CJ Affiliate by Conversant Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
CJ Affiliate by Conversant President Waleed Al-Atraqchi
Waleed Al-Atraqchi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people; interesting work; laid back environment; (in 8 reviews)

• For those in the Santa Barbara HQ, location is great (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • CJ was once a company that embraced work/life balance but now it's nothing but a sweatshop (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management has been so focused on making the company look good to buyers, that it's not paying due diligence to its' employees (in 4 reviews)

"Best Place I've ever worked"

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The place is supportive, creative, and employee driven.

Cons

Employee appreciation of how good it is to work here.

"Great culture, supportive leadership, fulfilling work."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing culture, especially in the main Santa Barbara office - colleagues become friends and bosses become those rare managers that are personally invested in your success and your growth.

The work itself is challenging but fulfilling - it's a fast-paced industry and to succeed and be happy within it you need to be a self-starter with the desire to learn and grow and be flexible enough to move fast and pivot often. It's a great company to build marketable skills that you'll be able to leverage in any future job across a wide range of industries.

Org/structure changes are expected when new leadership comes on board - volatility is hard, but most of that difficulty just boils down to growing pains. There were a lot of processes that were previously in place for the wrong reason - i.e. because it had always been done that way and it was too hard to change. I think that the company is on the right track - great leadership in place to make the right decisions to ensure that CJ continues to grow and innovate.

Cons

While leadership has been moving the company toward product investment over the last few years, there's still a gap that needs to be made up - the size of the company can sometimes hinder product innovation.

Pay is often not on par with industry standard - the experience that I got during my years there offset the salary gap ten times over, but just something to be aware of.

Advice to Management

The ability to build and update products without red tape is a luxury that our competitors are taking advantage of. Keep pushing for product innovation and don't just ask teams to move fast and work hard - give them tangible dollar incentives to do so. Raising the bar on comp for your people is not a short-term cost, it's a long-term investment in success.

"Best place to work I have found so far"

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time

Pros

Lots of smart people to learn from.
    They actually do pairing and test driven development.
    Broken up into 4-6 person engineering teams that are allowed to make their own decisions.
    Haven't seen any political infighting, which is pretty rare, but maybe I was unlucky before now.

Cons

There is a large code base over ten years old that we still maintain.

Advice to Management

Whatever you are doing to prevent office politics, keep it up, it so much nicer than what I am used to.

"Great place to work"

Pros

1. Tons of autonomy
    2. Extremely collaborative environment
    3. Great values

Cons

No cons as of yet!

"Not what it used to be"

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time

Pros

There are some great people at CJ and you will make some lifetime friends. You do get great experience, just sometimes not worth the stress.

Cons

The newer upper management’s philosophy is work more and do more with less people. The workload is overwhelming and the pay is less than the industry average. It’s been a stressful environment being pushed to sell to clients. Flex time off policy makes people feel as if they can’t take time off.

Advice to Management

Don’t push people to their breaking points and reevaluate company goals as it has seemingly turned into a sales focused company that doesn’t care about their employees.

"Only Good for Recent Grads- Not Long-term"

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time

Pros

- Really nice people in general. Everyone is friendly and welcoming
    - Good resume builder to get your foot in the door at a professional company
    - Not a particularly high salary, but decent for entry level.

Cons

- Salary does not scale well as you move up the company
    - Opportunities for growth become scarce after one promotion
    - Upper management completely changed recently. It is now a boy's club of old friends at the top. This is openly discussed among employees. Employees are uninspired by leadership.
    -Moral is LOW, many long time employees at the company say the company has gone downhill and they feel the company no longer cares. I have seen several people leave the company and know of more who are looking for new opportunities actively, some who have been here 5-10 years.
    - More work is being thrown at employees without proper resources to support it. Instead of hiring another person or persons, they overfill everyone's plates and in addition add extra pointless tasks on top of our already full plate (they say this is meant to help us develop and shouldn't be extra work, but that's exactly what it is).

Advice to Management

- Hire more people instead of blaming employees for not being able to do the work of 2-3 people and moving work around
    - Listen to your employees and realize you may be in a bubble at the top levels of management

"Started strong but downhill from there"

Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Westborough, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Westborough, MA

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People you get to work with. Everyone is willing to help, majority of the time with a positive attitude. Other departments also happy to help with any questions.

Cons

- management is all over the place. One day it’s this, the next it’s completely different
    - stacks work upon work even when they know you are already at your limit
    - turnover rate is said to be “normal” but people seem to drop left and right
    - not much room to move up. Only can if someone else above you leaves, and even then you go against every other office so someone could take over who has significantly less experience, just better at interviewing
    - recognition is essentially a joke. You can maybe earn points for perks, but the same people are the ones getting recognized
    - employees are taking a TON of advantage of the flexible vacation time and sick days. Some people will take weeks off while others take one or two to save them up, then the ones who use over two weeks get even more. Management doesn’t entirely seem to care

Advice to Management

Stick to a plan and stop shifting so quickly. It causes massive workloads for employees and leaves the good ones to pick up the pieces of the others who come in late and leave early

"If you are useless and incompetent, this is the company for you"

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Let me start off by saying that CJ used to be an amazing company to work for. In its heyday, CJ was the best affiliate network in the industry. The President cared about its employees, you were encouraged to maintain a normal work schedule and spend time with your family, and your co-workers/bosses supported you to grow within the organization. Fast forward to today - new President who could care less about you or your well-being. Leadership that is so sales-driven, they've completely lost sight of the core values CJ was founded on. High, high, high turn over - so you are now doing the work of 3 people but still being told your work is not good enough (because heaven-forbid you use the wrong font in a power-point deck). It's a sinking ship. Trust the bad reviews - they ain't lying. The only pro to this place today is that's a great stepping stone to getting experience and building relationships. With some luck, you might find a company/client to work for that actually values you and your hard work. However, client retention hasn't been great either, so I wouldn't bank on that.

Cons

I don't even know where to begin.....

It's bad people! If you are terrible at your job and you do the bare minimum BUT you send a couple emails late at night and really suck-up to leadership, you will do fantastic here! Shoot, you will likely get promoted within months. If you have any type of work ethic or integrity and you work really hard during normal business hours, expect a ton of work and absolutely no gratitude. Also, expect terrible medical benefits. I mean terrible. That's on top of the very mediocre pay and unrealistic goals (no bonus for you). If you play your cards right, you might get a 2-3% increase annually, but no guarantee there.

Advice to Management

ADS - fire these people! How is this man still in charge of the company?? Fire everyone he's hired too. Then re-hire people who actually understand this industry and cares about PEOPLE and not NUMBERS. You can probably just source from all the amazing leaders that peaced-out or were booted out thanks to our President. Also, stop promoting people into mgmt roles without any type of mgmt training. It's just bad. Lastly, stop asking us to vote for any of the company divisions as the "Best Places to Work". Are you reading these reviews? Get serious.

"We pay women less - and where work horses go to die"

Current Employee - Manager in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not much at this point. Our benefits have been cut dramatically since our CEO came on board about 2 years ago and with Santa Barbara being a hot bed of tech companies, we are far behind the curve of being competitive. The only, and I mean only, pro I see here is making connections to get a job else where.

Cons

Women are paid less. I am a male and know for a fact that women are paid less, even though they have more years in the same position and increase account revenues more than myself. The CEO is all about stock value, so our out of pocket benefits have increased to nearly $3k per person in our household. Bonuses have been reduced year over year and culture is going downhill.

Advice to Management

Be a real person. Ask yourself if you would treat your own family member this way and tell your own family that when they attend company parties, to stay sober. They seem to get a bit handsy.

CJ Affiliate by Conversant Response

May 9, 2018 – Content Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are committed to equal pay, gender equality, and professional conduct in our workplace. We encourage you to report your concerns to our anonymous Ethics... More

"Too little too late"

I have been working at CJ Affiliate by Conversant full-time

Pros

People. Most of the midlevel employees you come across and work with are genuinely talented and helpful. Exposure to work with top brands and influncers.

Cons

New hires beware, you will be lured in with a tour around the office and talk about a super fun enviornment but look at the faces of everyone around, its a soul sucking affiliate farm. No resources, both tech/product and teams are completely shorthanded but expected to do the job of 2-3 people. There is no compensation for added work and the new normal is to just work late and on weekends to meet the demands. All the good employees are leaving in large numbers (you should ask how long the person stayed in the position before you and whether they left or got promoted...) False sense of hope that things are improving, all you hear about is change coming but in the last year things have not improved and rapidly declined in the work life balance and quality of relationships between people across departments.

Advice to Management

Take care of the people you already have working for you! Ask them if they are happy and if not, change what the issues are - the longer you keep ignoring this, the more people will keep leaving and having a pipeline of hiring new people will not solve this. Stop promoting people out of necessity and favoritsm. Hard workers aren’t recognized unless they’re friends with directors or managers. No level of trust between employees and leadership. Also compensation is very poor, for the type of work that is demanded, way below industry average and compared to cost of living in the cities where most offices are.