CIT Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ellen Alemany

Pros
Cons
  • No real management direction, no accountability from senior management (in 16 reviews)

• While I was there, there was no commitment to work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

1. "Financial Systems avp"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Livingston, NJ
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Livingston, NJ

I have been working at CIT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great people, great opportunities, awesome

Cons

overall none. a great place

Advice to Management

keep up the great work

2. "CIT Rail rewards results, takes risks promoting internal candidates to new opportunities."

Current Employee - Vice President
    Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at CIT full-time

Pros

With an established practice of hiring internally to fill top positions and filling lower positions externally, CIT Rail is an excellent place to grow and have a career.

CIT Rail is very difficult to get into, the compay hires only the very best and brightest people it can find so you're always working with people you can respect and that respect you. Fit (group dynamic) is just as important as formal qualifications in the interview process so it's actually a fun environment to work in.

CIT Rail managment respects work life balance, I work very reasonable hours and as long as my work gets done very well, my manager allows me a lot of freedom with my time.

Cons

The onboarding process at CIT can be a bit slow, but it's definitely worth the wait.

When everyone on your team is smart, hard working, and looking to impress it can be difficult to stand out. Managment is cognisant of the fact that its working with the cream of the crop, expectations are very high but accomplishments are definitely rewarded.

CIT has become a bank holding company. For those of us who were here before, the environment feels more tightly controlled, less free, more guarded. I've heard from others who worked at other banks before or who have since moved to other banks, CIT Rail feels more laid back and relaxed than other banks though it is adequately controlled.

"Fresh Blood Driving Top-Down IT Transformation"

Pros

What a difference a year or two makes! I have been with CIT for over 10 years and perpetually frustrated at some poor business and technology decisions that drove us into bankruptcy and created a stagnant culture... until now.

Fast forward to 2012 with a new CEO and CIO who both systematically replaced almost their entire management teams and drove a top down change in culture. IT's relationship with the business has been especially impacted with IT going from being glorified order takers to valued partners at the table helping drive business decisions.

Stacey Goodman is known for her eye for talent and that clearly shows. She has given fresh opportunities to leaders that have been here a while, sent a clear message to those who have underperformed or not lived up to the new values, and focused a lot of energy on infusing fresh blood into many leadership roles.

CIT has become a fun and exciting place to work again - especially IT. The company is investing in technology, putting video cameras and giant TVs in conference rooms, focusing investment in projects that will drive company wide transformation and help clean up the legacy mess that has accumulated over years of decreasing investment.

The technology leadership team is a great bunch who are all masters of their domain. Frank Nazzaro has evolved the infrastructure team from bare metal provisioners to a great group of techies who are trying to modernize our foundation and leverage technologies like cloud computing. Stacey has done a good job of leveraging the best leaders she inherited and supplementing with fresh blood.

Sure there are folks from the old guard who complain no matter who's holding the wheel or where we are going. Our leadership has made a point of engaging with these naysayers and challenging them to cheer up and help move us forward or step aside and make room. I respect that greatly. Set the target, clarify everyone's role and purpose, then let's rally together and get some stuff done.

I am excited about working at CIT for the first time in a friggin decade. We are debt free, profitable, led by true visionaries, undergoing massive transformation and investing in technology to drive business growth. Couldn't be a better time for you to come on board.

Cons

HQ is in Livingston, NJ
    Building came via time portal straight from the 70's
    Lots of legacy process (though they are attacking this methodically)
    Information security (but they stink wherever you go)
    Parking lot has flooded a few times since I've been here
    Compliance group just gets bigger every year, what's up with that?
    Lots of legacy systems, one mainframe that may never go away (but it works and everyone has warts)
    The lady who makes my sandwiches in the cafeteria is sometimes grumpy

4. "Great Company positioned for growth"

Current Employee - Director in Livingston, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Livingston, NJ

I have been working at CIT full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture with smart people and excellent work life balance.

Cons

Red tape to get things done can be challenging.

Advice to Management

Streamline processes and invest in current technology.

"One of the best places to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at CIT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is very diverse and the management executives are eager to see you grow within the company.

Cons

The amount of your workload does not always reflect in your pay.

Advice to Management

Consider the advantages of investing in your employees by paying for certain certifications that may apply to their future role within the company.

"Finance Organization VERY open to changing and adapting to current environment"

Current Employee - Analyst in Livingston, NJ
    Current Employee - Analyst in Livingston, NJ

I have been working at CIT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Motivated individuals who care about each other. They are trying to get the old-school mentality out and adapt with changing ideas. With new merger with OneWest, CIT has good outlook.

Competitive pay with industry. Actually slightly better than industry.

When I was able to ask CEO John Thain about what type of qualities he would look for in someone he was hiring he replied by saying people who are motivated, smart, and most importantly people who you can get along with. If you

Cons

Not necessarily a Con but work consumes a giant portion of your life. Hard to balance everything else you want to do.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"great atmosphere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

great group of people, opportunities to advance, good benefits, work/life balance

Cons

HR can be slow and sometimes difficult to work with.

8. "Great place to work."

Pros

I would definately recommend a job at CIT. Sometimes there is paralysis by analysis, but what company doesn't? The work/life balance is great. The company is very socailly conscious and does many things in the community. Teams from multiple departments work well together. I've seen many positive changes here in the time I've been with the company.

Cons

Learning and following the processes, but this is much improved.

9. "I have been working at CIT more than an year"

Current Contractor - Operations
    Current Contractor - Operations

I have been working at CIT as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Good Company, Good pay. Great benefits, employee awards, flexibility, work / life balance.

Cons

Career opportunities stunted due to reductions in positions but good if you are already a mid- to high-level employee

Advice to Management

NA

"Great"

Pros

Work life balance and friendly staff

Cons

They are going through a merger