CJ Affiliate by Conversant Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
CJ Affiliate by Conversant President Waleed Al-Atraqchi
Waleed Al-Atraqchi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work/life balance is like any place" (in 8 reviews)

• "People at CJ are very passionate about computer science and will happily share their knowledge" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "CJ was once a company that embraced work/life balance but now it's nothing but a sweatshop" (in 5 reviews)

• "Or the tools we do have are totally outdated and upper management is clueless" (in 6 reviews)

"CJ Affiliate - Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Publisher Development Manager
    Current Employee - Publisher Development Manager

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I truly do love coming to work at CJ every day as I am constantly motivated and encouraged by my supervisors, teammates, and clients to succeed in my role. Over the course of my 1.5year employment, I have been challenged to achieve and rewarded with promotion. CJ values hard work, positivity, collaboration and thinking outside of the box. The company is growing at a steady pace and I can confidently say I will be sticking around for a while!

Cons

Cross-Department collaboration needs to continue to be improved in order for the company to run as efficiently as possible. This is a work in progress!

"Power Through People"

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Within my team's experience, CJ management 100% cares about its people. When the team was faced with a year-long influx of workloads, management strove to ensure teammates were taking due rest/PTO to avoid burnout.
    While this is a serious business, the culture of people I've experienced is that we don't take ourselves too seriously. In other words, supervisors are more like mentors, coworkers and managers all have a group chat for memes, and people are readily willing to take a quick break to tell stories/jokes or partake in a quick board game. My teammates and I have, more than a few times, chosen to spend time with each other outside of work, which must mean we at the very least enjoy each others' company even after spending 8+ hours together, 5x a week.

Cons

I occasionally sensed that entry level positions weren't always respected as anything other than entry level; that said, I'd mentioned this to management and saw noticeable positive changes were made during the start to end of holding an entry level position. Still room for growth, but never a bad thing to know that management is actually listening.
    The culture can feel too corporate at times—in other words, process can sometimes seem to bog down genuine creativity/ingenuity, though I guess this is to be expected within a large company.
    Career opportunities can feel limited in variability, but this is also to be expected for a company with a very specific product/service.

"Truly Fulfilling Work Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I started at CJ, I came from 9 years at a previous company and was nervous about making the jump. After 3 years with CJ, I can honestly say that it was the best decision I could have made. I've had ample opportunities to grow and exercise my expertise with a variety of people in the company. My managers have been wonderful about giving me a chance to push my boundaries and stretch the scope of my work. I work with some of the smartest folks in the industry and feel like people at every level (entry to senior exec) are given an opportunity to shine. I also feel like while the work is both exciting and challenging, I am granted optimal work/life balance. I love the flex vacation time benefit and as long as I am keeping up with my work, my managers have always been flexible and trusting of the time I need off.

Cons

In reading some of these reviews it seems like some other departments may have some resource issues that is causing burnout. However, there has been a lot of efforts made lately to adding headcount to solve for those concerns.

4. "Do NOT work here!!!"

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits on paper
    Some coworkers are great, NOT all

Cons

Too strict
    Below average pay
    Corporate politics
    Micromanaging
    Overworked
    Dishonest in interview process

Advice to Management

Let your employees be who they are and say what they feel. Support them. Uplift them. Be flexible. In the end, that's how you can find out the best in them.

"A downward slope"

Former Employee - Account Representative
    Former Employee - Account Representative

I worked at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers,
    Free food,
    Fun perks,
    Decent benefits,
    Company makes an effort to keep employees happy,
    Friendly environment.

Cons

This company is quickly losing all of its experienced employees for better places and cannot replace/train fast enough.
    Very low salary for this industry and the women are getting paid less.
    Very little work/life balance, you're just asked to keep working at all times at all hours and they don't offer any overtime pay.
    Can be extremely high-stress.
    Extreme life quality differences depending on what clients you get assigned.
    If people quit you may get all of their workload.
    Worried the company will lose all experienced management and collapse.

Advice to Management

You can't simply tell people they have to keep working past 5pm when the work from clients could be endless. You also can't endlessly keep pushing work onto all your employees with no incentives. It's 2018 and people are going to talk about their salaries, don't be surprised when your employees are upset with pay discrimination.

CJ Affiliate by Conversant Response

Oct 15, 2018 – Content Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your recognition that the company makes efforts to keep our employees happy! We also take your concerns very seriously and do take great care to monitor our... More

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Digital Account Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Digital Account Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They really want their employees to have a good work/life balance, and strive for good morale. Coworkers are friendly and collaborative. Opportunity to learn more about digital marketing, as well as develop yourself professionally. We are under a large company so there are great benefit to that, but the CJ team is smaller so you never get lost in the large corporation. Management listens to employees, you have a voice and it is heard.

Cons

Lots of calls/meetings to let clients know what we are doing & to justify our service. Many don't fully understand affiliate marketing and its breadth so you have to explain. Pay is lower than other companies for similar work, but you can learn lots of things to elevate your position in the company.

"Running out of steam"

I worked at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time

Pros

Great place to start your career and build a foundation in digital marketing.

-Overall great people to work with
    -Good benefits
    -Great training and learning opportunities

Cons

-Management. Upper management has been at the helm for a few years but still has little grasp of the dynamics of the business. Decisions are issued and retracted quickly. Aggressive personalities make it difficult to have a constructive discussion about the path forward. You essentially need to get in everyone's face to advance your ideas. This in turn leads to similar personalities getting promoted and the cycle continues. Meanwhile, talented employees leave. Cronyism is also an issue.

-Technology. Great engineers, but tech is dated with the pace of innovation slow. Likewise, much of the work is focused on catching up to the industry rather than creating modern solutions. This creates a lack of faith in the products employees are asked to sell, using some very creative descriptions of services that the company has no ability to provide.

-Turnover. High turnover among longtime employees, who were either forced out by management, or got fed up and left. Top talent does not stick around long. Turnover also high among clients, though sales has been good about filling in the hole.

-Culture. Culture has become more corporate since the acquisition. The company still tries to sell the Silicon Valley startup image but falls short. For example, you get flex time off, if you're taking the allowed amount of time off. Old traditions died with longtime employees leaving and the company culture is essentially forced from the top down via HR initiatives in line with management goals. Rank and file employees come in for a paycheck and are not particularly passionate about the work. Part of it goes back to the tech piece and knowing that no matter how inefficient something is, there is no way to change it in any meaningful way.

-Bottom of the ladder. Being part of ADS has benefits, but being at the bottom of ADS > Epsilon > Conversant > CJ, seriously hamstrings the company.

"Mistreating Employees & Going Downhill"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fellow co-workers are helpful and talented. I've become close friends with many of my CJ co-workers. The benefits (401k, flex time, etc.) are on-par with most other companies.

Cons

Toxic culture. Management revolves around politics and favoritism. They are losing all of the best and long-term employees due to mistreatment. Management doesn't care who is working hard, maintaining client satisfaction, or accomplishing their goals. Instead they care about their buddies and favorites, and leave the rest of the employees in the dust. The employees work hard on building a positive culture, but the management style has helped ruin that culture and pit people against each other. Pay is low compared to the rest of the industry, and they are extremely stingy with raises.

Advice to Management

You're losing all of your top talent.. start investing in your employees! Current directors and senior managers need to be replaced.

"Awesome people, but overwhelmed with underwhelming work"

Former Employee - Associate Client Integration Engineer in Westborough, MA
    Former Employee - Associate Client Integration Engineer in Westborough, MA

I worked at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great place to start your career.
    - Tons of training, and they ease you into actual work slowly, allowing plenty of time to familiarize yourself.
    - The people at CJ are great. My former department, Client Integrations, had some of the best people I'll probably ever meet in my career.
    - Pretty good benefits.

Cons

- Below industry average pay.
    - You will loaded up with what was in my opinion very underwhelming work. In my department, Client Integrations, I can tell you that calling it "engineering" as the title suggests is a long shot. Every single solution you look at is designed for you already, with only minor details needing to be worked out. It's technical consulting packaged into an attractive title.
    - But don't worry about actual work, because that doesn't matter. Leadership essentially only cares about your "Goals" which are side projects in addition to your actual work. If you have 1 or 2 hours a week to work on your goals you are lucky.
    - Most of the more advanced roles are filled by people who have been there for years, so moving up is an extremely slow process.
    - They will tell you there is tons of room to grow into other departments but you'll likely never see it or it'll be a long time before you do because management/leadership is utterly consumed with the work you're doing in your current role, without much concern for what you might like to do in the future.
    - The environment is corporate. You will likely follow a process Wiki page for every task you do, with the opportunity to pave a path forward or invent a new way of doing things being rare and difficult. It becomes unbearably mundane very quickly.

Advice to Management

My advice to any management reading this would be to care more about the day to day work your employees do, and care more about how they envision their future. Regardless of which department you're coming from, it's unlikely your staff see the role they're in as the last in their career. Specifically to the Client Integrations department - if you want to maintain technical talent, you need to find a way to make the day to day work more stimulating without piling on more goals.

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Engineers are given autonomy to choose the tools and processes that solve the business demands
    - Good work/life balance
    - Experienced and friendly colleagues
    - Cutting-edge technologies, agile development

Cons

- Nothing significant so far

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to feedback from the team members.