons

At some point the Council leadership decided to shift their focus away from delivering value to it's customers and focus only on purely upselling to their customers. This may have been necessary as new sales was not producing due to poor leadership, but it changed the dynamics of the business. The President instructed staff to treat a CIO's annual pre-paid service fee as a "Cover Charge" just to be part of the... community, clients then need to pay more to get premium service and anything of any tangible value. They were launching this new D-Suite campaign which is just creating another product to sell to existing clients to distract them from what little they are getting for their standard service fees. Similar to the Workshops that CIOs have to pay extra for and Leadership Program which is pretty good but higher priced and not as good as SIM's RLF program... A big red flag and turn off for me were the efforts made to artificially inflate revenue numbers, such as diverting deferred revenues from future fiscal years into the current year so that a couple of specific individuals would make their number for the year, get bonuses, etc. Short-sighted and borderline fraudulent activities are regular orders from the leadership at this line of business. I guess at a small division of a private company you can cook the books and get away with it. President also likened this "Professional Service" to her YMCA membership on Martha's Vineyard. Staff shouldn't worry about whether or not clients are doing anything, just focus on selling them juices, classes and any other added revenue whenever they interact. Just one of many horrible analogies used by this twit. Beyond this, the leadership here just treats people badly. Certain staff (friends of Prez) can expense golf and ski boondoggles, fake work trips to Brazil and the like, while others can't do minimal travel to meet with clients or can only attend for 1 day of an IDG conference and fly home in the middle of the night to save hotel cost. President mandates sharing rooms for certain staff, while her and her friends get suites. the cronyism, lack of transparency and shortsighted strategy were painful. I couldn't take it anymore, so threw in the towel and left.

Advice to Management

IDG Management needs to pretty much gut this bloated mess. Look for someone that knows the customers and can lead people to take over the ship. A leadership change is long overdue.

CIO Executive Council2015-06-03

"Worst place I have ever worked!"

I worked at CIO Executive Council

Pros

Being part of IDG is about the only positive thing I can think of. CEC hired good people and I liked my coworkers. I feel sorry for those still there.

Cons

I agree with all of the one star ratings on here. Too bad zero stars is not an option. Leadership is all over the map and the president is, as others have described, an ego-maniac. She is so out of touch with the business and what clients want it is laughable. I've never worked for or with anyone who thought more of themselves, and less of everyone else, than her. She often made inappropriate, even derogatory... remarks to and about people and walked around the office as if everyone should kiss her feet. Not sure how she still has a career or how she made it to where she is. Must have some dirt on someone or something. If you cross her, or she doesn't like you, you're on a plan and out in 30 days. She brags about her Porsche that she leased while others struggle to make ends meet and get "laid off". If this is really such an amazing place to work, why is everyone so miserable? If you're experiencing such outrageous growth, why are you laying people off? Just the WORST! Filled with liars in management. Favoritism, discrimination, and micro management are the name of the game at CEC. My direct manager seemed to think I didn't know how to tie my own shoes in the morning - he was the WORST manager I have ever worked for. Do not work here if you want to be able to think independently, be creative, or see your ideas put into action. They talk a good game, and post fake reviews on here about how wonderful a place it is, but it is awful.

Advice to Management

Cut your losses and either close the doors or get rid of the entire management team and start over. There is some value to the Council, but it will never be realized with the current incompetents you have entrusted the success of this company to. Some really smart, talented people have either left or been "laid off" so that margin goals get met. Very sad state of affairs for what could have been a great company.

CIO Executive Council2015-05-15

"Time for a change, starting with management."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

I worked at CIO Executive Council full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are some great people and IDG has some good benefits.

Cons

Everything else is a con. Having worked there for over 3 years I saw some things still making my head spin. The president is an ego maniac. She is cowardly and above all lies at every turn. So many people have been laid off and every time it's "they were dead weight" or "no crying about it gotta get work done" and her "so what?" Mantra is completely discouraging and de-motivating. The management team is abysmal... save 1 or two people. This small organization lacks in innovation, follow through, and loyalty to those working hard to make a difference. I once worked for a company that fired a woman because she called out sick due to finding out she had cancer...this place is worse.

Advice to Management

See the problem for what it is. Get a new president and don't even think about putting one of those other people on the leadership team in that role. All but two directors should be GONE! If you want the company to survive hire a president that leads with compassion, transparency and much smaller ego.

CIO Executive Council2015-04-24