CJ Affiliate by Conversant Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
CJ Affiliate by Conversant President Waleed Al-Atraqchi
Waleed Al-Atraqchi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • People, company size, work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Great people; interesting work; laid back environment; (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Channel is the smallest for most advertisers so it receives little budget (in 3 reviews)

"Outlook Great!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CJ is an awesome place to work and there are a lot of exciting things happening daily, especially more recently with the launch of some new products. Great people, collaborative environment, lots of opportunity for growth and moving up or around to different divisions. Global company, many offices worldwide with opportunities to relocate. Lots of enthusiastic, passionate people who are extremely bright and talented, work hard, but also know how to have fun. Not a lot of people with big egos here--we are one big happy family. If you enjoy working with small and large teams, this is the place for you. The company is innovating tremendously and launching lots of new products, which makes it an exciting and interesting place to work. We are constantly learning new things and there is never a dull day at CJ. We're encouraged to think outside the box, come up with new ideas and test them out. The company also hosts the largest and most exciting affiliate event in the world, CJU, which is a great opportunity to connect with thousands of business and people. Location pros: the SF office is in a great location, surrounded by many restaurants and bars (perfect for afterwork Happy Hours), we are steps away from the Montgormery St station, we have access to free gym and we get free bagels and lunch weekly.

Cons

Pay could be a bit better. On a lighter note, you get paid to work with great people and clients, and learn about an exciting industry and network/build relationships with thousands of advertisers and publishers, which is priceless. Work/life balance is excellent as well, which some say makes up for the difference in pay significantly.

2. "Blowing in the Wind"

I worked at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Used to have a good culture where everyone was collaborative. Generally nice people. Tries to maintain good benefits and budgets money and time for teams to have fun together.

Cons

The company literally and figuratively has no vision. Strategy is driven by the loudest client threatening to leave which leads to a constant state of scrambling. There is a dog-eat-dog culture of open disrespect and this is slowly driving out all of the high-performers. Low-performers are allowed to stay for many years without contributing and barely showing up enough to do their jobs. The leadership team is comprised of aggressive personalities with little to no experience in their respective fields.

Advice to Management

Focus on core offering rather than bright shiny objects to bring more in line with the competition. Also don't forget about retaining good employees in the process. Retention isn't always about money (though that can significantly improve) but is often about fostering a healthy work environment where nobody feels attacked in their jobs.

"Positive Trajectory if Talent is Retained"

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time

Pros

Great office environment -- smart, fastidious teams who look to collaborate proactively.

Cons

Going to have a tough time retaining highly contributive/sought-out team members with the current promotional/compensation structure in-place.

"No work life balance."

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time

Pros

The company offers a lot of perks. Of course it's in Santa Barbara, so that is already a perk. Free donuts and bagels on Fridays. And there is a lot given back to the community.

Cons

There is absolutely no work life balance. You are expected to work VERY long hours. Mostly everyone is on salary so there is no overtime pay. It is expected that you work and put 200% in your job. There is no option for family. The vacation is said to be unlimited, but that is not the case. Some are allowed to take multiple vacations while others don't get the same treatment. There is no fairness to the vacation policy. Working from home is an option for some-but not all. No lunches. No breaks. You can get burnt out very easily. The pay is not enough to cover how many hours of work there are.

Advice to Management

Please understand that employees need to have a life outside of work. We will put in every effort while at work but there needs to be time to unplug.

"If you work hard and care about your clients, this can be an amazing home for you"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great family, strong potential, health and collaborative culture, great mission

Cons

Growing pains, tied to enormous corporation which can drive slow communication sometimes, but very little to complain about

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, and don't forget about the value of each and every employee's training and experience working at CJ

6. "Great culture, great perks, unclear future"

I worked at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time

Pros

Amazing people, lunch once a week, free snacks, challenging work

Cons

No major cons. There was a lot of shifting in the company when I left - suggest a better plan of action to prevent people falling through the cracks.

7. "Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I worked at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good reputation in the field, strong technology platform, great consultative resources

Cons

highest cost in the space, charging customers biggest percentage rates for their commissions.

Advice to Management

lower rates

"Bad surprise!"

Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really great product and company culture. Great network. Good sales teams. Good sales leader East Coast.

Cons

It used to be a great company but the founders/owners left and a new management took over. His style is really tough and does not fit with our nice culture. Talented people leave and are replaced by brown-nosers.

Advice to Management

Go out and listen to clients. Come back in and listen to employees. Alternatively get a management coach. Not everyone is motivated by $... especially WASPs.

9. "Fun company, questionable direction"

Former Employee - Associate Account Manager in Westborough, MA
    Former Employee - Associate Account Manager in Westborough, MA

I worked at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Young work environment with lots of energy and excitement and camaraderie. Fun events and nice office. They give you the opportunity to manage your own portfolio and make a name for yourself. Pay is average.

Cons

Direction of company initiatives has been all over the place. With the buyouts and changes in management, things are hopefully headed in the right direction, but new product and service rollouts were always too hasty, and there was a constant disconnect between the product development/sales side and the account management teams' preparedness. We didn't know how to use the tools we were being told to sell, and we were "graded" on how well we sold the products. They felt like ultimatums that there would be consequences if we didn't sell clients on products that were neither ready nor effective. Advancement structure in the company was completely based on people leaving or moving up, so merit alone would not get you promoted in a timely fashion.

Senior management was really approachable and friendly. They only get two stars however because of the disconnect on company direction and poor implementation of initiatives.

Stock plan crashed with buyout from Alliance Data Systems, so that was a bummer.

Advice to Management

Sync up the marketing/sales/product teams with the account management teams more effectively so there isn't a huge disconnect between what's expected and what we can actually deliver upon. Consider a merit-based promotion system, particularly for ARs to AAMs to AMs so that we don't just feel like we're waiting for somebody to quit or get hired and then have a passive-aggressive internal competition for the opening. There are plenty of qualified individuals who would shine as AAMs if just given the chance; it's tough to feel like you're being looked past and held down just because the quota of AAMs is already full.

Also, balance portfolios more effectively between team members. I was often bored to tears with so little to do while other AAMs were staying until 7pm most nights.

10. "Software engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at CJ Affiliate by Conversant (More than a year)

Pros

Great people; interesting work; laid back environment;

Cons

No cons really. Great experience overall.