CIT Reviews | Glassdoor

CIT Reviews

Updated June 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • No real management direction, no accountability from senior management (in 16 reviews)

• While I was there, there was no commitment to work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

"CIT Livingston NJ"

I worked at CIT full-time

Pros

Commute - for those that live in the vicinity which contributes to work/life balance.

Cons

Poor compensation, poor benefits, employees are treated as numbers (dollar amount and headcount), managers only manage up, lack of communication.

Advice to Management

Don't only manage up. Develope your staff. Communicate to your staff, don't keep them in the dark.

"Lack of Leadership From The Top Down - Avoid CIT Until Something Changes"

Pros

While overall, the benefits are fair, the salaries are at the low/middle range for the region and job function and that cannot being to make up for the fact that the overall culture of CIT is terrible. The Portsmouth office is perhaps the only bright spot, that said, it won't be long before the oppressive CIT hammer pounds the life out of what was a truly nice place to work. Visit other offices and if feels like '1984'. Its heads down and stay anonymous.

Cons

The corporate culture of CIT may be among the worst I have ever experienced. It is extremely political with most of the middle tier of management (VPs and Directors) sucking up to the higher ups and either taking credit for their team's work or backstabbing up and comers at any opportunity.

There is no concept of Win-Win and collaboration is lacking. If you're brave enough to voice an alternate opinion you'll be vindictively marginalized, sidelined, perhaps reassigned, or 'reduction in force' out of the company - unless you leave first. The philosophy tends to lead to an 'obey and do what I say' culture as opposed to identifying new ways to accomplish your work and be productive.

Perhaps even worse is the lack of real management and leadership experience to achieve the tech goals leadership wants. Instead of listening to those who know, the 'traditional banking' approach dominates. This leads to constantly shifting prioritizes, daily fire drills, weekly shuffling of staff and resources - it is amazing that anything gets done and why initiatives take so long if they ever do get completed. These leads to a poor work-life balance. It is not uncommon for late nights, weekends - all the result of poor planning and subpar leadership.

Sadly CIT has become the old school bank that is represented in the memes we all see: Overly political, greedy management, stiff and lacking in the ability to be innovative (they want to be creative but the management and leadership have drained the life out of the best contributors).

Advice to Management

Management, from the executive suite to the director/SVP level should understand that its employees are not just printed names on a piece of paper, they are actually real human beings that once cared about doing a good job - and without engaging your best talent you will fail in the company's strategic goals. Start by valuing your people, paying them a fair wage and encouraging dialog and discussion. Adopting an old school bank mentality will not allow you to achieve your tech goals.

Finally, it is terrible that large bonuses were paid to departing executives at the same time as benefits for regular employees (401k match, etc.) were cut. This just screams GREED.

"Analyst"

Pros

There are no Pros for this company. The turnover with leadership is high. Management is not concerned with the morale of their employees.

Cons

Management does not take accountability. They blame others for their mistakes. The company is in shambles.

Advice to Management

Get your act together. Hire managers who are qualified and are accountable. Listen to your employees and empower them.

"Don't take a job here unless you have no other options"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livingston, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livingston, NJ

I worked at CIT (More than 3 years)

Pros

None that I am aware of

Cons

While CIT has not been a good place to work for quite some time, this year senior management seems to have a goal of making life as difficult as possible for employees, especially any brave enough to question the corrosive status quo. Failing senior leaders exited last fall with golden parachutes worth millions while employee benefits were cut. Current leadership seems to want as many people as possible to leave on their own so they won't have to pay severance. The brain drain began earlier this year and continues. This company with a 100-plus year history is in shambles.

Advice to Management

Stop mistreating your employees; you need to keep your talented and experienced employees from leaving if you have any hope of turning this ship away from the iceberg.

"Horrible, unprofessional establishment"

Former Employee - Relationship Associate in Palm Desert, CA
    Former Employee - Relationship Associate in Palm Desert, CA

I worked at CIT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits , hourly Wage , there isn't many pros to working at CIT/one West Bank . I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Cons

Management , techniques , the antiquity of their systems , HR . I would not recommend this establishment to anyone.

"Workplace has degraded"

Current Employee - IT Staff in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - IT Staff in Newark, NJ

I have been working at CIT full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

CIT has some really good people, although the really good ones are heading for the door as fast as they can

Cons

Management has unreasonable expectations
    The last CIO wasted a lot of of funding on boondoggle projects and bringing in high-priced cronies
    It used to be a better place to work
    It appears they are getting ready to put the entire firm up for sale, selling off tangent businesses
    For the most part, IT and the business are dysfunctional, drowning in red-tape, over-cautious risk staff, and antiquated paper-based processes
    CIT struggled moving from a SOX company to a Bank Holding company
    They will surely drown under the regulation of being a SIFI

Advice to Management

It might be too late

7. "I've heard they're getting better..."

Pros

Some good people still there.

Cons

Mgmt was pretty dense back then, but I've heard better things in the past year.

"vice president"

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at CIT (More than 3 years)

Pros

There were none, dysfunctional senior mgt team, constant changing priorities and mission, no focus since acquisition with one west bank

Cons

Constant change of management, focus, objectives, acquisition nightmare

"CIT Management, Culture and how they treat people"

Former Employee - Vice President in Livingston, NJ
    Former Employee - Vice President in Livingston, NJ

I worked at CIT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers were nice, good location

Cons

Poor management....While Sr. Management say they care about the EE's, line managment really doesn't unless you can do something for them. Medical is not good. Revolving chairs in the C-Suite lots of people coming and going. Looks like getting the co ready to be sold off. I would not recommend working there a any age or level in this climate. BTW Heard lots of people got downsized recently.

Advice to Management

Truly care about people. Eiminate middle managment thatb does not care. HR Listn to complaints abou middle managment and do something about those who should not manage people and have poor management skills.

10. "Soul Sucking Place To Work"

I worked at CIT full-time

Pros

Competitive Pay, Competitive Benefits, Fair Time Off Policy

Cons

When I interviewed, it seemed like a great place to work. I was told that I'd be working with some out of state vendors, that I would make frequent site visits and that I would be responsible for helping to make significant changes to policy in my area of expertise. When I took the job, I was asked to only do PART of what I was hired to do, seldom worked with the vendor, never traveled to their site and was not involved in any of the changes that were talked about during the interview process. While I was there, there was no commitment to work/life balance. I was told that I was to be an 8-5 guy and when leaving at 5 to spend time with my family, the comment I got was "Oh, checking out early, eh?" The culture is VERY strict with little to no room for personality or levity.