CJ Affiliate by Conversant Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CJ Affiliate by Conversant President Waleed Al-Atraqchi
Waleed Al-Atraqchi

Pros
  • People, company size, work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Great people, many opportunities to advance or move departments, very good benefits, and many learning opportunities (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is subpar and they are currently taking away a lot of the benefits package (in 3 reviews)

• While I think CJ as a whole is doing great things and heading in the right direction, the New York office is a disaster (in 10 reviews)

1. "Fun company, questionable direction"

Former Employee - Associate Account Manager in Westborough, MA
    Former Employee - Associate Account Manager in Westborough, MA

I worked at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Young work environment with lots of energy and excitement and camaraderie. Fun events and nice office. They give you the opportunity to manage your own portfolio and make a name for yourself. Pay is average.

Cons

Direction of company initiatives has been all over the place. With the buyouts and changes in management, things are hopefully headed in the right direction, but new product and service rollouts were always too hasty, and there was a constant disconnect between the product development/sales side and the account management teams' preparedness. We didn't know how to use the tools we were being told to sell, and we were "graded" on how well we sold the products. They felt like ultimatums that there would be consequences if we didn't sell clients on products that were neither ready nor effective. Advancement structure in the company was completely based on people leaving or moving up, so merit alone would not get you promoted in a timely fashion.

Senior management was really approachable and friendly. They only get two stars however because of the disconnect on company direction and poor implementation of initiatives.

Stock plan crashed with buyout from Alliance Data Systems, so that was a bummer.

Advice to Management

Sync up the marketing/sales/product teams with the account management teams more effectively so there isn't a huge disconnect between what's expected and what we can actually deliver upon. Consider a merit-based promotion system, particularly for ARs to AAMs to AMs so that we don't just feel like we're waiting for somebody to quit or get hired and then have a passive-aggressive internal competition for the opening. There are plenty of qualified individuals who would shine as AAMs if just given the chance; it's tough to feel like you're being looked past and held down just because the quota of AAMs is already full.

Also, balance portfolios more effectively between team members. I was often bored to tears with so little to do while other AAMs were staying until 7pm most nights.

"Bad surprise!"

Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really great product and company culture. Great network. Good sales teams. Good sales leader East Coast.

Cons

It used to be a great company but the founders/owners left and a new management took over. His style is really tough and does not fit with our nice culture. Talented people leave and are replaced by brown-nosers.

Advice to Management

Go out and listen to clients. Come back in and listen to employees. Alternatively get a management coach. Not everyone is motivated by $... especially WASPs.

3. "Software engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at CJ Affiliate by Conversant (More than a year)

Pros

Great people; interesting work; laid back environment;

Cons

No cons really. Great experience overall.

"Sinking Ship"

I worked at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time

Pros

Most of the people are great. There is still somewhat of a team environment despite an increase in "what's in it for me" employee hires.

Cons

An 80% turnover in the "leadership" team in 2 years has resulted in chaos. While true that the previous management was ineffective and needed to change, the new CEO knows little about the business and picks the brown-nosers to replace those he pushes out. Perception is that the business is being sold off based on the presidents rash and myopic decisions.

Advice to Management

Stop the cronyism. All but your 10 favorites loathe you so listen to ALL groups and understand the business before you claim to know the problem.

"Solid Company, But"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's a lot of very smart engineers willing to mentor and bring up those less knowledgeable. The pair programming + test driven development helps greatly when learning and makes the codebase very robust.
    The hours are stable and rarely must you work more than 8 hours unless you need to stay for a deployment once in a while.
    Very well organized sprint cycles in an agile environment. The scrum methodology is executed very well here.

Cons

Pair programming can become quite tiring after a while and the experience will depend on whom you are working with on a particular day. They also force out a number of engineers each year to keep newer, fresher engineers coming into the company. This makes more room for newer developers+ideas coming in and pairing brings them up to speed fairly quickly. This is a horrible way to treat dedicated employees though and reflects poorly on management.
    I hope it's changed since I've been there.

"Good people but pay is not competitive"

Pros

- Smart, fun, and nice employees
    - Flexible time off
    - Good work/life balance
    - Can WFH as needed

Cons

- Very low pay compared to most marketing companies in the city
    - Medical benefits and budgets keep getting cut each year after ADS/Epsilon acquisition - I presume it will only get worse
    - No HR (or anyone else to step up in place of) so there's not much culture and synergy in the office
    - Management only seems to care about acquiring new clients and pleasing big clients without much care for their own employees. They are often disconnected from the rest of the company.

Advice to Management

Culture needs to be improved in non-HQ offices. Employees who work in satellite offices are often disconnected.

8. "Senior Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant (More than 3 years)

Pros

People, company size, work/life balance

Cons

Not competitive with compensation package

"Great teams, poor management"

Former Employee - Associate Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-social office
    -good work hours
    -Summer Fridays
    -strong new-hires

Cons

While I think CJ as a whole is doing great things and heading in the right direction, the New York office is a disaster. New hires have been great, but unfortunately with such a small office decisions are made by 2 or 3 people who have no idea what they're doing. Accounts and structures are changed on a whim, there is no continuity and minds are changed about important items daily. They don't seek any input about workloads, and then send an email "surprise" like teams are supposed to be excited about the constant change in direction. Clients are privy to the lack of organization and direction for this office, and there accounts suffer because of it.

Advice to Management

Hire new management? But seriously, this list could take hours to write. Most importantly, seek input of staff at all levels, don't make rash decision, and don't constantly change your mind once you've made changes.

"Changing for the better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Many office locations allowing you to work around the country
    - Leader in affiliate space
    - Good vacation policy
    - (Recently) began hiring qualified, smart and reliable people
    - Last 6 months have changed dramatically. Began hiring more talented people. Positive future for company seems to be on horizon.

Cons

- Tedious, repetitive and monotonous work. Way too much time analyzing data and building decks for QBRs and then repeating the never ending process.
    - Product updates are often rolled out way too slowly and/or not finished.
    - Interdepartmental collaboration is next to none. Ad dev and pub dev often work against each other.
    - Channel is the smallest for most advertisers so it receives little budget. The incremental value affiliate provides for many is very little more often than not.
    - 75% analytics and 25% account management

Advice to Management

- Develop strategy on how to get pub dev and ad dev to work together towards one common goal.
    - Continue hiring people of the caliber you have within last 8 months.

11. "Software Developer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Oxnard, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Oxnard, CA

I worked at CJ Affiliate by Conversant part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of great people. Learned a lot. Very knowledgeable engineers willing to share and mentor others.

Cons

Lot of turn over due to change of direction. The way some people were let go from the company was off putting.

CJ Affiliate by Conversant Response

Dec 15, 2015 – CJ Culture Champion

Thank you for recognizing the great people at CJ and our talented engineers. We are continually working to improve our internal communication, so thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your ... More